SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hanford, CA
Joined Nov 2008
43 Posts
Hi Jim

Skipper 67 is right about the cheek blocks from Longbeach rc another place is W-P marine they sell Pekabe parts.
Tim
Odomtim is offline Find More Posts by Odomtim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Cj 516

OK Tim,
Ya got me back on the CJ. Here's my rendition of the stand. Also, do you have any templates of the servo mounts on your boat? I'd like to copy them. Thanks, Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
181 Posts
CJ #516 question

I can't tell from the picture, is that a planked deck on your boat? I'm interested in planking my deck. If it is could you send me a pm with a couple of better pictures, and give me some details on how you did it and how tick it is?
We used to live in Tehachapi `62 to `65, I don't remember much water there then. I do remember that every time I turned around my wife was pregnant. Back then I figured it must have been something in the drinking water.

Jim
CJ #503
jimhurley is online now Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
698 Posts
Here's my stand....loosely modeled on the one from Hans' booklet. I was just gonna paint it, but decided to give it a coat of stain and some varnish. Has tie down loops and some non-skid tape on the bottom, along with foam pipe insulation to pad the hull.

Kevin
Canterbury J #551
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Last edited by poltergeist; Sep 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:03 AM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhurley View Post
I can't tell from the picture, is that a planked deck on your boat? I'm interested in planking my deck. If it is could you send me a pm with a couple of better pictures, and give me some details on how you did it and how tick it is?
We used to live in Tehachapi `62 to `65, I don't remember much water there then. I do remember that every time I turned around my wife was pregnant. Back then I figured it must have been something in the drinking water.

Jim
CJ #503
Hi Jim,
Its a long story, but Odomtim is the guy to talk too. He did a beautiful job on Lion Heart #515. I bought my boat, didn't like the stain job on the ply I did and sold it to a fellow SMYC member. He did the excellant job on the planking. I bought the boat back and he built another one.(I can't remember his number, but he lives closer to Tim).
Your'e right about the lack of water up here, so thats why I travel the hundred miles to sail with these guys. There are a lot of excellant craftsmen in the group, and overall just a great bunch to sail with. Ron
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Here's my stand....loosely modeled on the one from Hans' booklet. I was just gonna paint it, but decided to give it a coat of stain and some varnish. Has tie down loops and some non-skid tape on the bottom, along with foam pipe insulation to pad the hull.

Kevin
Thanks for posting this, I love it.
I was going to paint mine too, however, you just changed my mind. You also solved what I was gonna do with the edge that hits the hull. Thanks, nice job. Ron
PS
Just realized I didn't make provisions for the rudder, oops. May have to redo it like yours. Again, thank you, Ron
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:33 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
698 Posts
Ron,

Looks like a small slot in the aft support of your stand should do the trick.....and may I say, the deck on your boat is simply beautiful!!! What color do you plan to paint the hull???

Kevin
Canterbury J #551
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
Kevin,

Nice play on the #51. The stand looks great.

Are we still on for Sunday? If you decide not to go Sunday let me know otherwise I will be there.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:05 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Hi Kevin,
The main hull is going to be a dark forest green, and below the water line will be a copperish, or gold color. Her name is "Laus Deo" (Latin for praise be to God) I'm really getting stoked to get the boat done, and hopefully whatever "road trip" it takes to get all of us "left coast" guys together and sail these beautiful yachts!! I thank Hans for supplying such excellant hulls. Ron
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell View Post
Kevin,

Nice play on the #51. The stand looks great.

Are we still on for Sunday? If you decide not to go Sunday let me know otherwise I will be there.

Ed
Ed,

Sent you an email, but in case you check here first....I think tomorrow looks too hot for my taste. They say it might be a few degrees cooler tomorrow, but it was around 108 degrees at work today in Montclair.....too darn hot!!! Hope you don't mind postponing to a cooler day.

Kevin
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:19 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgnx View Post
Hi Kevin,
The main hull is going to be a dark forest green, and below the water line will be a copperish, or gold color. Her name is "Laus Deo" (Latin for praise be to God) I'm really getting stoked to get the boat done, and hopefully whatever "road trip" it takes to get all of us "left coast" guys together and sail these beautiful yachts!! I thank Hans for supplying such excellant hulls. Ron
That will look AMAZING!!! Post some pics as you finish her up for us to drool over. It'll be fun to get together......somewhere.....!!!

Kevin
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
Kevin,

I received your email. There are cooler day's ahead, looking forward to sailing with you on a cooler day.

blckgnx,

That is a great color combination for your C-J. I hope you post lots of pictures.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
181 Posts
Quote:
Hi Kevin,
Ron,
Have you found a source for a copper colored paint in a spray can, I was thinking that I would like to do a copper bottom on mine. The hull color that you see on the CJ #503 thread is a lot greener in the picture than it really is. It is a lot bluer.

The fittings issue is still giving me headaches. Every one of the sites that has fittings has a lot of them that are out of stock. I'm going to have to get going on trying to build some of my own.
Jim
jimhurley is online now Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Hi Jim,
I don't have any sources for rattle can paint. I'm going to take mine to a local body shop. I know what you mean on the fittings. I'm in the exact same postion. I was wanting "brass", but at this point, I'll settle for pretty much whatever I can find. Good luck, Ron
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:34 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,175 Posts
Quote:
I was wanting "brass", but at this point, I'll settle for pretty much whatever I can find. Good luck, Ron
For brass fittings, try Model Yacht Fittings -http://www.modelyachtfittings.com/

If Roger doesn't have it in stock he can make whatever you want.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher