Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2011, 11:49 AM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Cody-

Is that the price WITH the servos that come in the wing?? If so, which servos?

R,
Target
Hey Target,

That is the airframe price. We offer the Precision with 10 different options from different layups to servos installed to RTF models. Give us a call I can tell the many different options. We can even get it completely setup on the SD-10G so all you have to do is charge and fly.

Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:48 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody303 View Post
We can even get it completely setup on the SD-10G so all you have to do is charge and fly.

Cody
What? Can it not be ordered precharged too??

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Sep 02, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,772 Posts
So Cody,
The Precision is designed to have the servos mounted when the wing is joined. How do you offer an airframe with no servos????? Or is this just a loss leader price and the servos are an additional price???? LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Sep 02, 2011, 03:15 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prondel View Post
Here is the picture I promissed. According to Samba, it works. I will tell you , given that I'm flying Jeti Duplex.

Regarding the ballast. I don't know where is located the CG, but I guess it is between the rear ballast compartiment and the joiner, and by mixing ballast, you can keep the CG at the same location.

The long brass ballast goes in one wing, the 2 shorts in the other wing.

Yes, it's RDS installed at factory.
If one wants the extra security just dremmel a 6x1cm hole in the inner cone and install the antenna in the middle of it and secure with tape. Have worked for me very well in a Freestyler 3. Got me th erange needed for F3B waaay out in any angle (with the other antenna opposite side).

Jojo
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Sep 02, 2011, 04:20 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,421 Posts
My understanding is the entire sub-nose is carbon? If so, that is completely baffling given the prevalence of 2.4-friendly fuses these days...and because Samba was one of the first out of the gate to fully embrace 2.4 with the kevlar-nosed Perfect fuse a few years ago.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:09 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
My understanding is the entire sub-nose is carbon? If so, that is completely baffling given the prevalence of 2.4-friendly fuses these days...and because Samba was one of the first out of the gate to fully embrace 2.4 with the kevlar-nosed Perfect fuse a few years ago.

Tom
These are much thinner noses and will land in rugged terrain flying F3F. BUT we have discussed and new precision fuses will have kevlar/glass in the upmost front area and the area in front of wing (were the most landing forces are) will be carbon.
It is anyhow no problem to get full range since the inner cone is so open.

Jojo
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:35 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
So Cody,
The Precision is designed to have the servos mounted when the wing is joined. How do you offer an airframe with no servos????? Or is this just a loss leader price and the servos are an additional price???? LJ
That's what I was wondering....
It's a little like saying a plane is XXXX dollars, but the tail is extra!

So, the airframe is that amount, but you have to buy servos which come pre-mounted, and you have choices of which ones I guess, which raises the price substantially, but save you some work.

Anywho, just trying to see what the price out the door is for a fully blown new F3B plane.
I like the idea of the wing being sealed, since lacking bays would leave the wing very stiff.
BUT (and there allways is the one but!), it would be a bummer if a servo or RDS drive stripped at a competition.... I don't think you can grab a second plane in F3B if you are between tasks, right??

Maybe, a solution would be just as simple as using a very light scribe in the mold showing where the servos are, or maybe a paint scheme with a diamond where the servos are??

My thoughts (and who cares??) is that shoving a servo into a square hole at a 45* angle to the bay is a bummer.
What I'd like to see, is a round bay, round cover, and for bonus points, a balsa end-grain tube, with light bias ply glass both sides, sandwiched between the wings skins outside the round bay. A hole in that could allow the RDS shaft to pass through, and I think the wing and servo mounting would be really quite stiff...

A little complicated though, and it would have to be done while the wing halves were open....
I feel a bit like a mad scientist (or Tuan!)....

Thanks for the reply Cody. Looking forward to Visalia so I can BS with all the folks like you that I never hardly get to see.

