HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:07 PM
China
Joined Jul 2010
358 Posts
Discussion
Skywalker or Lanyu FPV Raptor?

Skywalker or Lanyu FPV Raptor?
Interesting question, ain't it? for FPV pilots now choice is gonna get tough i think

Just got and setup my two Lanyu FPV Raptors. the FPV Birds that we were waiting for so long after my first test flights of hand made model and my pleasing fast flying experiments pushing the bird to limits.

Well now the final versions are here. I am the proud owner, the first in the world to have them in my hands.

Check pictures that are attached here.

Assembly was like 10 minutes job. a quick look at finished product and my impression and opinions are here. Mind you, these are preflight opinions and they might change after flights hahahaha.

pre flight impression and opinion

Assembly 5 to 10 minutes, quick and easy
Looks just awesome. Specially the 2m wing span looks a great fpv bird that will glide for sure even for an hour if there are big winds and soaring places.
Fuselage PVC, rigid and tough, crash resistance.
Plenty of space inside fuselage and under canopy to put all your FPV weapons that you need including big ass 4 or 8S battery packs.
stock motor and Esc suit for beginners flying to learn to fly or to learn to fpv short range.
For long range FPV for sure I will go for new metal gear servos, new 1050kv or 950kv spinning apc 9x6 prop or atleast APC 8x6 prop.
Looks like the FPV Raptor 1.6m will pick up better speed than the FPVRaptor EX 2m wing span.
2m will glider better and longer giving us more flight time
2m comes with preinstalled flaps which are awesome. I will use them on both upward for quick dive and downward for better landings and gliding.
1.6m optional flaps are there but no servos. user can install servos n cut flaps in no time at all.

Now all the above are current observations and opinions. FPV Raptors are sweet FPV birds. Serious pilots and long range FPV pilots need to use their own good servos, motor and ESC with 8S or 4S Setup as per their taste

it will come with options mini dv cameras but hey nothing beats GOPro HD

Now my plan is

Bring both birds out (1.6m setup with my DX7, 2m setup with my Futaba 10C) put on my test FPV System short range with FY OSD and try to record a ground DVR video of what camera will see to see how fast these birds will go with normal FPV system on board and with stock servos, ESC and motor setup using 11.1v 2200mAh battery and or 3300mAh battery 30C.

2nd, put on my powerful motors 950 and 1050kv with bigger prop APC 8x6 or 9x6, with hobbywing 60Amp ESC, UBEC and big ass 14.8v battery or maybe a 6S yeah baby. put on some dummy weight equal to goPro and all the long range FPV gear i am gonna put on FPV Raptor later (plenty of stones at our flying field lol) and fly it to see what flight time do we get and what Amps do we drain on cruise throttle

Finally put on my ChainLink and try to attempt 10km to 15km Flight in this Sad weather city LOL

now the question is

Will FPV Raptor beat Skywalker? cuz my skywalker seems like smiling looking at these newbies

What is the answer? we are going to find out after we fly Raptors with mods and Long Range FPV systems onboard.

keep an eye on my channel www.youtube.com/alishanmao to keep updated via my new review videos on these new FPV birds.

Cheers.

and do reply me on my question here.

AliShanMao
alishanmao is offline Find More Posts by alishanmao
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:12 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
Finally!!!!!
, It took 2 months after the set release date

I'm interested in the LongRange 2m Rapture.

now the question is

Will FPV Raptor beat Skywalker? cuz my skywalker seems like smiling looking at these newbies

What is the answer? we are going to find out after we fly Raptors with mods and Long Range FPV systems onboard.

keep an eye on my channel www.youtube.com/alishanmao to keep updated via my new review videos on these new FPV birds.

Cheers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404693

LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:20 PM
China
Joined Jul 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Finally!!!!!
, It took 2 months after the set release date

I'm interested in the LongRange 2m Rapture.

now the question is

Cheers.

I am happy for how they look after assembly. Servos are looking good and stock motor has plenty of thrust (Tested at home)

I am not very satisfied with Plastic clevis that Lanyu used. I had to put fuel tubing on them, I am just afraid they will give up on load. gotta do something about it and or use better clevis before i go long range flight with my sweet Long Range FPV Setup and GoPro onboard, might install same servos that I use on Skywalker, EMAX metal gear one.

