One thing seems sure though Alvaro. The Precision isn't hurting your chances

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:20 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,472 Posts
I agree. I have changed two servos with this installation (MKS with RDS from Samba). Just loosen the screws and pull it up in the back. There is enough play in front to do that.
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
No way. I've been trying to pull up the back of the servo and it doesn't move at all. Maybe the servo is glued to the wing or frame. I'll try to find something with L shape to try to make more up pressure.

Thank you all for your valued help.

Al.
Alvaro Silgado is online now Find More Posts by Alvaro Silgado
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly f3b View Post
one thing seems sure though alvaro. The precision isn't hurting your chances

mike
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Yes. Forgot to say even though I protected bottom of sevo when gluing in frame the servo got "tacked" down to the wing. I gently pried it loose as well. If yours is stuck to wing as well even if you open up frame ypu will still have to break servo free from wing before sliding out. I too thought about removing bottom of frame on mine and still may do that. I would just grind the frame away with a dremel using that ball shaped knurled looking cutting tool. It works good for stuff like that. Matter of fact when I have a glued in wing servo that fails, rather than working it loose, which mant times distorts upper wing surface, i use that same bit and carefully ground out the entire servo, case, motor, gears etc. Destroys the servo but saves upper wing surface. Sorry about the hassle with your servo.
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,472 Posts
Try heating the servo slightly with hair dryer. Any epoxy will get it loose since epoxy tacks bad to aluminium. I used just a screwdriver and pulled it up like opening a paint can. I can assure you it can be done
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:20 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Jojo, the trick with the hair dryer worked! It was really glued, see the images.

But pulling out the servo is easier said than done. I had to remove part of the skin around the hole to have space enough to move it. For sure I'm going to cut the servo mount to allow sliding the servo.

Thank you all you guys for your support!

Al.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:16 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Good Job!! Yes not easy to remove. I had to relieve my openings a little as well. My servo covers are no longer clear as a result. Actually I was going to paint the clear ones anyway as I didnt particularly like the looks of clear covers anyway. Good luck w/gear replacement.
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:29 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvaro Silgado View Post
Jojo, the trick with the hair dryer worked! It was really glued, see the images.

But pulling out the servo is easier said than done. I had to remove part of the skin around the hole to have space enough to move it. For sure I'm going to cut the servo mount to allow sliding the servo.

Thank you all you guys for your support!

Al.
Alvaro,

was that one of the flap servos? I think I may have one of mine that is being lazy when loaded, but I have the wings that are sealed...ughhh...I may have to perform surgery...

Tim
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:56 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glderguy View Post
Good Job!! Yes not easy to remove. I had to relieve my openings a little as well. My servo covers are no longer clear as a result. Actually I was going to paint the clear ones anyway as I didnt particularly like the looks of clear covers anyway. Good luck w/gear replacement.
Walter
I agree, I don't like clear covers neither. Curiously, I wanted to order painted covers for my next Pike, and it has an extra cost. So, I will paint mines.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:00 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver View Post
Alvaro,

was that one of the flap servos? I think I may have one of mine that is being lazy when loaded, but I have the wings that are sealed...ughhh...I may have to perform surgery...

Tim
No, it was an aileron. When landing, the aileron touched a wooden branch. Curiously, the aileron is not damaged at all, the gear was the only part affected.

Good luck with the surgery!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:08 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,127 Posts
Good luck with replacing the gears. I couldn't replace the output shaft on mine and thankfully it wasn't the damaged gear. The shaft didn't want to move despite lots of heat and force.

Glderguy; I did the same thing to my Ceres with the Dremel round bit. What a PITA!
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:17 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty View Post
Good luck with replacing the gears. I couldn't replace the output shaft on mine and thankfully it wasn't the damaged gear. The shaft didn't want to move despite lots of heat and force.
PITA!
Thank you, I hope I can replace it, the price of the gear is more than 30% the price of the whole servo. It's completely absurd.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Sep 2007
205 Posts
Pike Precision arrived

Received my Pike Precision yesterday, prepared it today and planned to fly today, however fog came in from the coast ditching that plan while on site and ready to fly.

I ordered the Precision in F3F layup with 160 gram carbon cloth in wings and
preinstalled JR high voltage servos

The vital weights as follow:

Fuselage = 487 grams including servos and receiver
Right Wing = 758 grams
Left wing = 756 grams
Left V-tail = 33 grams
Right V-tail = 33 grams
Wing Joiner = 118 grams
LiFe 6,6V Battery pack = 82 grams
Lead in nose = 137 grams (amount needed to get CG at 102mm.)

Total flying weight = 2404 grams

The brass ballast set weight = 1968 grams

The RDS seems tight and nice, quality top notch overall for the model.

Some adjustments were needed to be able to mount the wing and V-tail.

Basicly, the pin holes in both were needed adjustment before fit.

Huge flap deflection were available, approx. 80 degrees, and still able to have
10mm + up deflection on flaps. Can't wait to try it, the fog today stretched my patience, the wind stood straight at the slope at 8m/s, but there will come other days. Some pictures of the latest glider of mine......
krvedaa is offline Find More Posts by krvedaa
Last edited by krvedaa; Jul 24, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:28 PM
Eagles are my nemesis
United States, AK, Kodiak
Joined Aug 2011
163 Posts
^^^ Looks sweet. I love that color and pattern. I got mine today as well (red w/white). It's so nice! I'll post pics when i get the chance.
slope4evr is offline Find More Posts by slope4evr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rodent R3