HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:43 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,121 Posts
Question
Hobbywing ESC PWM frequency?

With three Hobbywing ESCs now (C-Platinum 60A and 120A) I decided to invest in a programming card.

But, reading the instructions carefully, I have a dilemma: The data printed on the front of the card says that Item 9, PWM Frequency, is 12KHz or 24KHz for options 1 or 2 respectively; but the instructions for the ESCs say that the PWM Frequency is 12KHz (default) or 8KHz.

Using the card on the ESCs confirms that they're all set at option 1 for PWM Frequency. Am I safe to assume that if I use the card to switch them to option 2, I'll be setting them to 8KHz as per the ESC instructions, rather than 24KHz as the card says.

What difference does the PWM Frequency make to the motor? The instructions with the ESCs say that higher PWM might make high-revving motors run more smoothly, but higher PWM will cause the ESC to run hotter. I've had no problems running some of the motors with older Jeti ESCs which, I believe, are 8KHz (don't know why I think that), so I'm tempted to turn the Hobbywings down to 8KHz if that's possible and if it will keep them cooler.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:00 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,163 Posts
The newer platinum pro blue version did away with data logging and 24khz option versus the older platinum black version.
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:47 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,121 Posts
Mine are the blue Platinum Pro. So, if I select option 2 for PWM Frequency, that'll set the ESC to 8KHz?

I think I've found a good article which explains the pros and cons of different PWM frequencies here http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hil...llersBody.html: If I read it correctly, higher frequency basically means less losses in the circuit. But what you gain be using higher frequency must surely be cancelled out to some extent by the extra heating of the ESC that they mention in my instructions?
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:49 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,320 Posts
That is a great article. Thanks for posting the link.

If you go back to it's home page it is from folks interested in making fighting robots. That is a definitely a "different strokes for different folks" kind of hobby...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,121 Posts
Well, I've just had two good flights today with my Learjet, which uses two of the Hobbywing 60A ESCs for its Wemotec ducted fans, and no problems so I'm going to leave the PWM setting on default 12KHz.