But let us see how will they fly with test FPV system on board, how will they behave in the air, and most important how will they behave with modified motors / custom motor, esc and battery setup (4S) and dummy load.

after that, Long range flight here i come, either Skywalker or FPV raptor.

but for sure they are gonna offer more speed, however I am not sure if they will beat the minimum Amps used on cruise throttle by Skywalker. That damn flying tank with all equipment drains only 4.5Amps while cruising at good speed.

fingers crossed. either we have a winner in hands or Lanyu gotta work a bit more to beat skywalker.

can't wait to bring these babies outside.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:34 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
alishanmao

when are you going to post "updated" vids of this new Raptor?

your vids on your YouTube are all helis' (boring)

we want FPV

Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:41 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,117 Posts
The main problem I see with the Raptor is that the gear bay doesn't extend
as far (if at all?) under the wings, so with a GoPro and a big battery up front it could easily go
nose heavy, and there's not much you can do about it. That's what I love
about the SkyWalker's bay. Can fly a 3300mAh battery up in the front of
the hose, or a 5000 in the middle, or two 5Ah batteries further back and it'll
always balance. The Raptor may be faster, but I think SW will still have the legs on it.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:55 PM
China
Joined Jul 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
alishanmao

when are you going to post "updated" vids of this new Raptor?

your vids on your YouTube are all helis' (boring)

we want FPV

Very soon mate. Myself dying to do some good FPV. i have setup my dvr for recording too and it works well so far. also planning to do FPV on T580 quad but winds are like 18kmph Gusts so FPV Raptors come in for testing. Vids coming soon mate
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:58 PM
China
Joined Jul 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The main problem I see with the Raptor is that the gear bay doesn't extend
as far (if at all?) under the wings, so with a GoPro and a big battery up front it could easily go
nose heavy, and there's not much you can do about it. That's what I love
about the SkyWalker's bay. Can fly a 3300mAh battery up in the front of
the hose, or a 5000 in the middle, or two 5Ah batteries further back and it'll
always balance. The Raptor may be faster, but I think SW will still have the legs on it.

ian
well tomorrow after posting the unboxing and assembly videos, I am gonna shoot a closer look and ideas on mounting stuff and balancing the planes videos in the field (if weather is good), we can remove the top (black canopy) and cut / modify the foam to mount stuff on top of wing like a go Pro near motor to balance the plane with big battery

These are new products and we all have to see if they are gonna go one step ahead of SW. we need to see how flexible these raptors are in terms of modifications by pilot for their own taste and better performance of these raptors.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:24 PM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,374 Posts
are these planes for sale yet ?????
they look very good
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:29 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,477 Posts
What foam to cut? in the initial post you wrote "Fuselage PVC", for me this has a different meaning than foam.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:09 PM
China
Joined Jul 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
What foam to cut? in the initial post you wrote "Fuselage PVC", for me this has a different meaning than foam.
if you look at the picture. Behind the black canopy, the white piece that goes all the way to motor tower is made of foam mate. thats what you can modify easily

only the fuselage is pvc, under the canopy, is foam, behind canopy till motor tower is foam. Motor tower is pvc too.

I will post detailed pictures today on this forum and on FPVLabs and videos will be coming on my youtube channel soon
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:09 PM
China
Joined Jul 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick39 View Post
are these planes for sale yet ?????
they look very good
well they should be rolling out soon.

just i hope i do not find any major issues hehehe else lanyu has to stop and fix it before mass production. fingers crossed. today is damn windy, but we will maiden them
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:56 AM
Keith
Australia, New South Wales, Newcastle
Joined Apr 2011
337 Posts
Any word on pricing yet? I hope they release a bare version so we can install our own gear.
basadia is offline Find More Posts by basadia
Old Jul 04, 2011, 07:42 AM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,374 Posts
i hope to see some more pictures

how the inside of the fusalage looks like , how the wings are connected and so on , that would be great

i am looking for a plane to replace my easystar

patrick
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Jul 04, 2011, 07:56 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
I can't wait to see some specs' and pictures.....
Old Jul 04, 2011, 07:59 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,842 Posts
LOL

I started the Rapture awhile back (~4 months ago).... its great that AlishanMao has finally gotten the real version himself....

Lanyu FPV Raptors Unboxing Review (6 min 44 sec)

How to Assemble Lanyu FPV Raptor (7 min 46 sec)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Jul 04, 2011 at 08:08 AM.