HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
I SAW IT!!!! Clean plane. Flies like it looks. Very smooth and crisp. I bet JW likes it. Very clean planform and tip design.

I am looking forward to Mike flying it a bit more and us getting together for a real practice session on a measured course. The numbers don't lie.
So does this mean that if Mike has faster speed times than you that his plane is faster than yours?
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:52 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,906 Posts
Great 1st day for Precision

Hey all,

Flew the Precision today off of mono at the Poway field. Left the hook in the forward position that I used for bungee, and threw in some launch camber and off she went. Even at the ultra safe settings the launch was decent. So, again with the hook in ultra safe mode, I added ballast.

The ballast included with the model can bring it up to Max FAI limit, and dang that is a heavy model. So I started with about 40% of that. Launch went off without a hitch (as expected) and we brought it by show center for a clean speed pass. It looks good, it does look good. Don, Aaron and Dave were out to check it out and Aaron was flying his Radical. It is clear that "safe" mode on towhook location was costing me pull, and ultimately launch height. BUUuuuut, with its friendliness on the line, moving that hook aft won't be scary. I am looking forward to tweaking it, and seeing just how it performs against proven and well set up gliders.

Ended up putting in about a dozen flights on Samba's new racer today. Last few flights with with about 60% ballast, and sent it down the speed course. No base sights or timers were out, so all I could do is set the trims and pull some turns. It really seems to hold energy well, and the term grippy does apply here. Didn't like that word when I first heard it used to describe how a glider turns, but it has grown on me, and I understand what is being described. So, yep, the P grips through the turns.

Handling is super forgiving. Don was amazed at the way the model would hang in at high alpha and not let go. I finally had to make it stall in a thermal turn, and yes, like all conventional airplanes, it will stall, and spin, but you almost have to mean it. Even ballasted, the P was climbing out from low altitudes after speed runs, and some distance laps. I have said many times that B models are my favorite gliders to fly, and the P will keep that love alive.

Flying distance laps at 40% ballast showed a nice flat glide, and turns were easy to carve. I hit the rudder mix, and diff combo nicely, so very little tweaking is necessary on that part of the system. Found a little lift corridor, and stroked about 12 laps at about double tree height at just a medium cruise speed. It felt very nice.

So, from this point, more tweaking, and launching along side of some proven gliders and we'll get a real good read. For now, I have the same feeling I get when I know the model shows promise....can't wait to compete with it.

Took a few pics at the field, but the settings on the camera were a bit off. So, here are a couple of the shots.

I am stoked!

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:52 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,502 Posts
Awesome flying with you today Mike! I'll have a big smile on my face all week thinking about how much fun we had. The Precision is exactly as its name implies...precise. I would definitely own one. Very VERY well constructed. My hat is off to Samba for the quality of work on this model. I can't get over how beautifully built that wing is! The paint job really shows off the model.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,906 Posts
Thanks Aaron, same here. Thanks for coming out and flying the Radical with me. I am looking forward to more great days like that.

Talk soon.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Awesome flying with you today Mike! I'll have a big smile on my face all week thinking about how much fun we had. The Precision is exactly as its name implies...precise. I would definitely own one. Very VERY well constructed. My hat is off to Samba for the quality of work on this model. I can't get over how beautifully built that wing is! The paint job really shows off the model.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:07 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Hello Mike
which lay-up do you have ? I see spread-tow, but is double carbon necessary ?

thanks

Laurent
Laurent31 is offline Find More Posts by Laurent31
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:33 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,906 Posts
Hi Laurent, great job in China!

My precision is F3B version double carbon, spread tow. The outer layer is spread tow carbon and the inner layer is 55 gsm carbon fabric.

Necessary? I say yes. The glider weighs only 72oz (2041 grams) so it is not heavy by any means. So double carbon and the layup designed by the team produce a wing that does not noticibly flex or twist under high loads.

Cheers,

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent31 View Post
Hello Mike
which lay-up do you have ? I see spread-tow, but is double carbon necessary ?

thanks

Laurent
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:41 PM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
A rigid model for 72oz...

uhhhhh maybe I have to think about my color scheme !
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent31 View Post
A rigid model for 72oz...

uhhhhh maybe I have to think about my color scheme !
Yes indeed, very stiff, and straight, and light (relatively speaking)

Mike
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:08 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,005 Posts
I like the look of the wing tip design....that whole model looks REALLY nice! Wow! I can't wait to hear/see her go.

