Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:09 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
At the mid point of the hull (24") my waterline is exactly 2" down from the deck line. I should float the rigged boat in calm water again to see exactly how close my painted "waterline" is to the actual floating waterline.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:14 PM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
Deck Finish #563

I've settled on Cetol Light; one coat brushed then rubbed as you would any stain. For the top coats I'm using Varathane Diamond - Outdoor, matt finish, a water based varnish. It doesn't darken the Cetol further and the varnish is a very matt finish which, I believe enhances the sense of scale. I have a mockup and the water based varnish seems happy over the cetol.
Richard
ps - still swimming around on the waterline issue
ppss - does the upload for attachments do the thumbnails I see on the site ?
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:48 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
I floated #551 in a swimming pool today, fully rigged and at sailing weight (6506grams). The marked waterline is submerged approx 1/8" below the true waterline. It's a bit hard to judge as the wind was up so the boat was moving around a bit. I'd think the measurments provided by Alan in the UK would put the waterline even lower than it "should" be (not that it makes that much difference....when the boat is sailing you can't tell). Tried to get pics, but kinda hard to see the actual water edge at the hull.

Richard, Yes uploading pictures puts the thumbnails on your post, clicking on the thumbnail opens the full sized picture.

Kevin
C-J #551
Last edited by poltergeist; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:05 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
Hi Richard,

Kevin and I went sailing at Tri-City Park in placentia today. I snapped a picture of my J to show you the water line. It is pretty much right on the money. I did get my measurements from Han's.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:53 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Nice, pleasant day "on" the water. Not much wind and only three boats out, but still a fun day.

Kevin
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:47 PM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
Nice, Pleasant day....

Well snow here on and off all day. Probably about 4 - 6 in of ice on the pond. Sanded the finish off the deck and will try again. Oh, well a nice pleasant day here, too.
Richard
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:18 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Richard.

So what went wrong with your deck finish?

Kevin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:23 PM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
Deck Finish #563

Kevin,
The finish was ok but during the preparation for the Cetol, I filled a few imperfections with some watered glue and sanding dust. It filled the voids but left a milky stain on the wood which I thought at the time would disappear when stained and varnished. Well it didn't so, I've sanded the whole finish off and took off enough wood to remove the stains. It is now re-stained with Cetol and water based exterior varnish. It looks better. Well, I guess I've reduced the top hamper a bit.

I will post pics - I need to try harder.
Richard
ps Time to think about sails - any thoughts / preferences ?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Jun 2009
82 Posts
Sails

Mr. Baker: Please send me your e-mail and I'll provide several photos of other Canterbury J's with sails that have come from our loft. Rod Carr
rodcarr@carrsails.com
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:39 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Richard,

Look forward to seeing some pics....I'm sure it looks great. From what I can gather, there are 3 main sailmakers in North America that have developed Canterbury J sails. I've been pleased with my Sirius sails, I've seen Ed Crowell's Carr sails in person and they look very nice as well. I haven't seen a suit of Ken Bauser's sails "in the flesh", but it seems many of the C-J's in the Northeast are using his sails. I don't think you can go too wrong either way. Are you looking for "film" sails or more traditional "cloth" sails?

Kevin
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:17 PM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
Sails

Kevin,
Just fast sails ! But, that may not be that important ,as there are no other C-J's in this area, so perhaps it is not as important as my ego thinks. Maybe , I should build my own - I've done that before. The only thought; is the C-J competitive with any other boats ie: the EC 12 or even the US 12 etc ??
Richard
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:37 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
When Ed's #529 and my boat are both set-up similarly and sailing in the same wind, they seem to have about the same speed and "point". I think sails from any of the accomplished sailmakers will serve you well when you get them tuned properly to the rig.

I haven't sailed my boat against a EC or US 12. I suspect it would be slower than an EC and faster than a US. In light wind last week (maybe 4knots) I had a bit of speed and point on a Newport 12. I suspect with just a little more breeze that would have changed in a hurry!!!

Kevin
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:46 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
I would think the EC-12 would be a little faster in the stronger winds not sure about the US 12.

By the way where are you located?

Ed
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:19 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Speaking of sails, it appears that you guys have it all wrong Take a look at the sail plan of this display "J" model I saw in a HomeGoods store. You all seem to be confused as to where the Mainsail really belongs You really should try this "Proper" set up

On a more serious note - I've finally been able to spend some time on my 36" "J"now that we have moved to Delaware I should soon be able to sail in my back yard. I could sail now if the "J" was finished. I can't sail my RG65 because it draws a foot & I can't reach out far enough in the pond for a launch. It's too cold to get in the water & create a little "channel".
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:10 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
WOW a large Jib and two mains, that must be an upgrade.

Ed