SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:34 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Kevin,

I'm thinking about 4 or 5 weeks. Send him an email he might have one lined up for you, and can tell you what number it is.

Did you order the hull-keel-wood frames and rudder?

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
Ed,

Just heard back from Hans. He said he hopes to ship the first or second week of March. Works out to around 5 weeks, so similar to yours. Yes, I ordered the hull, ballast, wood kit and rudder. Looking forward to having a new project!!!!

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:47 PM
C.J.
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
A Midwest Canterbury J ?

Hi Folks,
I'm on "the list", and might be the first Canterbury J owner in the St. Louis area. I don't know when Hans will ship, but I probably won't get started on it right away, regardless. I'm just finishing up my first R/C sailboat, a Soling 1M, and have already been bitten bad by the Canterbury bug. Hopefully, as an aircraft mechanic, "big boat" sailor and former R/C aircraft modeller, I possess enough skills to do this gorgeous boat justice. But, time will tell. Lots of time....
C.J.
(Yes, those really are my initials)
STLsailor is offline Find More Posts by STLsailor
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
C.J.

I'm a big boat sailor too and a Honda auto mechanic, so I'd guess our "skills" are similar. Be fun to compare notes as we're building. When did you order? I paypal'd my deposit Feb 1st. If you haven't seen one in person, I can tell you it's a very nice looking boat. To me, it's about the biggest boat that can still be (relatively) easily transported/handled.

Kevin
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:00 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
I just received the latest issue of Model Yachting magazine # 167, it shows 42 registered Canterbury "J" boats. In the last issue # 166 it showed 18 registered boats.

In region 6 which includes several western states and western Canada there are 12 boats registered. It looks like the Canterbury "J" class is growing. Maybe some day we can get some organized racing in the area.

Ed
Last edited by Ed Crowell; Feb 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
C.J.
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Canterbury J, Hull #553 on order.

Ed,
I checked out your build log for hull #529. Excellent info and pics. It seems you got #529 in fall of 2010. Hopefully, I'm getting hull #553 in 4 to 6 weeks. That's 24 hulls in 18 months! And, I'm guessing Hans started USA production with hull #500 just 3 years ago. Hello AMYA.... Isn't it time for a feature article on the boat, and the builder? Maybe even a cover story?
C.J.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
Canterbury J in AMYA's MODEL YACHTING

All AMYA sanctioned classes are offered the chance to be featured in an issue of MODEL YACHTING. They appear in a regular rotation, and this rotation is determined by the editor and by the historical order at which classes have appeared before.

So, since you want to see the class presented in those pages, I'm assuming that you'll be one of the first, if not the first to volunteer your efforts to the Class Secretary to produce an article for the Canterbury J issue, whenever it is scheduled. I look forward to reading what you prepare for us.
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
C.J.
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodACarr View Post
.....So, since you want to see the class presented in those pages, I'm assuming that you'll be one of the first, if not the first to volunteer your efforts to the Class Secretary to produce an article for the Canterbury J issue, whenever it is scheduled. I look forward to reading what you prepare for us.
Rod, I apologize for getting you agitated. Sadly, my writing an article about R/C sailing might be somewhat lacking in content. As you may have read in my first post, I'm new to this hobby. I'm sorry you took offense to my second post, which you seem to percieve as an indictment of the AMYA organization. I meant it as praise for the efforts of Hans Berger, Ed Crowell and those like them, in helping the Canterbury J class grow so quickly. In my excitement at having my own C-J hull on order, I merely suggested it would be nice to see an article on them in the AMYA magazine. Maybe you can find it in your heart to forgive me for my ignorance and arrogance. Hopefully, before I shop for Canterbury J sails.... C.J.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
Canterbury J

I'm not the least bit agitated. I merely wanted you to know that AMYA has a long standing approach to providing such materials in support of each and every class, and I also wished to encourage you to take part in contributing what materials, tips or photos you might have to support the next iteration MODEL YACHTING where the Canterbury J is featured. Since such an issue was presented not too long ago, I pretty well figured out that you might be new.

Pardon me for taking the time to pass along some information. From your posting, I concluded that you might be interested in what was currently in place, and I also wanted to make the point that everyone is encouraged to contribute to such activities. If my reward is to be threatened by loss of sail order......well, I guess I just totally missed the point of your posting.
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
C.J.
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodACarr View Post
...... the next iteration MODEL YACHTING where the Canterbury J is featured. Since such an issue was presented not too long ago, I pretty well figured out that you might be new.
Rod, now I'm really confused. So, the Canterbury J has already been featured?
Please tell me what issue number it is, so I can backorder it. Thanks! C.J.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
CJ wasn't threatening any sail order loss. E-mails(and forum posting) can sometimes be construed wrongly. I think that was the case here.

CJ, BTW, Ken Bauser produces some really nice sails for the Canterbury J (as well as many other classes), for very reasonable prices.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:42 PM
C.J.
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
CJ wasn't threatening any sail order loss. E-mails(and forum posting) can sometimes be construed wrongly. I think that was the case here.
You, kind sir, are correct.
Thank you,
C.J.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLsailor View Post
Rod, now I'm really confused. So, the Canterbury J has already been featured?
Please tell me what issue number it is, so I can backorder it. Thanks! C.J.
CJ,

No, the Canterbury J has not been in Model Yachting as far as a featured class is concerned. There has been some class secretary reports and race reports.
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
Well #551 is on it's way cross-country. ETA the middle of next week. Guess I'll have to start making some decisions on electronics and deck/hatch design.

Kevin
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:51 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Kevin,

Great, glad to see #551 is on the way. Looking forward to the build. That will make 2 "CJ's" in the club, I hope we can get some more.

Ed