WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Jan 2009
86 Posts
hi Tim,
hi concreteman

thanks for the answer. That really helps.

I am so much looking forward to get this plane!! Cant wait!

your answer is actually just what I was thinking.

I will then definitely get the double carbon F3F version. Weight is not an issue at all. Since I have never had a RDS system before, i will let them install it.
mks gliders on flaps, mks minis on ailerons.

Now I will have to think about the color scheme....hard one, so many great looking precisions in this thread....

thanks again for your answers. Will keep you posted....

cheers and a happy new year.

cyril
jibber is offline Find More Posts by jibber
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Jan 2009
86 Posts
One last question....

what about flutter with RDS at high speeds in turbulent air?

As I said, i never had RDS before and always paid close attention when installing my convetional linkages. Never had anything fluttering....and alwas installed solid an big control horns on the surfaces....

Since I fly in the swiss alps, there usually is quite som turbulent air on the slopes. And I really dont want to care about my linkages, be it RDS or convetional. Just want something really reliable with no tendency of flutter.

Will dive the model from huge altitudes (800-1000m).

thanks for the replies.

Cyril

Thanks for your replies....
jibber is offline Find More Posts by jibber
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,811 Posts
Samba rds is tight, no flutter on my Pikes.

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
I wouldn't worry about RDS fluttering when flying on the front side. I did spectacularly blow up my Precision while DS'ing at around 180mph. Post mordem indicated failure of the RDS.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,937 Posts
Going only 180mph I would have thought this airframe could go at least 300mph, when you say the plane blew up was it the ailerons being ripped off. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:27 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
Well, it happened so fast without any warning. The ailerons were separated when the airframe was recovered, which I believe was the cause. Both wings had other major damage too, some of which was caused in air, while some was caused upon impact when it hit the ground. Most of the skins were delaminated, and the leading edges were split along the span. The V tail also separated in flight, and I can't be 100% sure that it didn't blow off first. The joiner was broken in half, most likely during impact. One elevator was recovered, while the rest of it was not. anyways, I really shouldn't have been flying it that fast, but it was working so well I just couldn't help it! I've since picked up another one (used) as a replacement.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
367 Posts
Maybe you need to see if Samba will build you a DS version
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
I certainly wouldn't let a DS failure worry me about a high dive with RDS.
If the shafts are torsionally stiff, then RDS should be a better solution to linkage caused flutter in surfaces, I would think.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,152 Posts
Diving in from 800 to 1000 meters, I would guess you could exceed 180 mph. This certainly could expose any potential flutter issues (conventional or RDS). I suggest being careful with any F3F/F3B airframe going this fast. . . they are not really intended to go these speeds (hence the reason for DS versions).

It may be worth dropping a note to Samba and asking what they suggest. They may even have first hand experience doing exactly what you intend to do (diving in from 1000 m in turbulent air).

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
Well, TK is certainly more informed and educated about these things than me; I would definitely go with his advice.
I just feel that DSing, and crossing the shear layer is more abusive than front side flying to the controls and structures of the airframe (I'm just guessing from what I have seen)....
However, unstable air can be pretty bumpy as well, so I guess that would be something to consider.

R,
Target
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
Diving in from 800 to 1000 meters, I would guess you could exceed 180 mph. This certainly could expose any potential flutter issues (conventional or RDS). I suggest being careful with any F3F/F3B airframe going this fast. . . they are not really intended to go these speeds (hence the reason for DS versions).

It may be worth dropping a note to Samba and asking what they suggest. They may even have first hand experience doing exactly what you intend to do (diving in from 1000 m in turbulent air).

Tom
1000 meters - I'd be happy if I got up to 1000 feet for a dive in
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:40 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
1,102 Posts
I would like to know how you're able to see a plane diving from 800m; in fact I envy the accuracy of your eyesight =)
chetosmachine is offline Find More Posts by chetosmachine
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:42 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
I think a data logger is called for!
I know that I have had my TD plane up VERY high before; my spotter couldn't see much of it, and its got a 4M wing...
How high up? I am not sure!
Even 500m is a big dive.

R,
Target
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:34 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,064 Posts
When we dive in an F3B run from 1000 feet (about 300m), a 13.5 second speed run over the course is an average of about 100mph, which means when we first come on course, we're probably doing more like 120-140 mph, and unless someone has some other damage, we don't see any flutter on our RDS...

800m seems to be pretty far up. Are you sure those figures are right???
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member