SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:35 AM
building season is here.
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
943 Posts
Thanks Dave,

I've been eye balling this model and when I got a txt at 8ish in the morning saying "forecast looks good wanna meet at Fermin" how could I say no.

This thing has a lot of very nice detail work saving weight by using tape on the tails is one of them. After fondeling the model it was time to see how it flew.

Dave asked if I could launch it for him, picked up the model and it was light. Dave said "it's got 12oz's in it" snap, how light is this thing?! Anyway I threw it into 10mph wind. I looked responsive and Dave went right into the start routine, came on course with good speed he proceeded to run 10, then "dude wanna fly it" hell yeah! After hurdling the concrete wall T Fermin I was on the tx.

Conditions again where light and the thing felt lively. The way I see it now I just to make a decision about my next pair of f3f models.

Again thanks for letting me fly your new toy.
seaspb is offline Find More Posts by seaspb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:48 AM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
672 Posts
I wanna fly it Dave, can I, can I
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:10 AM
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,525 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Dave......

Give me another few days and I will join you with the new FS4 !

B
Brandon is offline Find More Posts by Brandon
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,149 Posts
Thanks Brando,
Much like the final assembly required the first flight was impressive. It was blowing a solid and cold 9-11 mph with wind lines barely formed at Fermin. I had the CG at 102 plus a 1/2oz. old man insurance in the nose. The model was really stable and a quick dive test proved my cg was too far forward as well as the model was too light for the conditions so I quickly landed, removed my 1/2 oz. and added about 10 oz. of ballast. What impressed me quickly was how well it handled and how responsive it was. It accelerates quickly and it takes all the g's I I could muster with these conditions and my high rate throws. It showed more grippyness than I would expect in these conditions. It is too early to tell if it is "as fast", and I may never know that, but I will say it is "as easy" or even easier to fly than what I am used to.
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:10 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
997 Posts
Good news Dave !

So finally, what is your CG ? 102 mm ?
What I noticed is that behind 102, the energy managment turn becomes less efficient.

Enjoy your Pike !

Pierre
prondel is offline Find More Posts by prondel
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
The gear train of the 378 has more slop than the MKS, and if the new way has more slop, that's not a good combination, IMO.

Mike's Precision has more static surface slop than Dave's does. Period.
You cant get more than 65 degrees flap with MKS. I got a Precision in the post today (a leftover from an order not sent) and the question from Samba a few weeks ago was if they would cut for 55 or 65 degrees flap. This is equipped with MKS. But if I could choose I would have 85 degrees. That can only be done so far with JR171 (the name of the 378 that Samba sells).
Though they constantly try to improve the RDS.
On the other hand this model will only be used in hard conditions anyhow (it is a double carbon 160g) so might not need any big brakes.

MKS has some fantastic gear train but will empty your battery in less than 20sec if it fails (mostly due to to high voltage off course). And with only 90 degrees available I favour JR if I can.
But lets see if they can fix the problems.
jojoen is online now Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Here is the two models that arrived in Norway today The red double carbon 160g (for cutting trees) is mine

33 pictures here:
http://www.jojoen.no/diary/1424precision/page_01.htm
jojoen is online now Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:28 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,665 Posts
If you really want, you can just put ~800 Ohm resistors on pins 1 and 3 of the servo pot and that will increase the travel of the MKS servo to more than +/-60 deg.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prondel View Post
Good news Dave !

So finally, what is your CG ? 102 mm ?
What I noticed is that behind 102, the energy managment turn becomes less efficient.

Enjoy your Pike !

Pierre
i have the CG at 102 and it seems neutral. I will make a ballast load chart that maintains 102 as far as possible. I do not think it is possible to do so after 80 ballast as there is more supplied weight behind 102 than in front of it.
Thanks for the good info Pierre!
David C
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
3,190 Posts
That's great to hear you had a good maiden, I will put mine at 102cg, I still have to program the jr radio and feel comfortable with the 2.4 system, it's a lot of bucks for a plane don't want to loose it due to radio problem. Dave did you install jr receiver and did you drill a hole to put one antena on the top. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:42 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen View Post
And with only 90 degrees available I favour JR if I can.
I would too, if that were the case, but with an JR 11x set to max, I can get 110* from the MKS and 120* from the JR 378, so for the loss of 10* of servo travel, I'll take the tighter gears.....So, I'm confused now....

