HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:13 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Yeah, high 12's were there, and will be there again... We are all a bit rusty to be able to anticipate that turn at that speed. My second leg got to Base B so fast I wasn't really ready for it.
Mike
Congrats on your new speed PB Mike.

Agreed that the timing at 12s pace is crucial. Dave had 12s air at the gator and turned at the turnarounds. In preparation for the Gator I flew a 13.1s, with the second turn also almost at the turnarounds. It goes quicker than one is used too...

With Kyle and DP I am pretty sure we will soon have 12s runs again, preferably at a contest.

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
1,026 Posts
Precision

Been flying mine quite a bit lately. Liking it a lot!

P
Phil Davy is offline Find More Posts by Phil Davy
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:44 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,114 Posts
My New Precision

Guys,

Here are couple of pictures of my new ST Pike Precision. I still have not got a chance to fly it yet but maybe tomorrow if the winds lay down enough. If not by the weekend it may be time for a road trip up to Lake Wilson and give a toss off the slope for its maiden. I have a new Vector2 TWF I need to maiden as well.
Bob, thanks again for bringing in such cool toys.

See ya,

Pat McCleave
Wichita, KS
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:32 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,411 Posts
Nice color scheme, Pat.

If I were to buy a plane right now, Id' likely have to buy a precision.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:10 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, high 12's were there, and will be there again... We are all a bit rusty to be able to anticipate that turn at that speed. My second leg got to Base B so fast I wasn't really ready for it.

Tim-I will try and send you a pic. But it is the SPKM9310 with one remote, the SPM1100 Telemetry module, and the SPM alt. sensor...all packed rather tightly in that teeny tiny radio compartment.

Cheers.

Mike
Mike,

ok, got the DX-18 yesterday....whew, its gonna take me a while to get it programmed just right so that I can throw switches and still know which of the flight modes I'm in...

So, question about the TM1100. That looks like the smaller version, and it says on their site :
  • Telemetry Data at Fly-By range (Typically provides 300-400 foot range)
So how were you getting data from your launches?

Also, with the 9310 receiver, where did you put the remote antenna? back behind the fuse servos? underneath the joiner??? And did you point the main receiver antennas foward towards the battery? Or did you perhaps drill the little hole and put one on that flat spot underneath the nose cone?

t
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:51 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
I had to remove/reinstall a servo I installed in the Precision. With the stock mount/bearing pillow block assy wasn't sure if it could be done with out messing up wing surface, servo, pillow block. Well it can be done, not easy but possible. If the servo could be mounted firmly enough with just the two side tabs I would say cut out the back of the servo mount and just mount servo with two side screws leaving back open to slide servo in/out. This would make removing/reinstalling servo much easier. I didn't do this BTW as wasn't sure if installing servo this way would be good enough.
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver View Post
Mike,

ok, got the DX-18 yesterday....whew, its gonna take me a while to get it programmed just right so that I can throw switches and still know which of the flight modes I'm in...

So, question about the TM1100. That looks like the smaller version, and it says on their site :
  • Telemetry Data at Fly-By range (Typically provides 300-400 foot range)
So how were you getting data from your launches?

Also, with the 9310 receiver, where did you put the remote antenna? back behind the fuse servos? underneath the joiner??? And did you point the main receiver antennas foward towards the battery? Or did you perhaps drill the little hole and put one on that flat spot underneath the nose cone?

t
Tim, I am using the TM1000 full range telemetry module. I was getting info most of the time, and I think I was getting info at the top of every launch, but I didn't remember to check everytime. Just that the times I did check it was receiving data and giving me the readout. There were times while thermalling that I would see a pause in the data, and the telemetry reception indicator was showing no signal, but it would come up at various points along the circle.

Attached are a couple of pics of my install. Note that I recently added an extended cable and a remote antenna in one of the V tails, just because I can.
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2002
527 Posts
Quote:
Note that I recently added an extended cable and a remote antenna in one of the V tails, just because I can.
What I do is removing the case of the carbon remote and shrink wrap it making sure the long antenna is secure. Then run the antenna through the tail cone between the vtails. The remote is loose inside the fuse but the antenna holds it in place, just the 31mm is visible outside and creates minimal drag. All my F3B planes have this arrangement.