K
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:10 PM
Bielefeld, Germany
Joined Oct 2002
260 Posts
He guys,

last weekend I flew a Pike Precision at the german F3F team selection.
Because I had to cancel my planed England flight vacation I only did have half an hour of flying before the contest. Because of that the setup for F3F flying at a typical coat slope was far from perfect. As we managed to fly 20 rounds I had at least the chance to setup the basics a little bit throughout the competition.
The first impression of the Pike at that contest is really great. I do confirm the flying characteristics the other Pike owners already described. The plane is absolutely docile even with high weight combined with tight turns, although the current flight style does not need that because itīs more smooth in the turns. But itīs good to know that normally no tip stalls or bad things will happen if you push it too hard.
It seems very quick in the course and efficient in the turns. It carries weight very easy, I flew up to 4kg in only 8m/s wind. The optimum at the good slope in that wind seemed to be around 3,6-3,8kg for me. It was not to difficult to manage those weights throughout the 30 seconds with some quick turns at the edge. The agility of the plane is great, first of all the great ailreon response.
As far as I can tell performance seems to be on par with the best. Most of the other guys flew FS3 and 4. In the runs I managed to fly good and avoid mistakes ( my own pilot setup hasnīt been good to at the beginning ) times has been very good.
Two times I missed the 1000 points about 0,1second.

Looking is nicer compared to talking, so just take a look at a flight from the weekend, time is a 40,61s It was the third fastest time of the contest.

Iīm really looking forward to fly the Pike in F3F again, added some training and a good setup.

Cheers,
Arne

Pike Precision F3F run
Arne is offline Find More Posts by Arne
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:05 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Mike,
Do you know if the DS378 HV are buzzing (buzzzzzzzzz) on a lipo 2S configuration ?
I plan to use DS3717 HV on V-tail instead of DS388.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:42 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,906 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I do know they buzz on a 5 cell nimh, and a 6 cell nimh. They are buzzers for sure... At least you know the system is on and the rx is getting a signal...

Cheers, Laurent....

Mike
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:53 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
989 Posts
Laurent,

Maybe you should use an alarm (let's say 80db) to cover the noise of the servos .

Anyway MKS servos buzz too under 4 NiMh cells

Cheers,

Pierre
prondel is online now Find More Posts by prondel
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:12 PM
San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
I saw the plane this weekend and it's majorly cool! Don't let the guy holding it fool you, you don't, I repeat don't have to have a mullet to own one. If they had come out a little earlier I would have ordered several. Typical Samba fit and finish.....it was so perfect it would bring tears to your eyes.

MLM
Smurfmacaw is offline Find More Posts by Smurfmacaw
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:51 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
989 Posts
I flew the Pike precision at the last contest of the french league in Laurac (VKR2010 slope A). We flew 15 rounds, in very strong wind, from 12 to 20 m/s with some gusts above 20 m/s. I flew most of the time full ballast.

I won the competition by a large margin, and had to slow down my two last flights to allow some competitors to get their 800 pts in order to be selected at the next national championship.

I flew the fastest time of the comp with 33s.

The Pike Precision is absolutely great. It carries ballast so easily that you don't feel it at the sticks.

It is always agile, very fast, but with still plenty of lift and grip in the turns. The pike is definitively in the lifty plane family (opposed to slippery planes)

Unfortunately, I damaged it at round 13th, while landing . The plane stalled at 1m of heigh in a sudden rotor, while full ballast. He touched the ground first with the nose, then with the tip. the nose is broken, and I have some damages on the wing that didn't touch the ground (delamination). Given the hit, it behaves rather well, I would say.

I'm flying at a CG of 102mm and add 15g in the nose when full ballast.

Overall a great plane !

This last win allow me to win also the french league 2011, the 7th in a row, and a total of 10 leagues over 12 leagues organized since 2000 .
prondel is online now Find More Posts by prondel