RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
France
Joined Aug 2003
987 Posts
Yes Reto ,

In fact, the south slope of "Le col du glandon".

This site is very good for F3F, because the lift is very consistent, with very very few thermal effect.

The south slope is smoother while the north slope is sharper as you can see on this video taken last year:

Glandon2010 (1 min 41 sec)

cheers,

Pierre
prondel is online now Find More Posts by prondel
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:44 PM
France
Joined Aug 2003
987 Posts
another video about the Pike Precision:

Pike Precision (3 min 20 sec)
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:57 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,468 Posts
Pierre,

I hope we can meet in person some day! I love your videos! I am a huge fan of the tour de france and seeing a slope site on the Col du Glandon is awesome!!

Your paint on the Precision is also one of the most creative and beautiful I have ever seen. It is very easy to see and very unique.

-Aaron
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:34 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
360 Posts
That thing hauls! Any comparison yet between the Pike and Rotomilan. Beautiful place to fly!
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:56 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,930 Posts
Precision

Pierre,
Beautiful!
A little more ballast this time?

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:36 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Pierre,

I hope we can meet in person some day! I love your videos! I am a huge fan of the tour de france and seeing a slope site on the Col du Glandon is awesome!!

Your paint on the Precision is also one of the most creative and beautiful I have ever seen. It is very easy to see and very unique.

-Aaron
Thanks Aaron ,

I hope to return one day to US, and california. My last stay in LA was back in 1998 while I was working For Hewlett Packard.

The col du glandon has been crossed 13 times. Last time was in 2004.

To be honest, I started form the prototype color scheme and modified it. Credit goes to Radovan Plch (CZ) who received the first exemplar. What I like when flyin on the north slope is that you have the Mont Blanc (4810m) in background.

Cheers,

Pierre
www.planet-soaring.com
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:43 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Pierre,
Beautiful!
A little more ballast this time?

Best,
Bob
Well observed Bob !

I was flying with 1kg of ballast. The wind was between 30 and 40 km/h I would say.

This place is called col de faisses. This is a wild place which is used for cows in the summer. there is a south and north slope.

On the video, I was standing on the dirty road you can see on the left of the picture.

On the picture you can see a superbe sharp edge that is great for DS. I will return there with my D60 to try one day

Pierre
Last edited by prondel; Sep 18, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:53 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn in NorCal View Post
That thing hauls! Any comparison yet between the Pike and Rotomilan. Beautiful place to fly!
I start to read and understand their nature and personality.

The same day, I was flying the Rotmilan with 700g of ballast, and the Pike with 1000kg.

The Pike Precision behaves like an Alliaj HM showing massive lift in turns, carrying easily plenty of ballast. I think I'm close to the rigth settings, with 100 to 101mm for the CG (initially, I started with 102mm).

The Rotmilan is more a racer, in the line of the Extreme F3F, but more performant than its predecessor. I haven't found the best compromise of snap flap on it yet, but I'm approaching.

From what I see, they have comparable straight speed.

Then it's a matter of taste, and piloting style.

Pierre
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:29 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,435 Posts
Pierre, amazing pics ! Added that to my bucket list. I would love to bring my d60 and DS there
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new plane
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:37 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
987 Posts
more pics of this place here:

http://pierre.rondel.free.fr/images2/ColDeFaissesAP/

Altitude: of the summit, l'Obiou: 2 789m

This mountain is sadly known for 2 airplane crashes:

- In 1946, a plane from the US airforce hitted one of the faces of the mountain.

- In 1950 a DC4 with canadian Pelerins (58 passengers) flying from Rome to Paris, after a navigation mistake.

Pierre
Old Sep 18, 2011, 06:34 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,468 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Pierre! I hope to get back to Europe again soon. It would be great to do some more flying over there. Please continue with the updates. I enjoy both the model pictures and the french countryside
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:27 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
The Pike Precision has arrived!!! It got here in perfect condition. I will shoot some pics of it this afternoon and get them up for all to drool over. You may even notice a bit of my own tasty drool on the glider here and there From the looks, and the fit and finish of this glider, it has a ton of potential.

I may start a new thread, not sure.

Cheers.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:29 PM
Let's find some thermals!
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
The Pike Precision has arrived!!! It got here in perfect condition. I will shoot some pics of it this afternoon and get them up for all to drool over. You may even notice a bit of my own tasty drool on the glider here and there From the looks, and the fit and finish of this glider, it has a ton of potential.

I may start a new thread, not sure.

Cheers.

Mike

Finally, I'm looking forward to your posts!
seaspb is offline Find More Posts by seaspb
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:52 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
- - - - - - - p r e c i s i o n - - - - - - - - -

OK, here are some first quick pics of the new bird as it came out of the box.

Better pictures will be taken later, showing some of the amazing detail work that this model boasts.

The Fit and Finish are truly TOP NOTCH. The thing just clicks together, with no gaps, no play, and a nice tight seal at the wing roots, stab roots, and nose cone. The little tail cone cover is also a nice tight fitting little piece as well.

Hopefully you will be able to see the Spread Tow in some of the shots of the bottom of the wing. Sweet looking material.

Nothing has been weighed yet. I am not normally someone that weighs things, but since many of you are interested, I will weigh all components and report the results. Note servos are already in the wings. Since I am a team JR pilot, I opted to use the JR 378HV servos. MKS are available too. I will likely fit out the fuse with 388hv's and maybe even a LiFe pack. Not sure about that yet...don't really want another charging system, but might be worth it in this case.

So here you go, just a super sweet piece of Czech craftsmanship. Samba knows how to build these things, and we will put it through its paces and see if the Precision can keep up with the FS4's, FOSA's, and Targets and such...

More later.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B