By the way, Horizon doesn't recomend using remote extensions longer than 36", something to do with voltage drop if I'm not mistaken. I carefully ignored their recomendation and the tail remote always get good reception numbers.

Looking forward to stuff all these electronics on my Radicals, but I'll install the telemetry module and altimeter through the joiner hole, no other spot. Love the DX18 by the way.

Glauco
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:53 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Thanks Glauco, LOVE that idea. I may just change it to work like yours. As of now, my antenna is up one of the V's and there is still a little bit of carbon in there in the spar and hinge line spar or drag spar. I just automatically avoid letting antennas stick out in the breeze, so that thought didn't cross my mind.

Though as I type this, I remind myself that I don't always take care to watch for whiskers sticking out, and your install might lead to an inadvertant bend and break of that whisker....Have to think about it. If the numbers don't show as being stellar, then I will do your install....

How's that for a full circle post.

Glad you like the radio...me too.

Mike
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Jul 2002
527 Posts
Mike,

I agree about the whiskers. Usually I have two layers of shrink wrap on it and the outer one gets glued to the tail cone and extends 10 mm. The inner layer extends 20 mm so only 11mm is actually exposed.

Taking care of it is painful if you remove the vtails every time but if you carry your planes around with the Vtails on then it isn't much of an issue.

Glauco
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:39 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Tim, I am using the TM1000 full range telemetry module. I was getting info most of the time, and I think I was getting info at the top of every launch, but I didn't remember to check everytime. Just that the times I did check it was receiving data and giving me the readout. There were times while thermalling that I would see a pause in the data, and the telemetry reception indicator was showing no signal, but it would come up at various points along the circle.

Attached are a couple of pics of my install. Note that I recently added an extended cable and a remote antenna in one of the V tails, just because I can.
ok, that sounds a little better then. The TM1100 would be much cooler if it had the distance because of its size.

I've heard that the telemetry data can be stored to the SD card, but there doesn't seem to be any documentation on it, and what tools you might use to view it after...I mean, seeing he data on the radio is cool and all, but I like to look at the altitude graphs afterwards...

So wait, what do you mean by put a remote antenna in one of the V tails? no room unless you start drilling holes, right? Are you drilling a small wire hole to thread it in? where can you put the big square remote antenna piece?? and if the max is 36 inches for voltage drop, then how does that work?

The fuse is all carbon behind the leading edge, so how would that work to put any of that stuff under the joiner?
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:40 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,411 Posts
Lots of folks I know do a similar DSM2/X install (to Glauco's) with the remote up in the fin of a cross tailed plane, no aerial hanging out.
Seems to work really well, despite the >36" extension wires.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jul 2002
527 Posts
Yes, I have an Aspire with the remote on the fin, just double taped and it works well.

Tim, the TM1000 has a long antenna, so you drop it there in front of the joiner but the antenna exits by the Vtail servos and you can arrange it for bext reception.

No clue about the telemetry recording data, let us know if you find out.

Glauco
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:00 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Tim, you can remove the big honking plastic case on the remote antenna. Just wrap the PCB assembly in electrical tape, or something.

I had planned on running my remote out the tail of my Acacia II, as described above, but I couldn't squeeze the PCB past the ballast tube, and the v-tail saddle was too tight to run it in from the back. I ended up running it out in one of those whisker jobbies like a dorsal fin behind the wing. Now that I think of it, I'm kicking myself for not running it out the back when I was repairing my v-tail, and had it all apart. The dorsal whisker keeps getting tweaked when people grab my plane to launch it.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:20 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Telemetry Data on the SD Card...

This is what I know so far:

On the Telemetry menu, you need to go to the File Settings page. That picks a switch. I suggest using the same one that you have for starting your primary flight timer.

The output file is the raw telemetry data off the air. Itís pure binary.

The only tool that currently exists to display the data is the STi app. You donít need the dongle, just the app is enough. But we have to wait until they ship the next version of the STi app. Itís waiting for Apple to do their approval routine, which can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Its coming though...

Mike