I won't comment further in this thread though; the Precision seems like an incredible plane no matter whats inside of it!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:00 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
997 Posts
Pike flaps and radio programmation

I have one question to the JR radio owner:

How do you program a servo neutral position shift to get lets say 80% travel down and 20% travel up ?

The pike comes with the servo installed with a shifted neutral position of the flap to have this mechanic travel 80/20%. This means that the electrical neutral position is not with leading edge aligned. So when programming the Pike, you need to retieve the leading edge aligned.

Usually the subtrim cannot allow such big shift. On the T12FG, there is a easy means in the flap setting menu (see below).In this menu I use the offset parameter, which per servos.

I was wondering how you were achieving this on JR radio (please specify which model of JR), and using which function of the radio.

The question is also for Dave using the Airtronics if you don't mind

thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Pierre
prondel is offline Find More Posts by prondel
Last edited by prondel; Dec 17, 2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:46 AM
Monza, Italy
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prondel View Post
I have one question to the JR radio owner:

How do you program a servo neutral position shift to get lets say 80% travel down and 20% travel up ?

The pike comes with the servo installed with a shifted neutral position of the flap to have this mechanic travel 80/20%. This means that the electrical neutral position is not with leading edge aligned. So when programming the Pike, you need to retieve the leading edge aligned.

Usually the subtrim cannot allow such big shift. On the T12FG, there is a easy means in the flap setting menu (see below).In this menu I use the offset parameter, which per servos.

I was wondering how you were achieving this on JR radio (please specify which model of JR), and using which function of the radio.

The question is also for Dave using the Airtronics if you don't mind

thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Pierre
On MX22, MC22s and MX24s there is the "offset" regulation for each servo (MC24 as other Graupner has quite identical function).

See on their relevant manual :
- MX22 page52 ==> http://www.rokemodell.de/produkte/gr/gr4801_mx22_gb.pdf
- MX24s page74 ==> http://www.graupner.de/fileadmin/dow..._manual_gb.pdf
- MC22s page 56 ==> http://www.graupner.de/mediaroot/fil...8_mc22s_en.pdf

Antonio.
andreis is offline Find More Posts by andreis
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffman View Post
That's great to hear you had a good maiden, I will put mine at 102cg, I still have to program the jr radio and feel comfortable with the 2.4 system, it's a lot of bucks for a plane don't want to loose it due to radio problem. Dave did you install jr receiver and did you drill a hole to put one antena on the top. Ian
I am using aiptronics and I did not use the slot. I probably should use the slot but it ranged checked fine with out. Besides if I had used the slot I would have had to drill a whole which would have significantly increased the build time
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,917 Posts
Cortina! Tell them about your winch maiden yesterday! I know you had a great time, I could tell by the way you were smiling.

We flew Precisions yesterday out at Poway. Really great conditions early. Awesome lift under cloudy skys, with only light and variable winds. I made a few minor adjustments, and at this point, I feel I have the glider really set up well for F3B distance and Thermal Duration. I did not get a chance to fly any speed runs yesterday, but with the adjustments I made, I feel that success in setup will take just a couple clicks of elevator trim. The CG is sitting at about 100-101mm from the LE. It seems really happy here. I judge a good CG as one that allows a nice stable glide to be established with only a click or two of trim, and that shows only the very slightest tendancy to pull out of a steep dive while in cruise mode. This CG, once established, is then perfect for thermal mode (just add camber and trim elevator for min sink airspeed) and for speed (just add reflex, and trim for straight as an arrow, no pull out, no tuck in dive) and you are done!

I was hoping to get to do some good quality speed runs against some x-team members, now since that didn't happen over the weekend, I am really jonesing for some speed. I know how that sounds, and yes, it can be considered an addiction.

My impression so far is even more positive than ever. This is a competitive F3B model, and I can't wait to prove it.

Cheers all and Happy Holidays.

Mike Smith
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B