VR,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Sep 02, 2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: angle DOES have an "L" in it...
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:23 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,505 Posts
I agree it's strange to quote the airframe price without the cost of the built-in servos. He should have said "the plane with 4 6125's is $$$ but we're currently taking orders for a future variant with empty bays at $1950 for sadists who prefer to install their own servos"

Anyway, there have been a number of designs over the years with round servo bays. While that allows for indecisive folks to try every possible orientation, structurally it's not that great of an improvement and it may actually restrict servo access for conventional installs where the servo is butted against the spar. The big problem with round bays however is that many modelers are unable to figure out a way to tape them up.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:10 AM
Suomi, Länsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
I agree it's strange to quote the airframe price without the cost of the built-in servos. He should have said "the plane with 4 6125's is $$$ but we're currently taking orders for a future variant with empty bays at $1950 for sadists who prefer to install their own servos"
Isn't that a masochist instead?
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:40 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
987 Posts
I flew the whole week-end without a glitch despite the full carbon fuselage. But it is true that my radio is not a Spektrum !!!
prondel is offline Find More Posts by prondel
Last edited by prondel; Sep 03, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:44 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prondel View Post
I flew the whole week-end without a glitch despite the full carbon fuselage. But it is true that my radio is not a Spektrum !!!
Here we go

I have spektrum
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:52 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,453 Posts
The servo bays is very stiff on this model. The servo bay have carbon/balsa end grain on all sides. I have pictures but not sure I would like to post them.
The Precision CAN be ordered without servos but then customer will have to cut the servo holes himself. It is not an option for Samba to make ready made holes as they offer it with all the best servos on the market. One can choose on both JR/Graupner/MKS so I think there should be no reason to have servo holes.
To have no holes is part of why this model is dead stiff in torsion. Radovan Plch have had to cut some of the holes in production nr.1 model. That was no problem and it is easy to find were to cut.

Jojo
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:21 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,488 Posts
Target. You have to fly a round (speed, distance, duration) with the same model in f3b. AFAIK. You can change models between rounds. I don't know how they run it in most comps. In ours the tasks are mixed up.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:45 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,453 Posts
Bumping this thread seriously now just because I am envy of those having one
Got to see two Pike Precision fly in Austria (Nockalm 27-28/8). They were going to have Eurotour but after one round they called it off because of rain. The rain stopped but a new front was coming in. Me and my friend went up on the top to check the conditions (2145m on top). Lovely sunshine but we could see something coming. Halfway down again we met the guys coming up for a practice session so we went up again... counting the seconds beetween the lightning and thunder was a good help for when to go down! 14km - 7km - 3km - ok down.
It was not any good conditions but it was nice to see the Precision in action. radovan flew with CG 96-97 and ballast in joiner. Popping my eyes over the edge and it was just a small breeze (maybe the legal limit of 3m/s). Flying slow and I got him to pull elevator a lot to see how easy it was to fly. It just "pops" over the top and 20 degree nose down before it continues. Circling a small thermal and gain some 50m altitude made for some laps on the edge and again nice to see model in action. It was on step for 6-7 laps before the model started slowing. Looks like good energy management. His friend surely had a different CG and was a different pilot. This guy showed cool nerves as the winds suddenly changed 180 degrees and continued to fly on a completely different edge of the mountain. The wind picked up a bit as the front came in and he got to do some good 30-40 laps before he had also landed. Both models showed some nice and solid landings in the DS zone.
Some more pictures here: http://www.f3j.com/precision/austria2011/

Funny enough I had headache at 2145m but going down 50m lightened my head up immediately 2 times. Felt like I was watching discovery channel and hearing about people climbing K2 or something...

Jojo
Last edited by jojoen; Sep 03, 2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: link
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:10 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet View Post
Target. You have to fly a round (speed, distance, duration) with the same model in f3b. AFAIK. You can change models between rounds. I don't know how they run it in most comps. In ours the tasks are mixed up.
Right, but if a model is down due to a servo needing to be replaced, then what?? When you are due to fly the next task in that round, would you not have to fly it with that particular model??
If so, you'd be cutting some holes in the model in the field, I would think.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target