HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
FYI, here is a list of the town locations for C/J in reagion 6 excluding Canada. Sequin,WA Lake Havasu,AZ.(2) Hotchkiss, CO Hanford,CA. Tehachapi,CA. Selma,CA(2) Fresno,CA. Santa Maria,CA. Banning,CA. Roseville,CA. Sacramento,CA. Ventura,CA. Glendora,CA. Elk Grove,CA.(2) Wilton,CA. Rancho Cordova,CA. Riverside,CA. If you would like to know if there are Canterbury J bosts in your aera or contact any of these skippers just email me at hanssberger@comcast.net
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
Hans,

Thanks for the clarification on the different "J's" in the UK.

We're getting a fair collection of C-J's out West. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Kevin
Canterbury J #551
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:20 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Hans,

Thanks for posting the C-J's in region 6.

Have you sailed your new C-J with the 2 jibs? How does it perform against a standard C-J setup?

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Hi Ed, Yes I have sailed the 2 jib setup with other C/J boats and it seems to act about the same except for the down wind . Then it is a bit slower, but this could be the sail setup. There needs to be much more testing done but that is for next season. Hans
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
THe J's arrive in West Oz...

Bob's Boats have finally arrived from Christchurch NZ..
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Very nice. I like the stripes.

Ed
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell View Post
Very nice. I like the stripes.

Ed
Ed,

Haven't seen the Boat personally but I knew Bob Wing was getting his boats transported to West Australia. His workmanship is excellent from what I see in his other boats..

I sail with Bob fairly regular in the MM's & he tells me he also has 1 or 2 bare "J" Hulls still in NZ.. What cost of transport to OZ? Might have the foundations of a New Class in Australian Waters...

Bob has one other completed "J" & had it's maiden sail on Australia Waters on Sunday..

Waiyting for some on the water photos & will post once they arrive.

Cheers

John

MM AUS 137
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:33 PM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
New On Deck

Hello,
I'm new to this forum - hello all. I have C-J hull on order and am waiting patiently, but filling my time make odds 'n ends for the boat. I have a zillion questions and hopefully you won't get too put out with them. I am located in Niagara, Ontario. Thanks.
Richard
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:33 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Richard,

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask all the questions you want. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help. There are several C-J build logs on here that may help you.

Ed
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,278 Posts
Welcome mate.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:21 AM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
New On Deck - ?? #1-5

Well here goes with the first batch of questions:
1. Up to what wind speed is the C-J comfortable using the A rig ?
2. What is the optimum position for placement of the mast ?
3. Is the rig tuned best by moving the mast at its base or by raking it ?
4. Does a jib boom counter weight really help when you have a jib topping loft ?
5. Is there a tuning guide similar to those published for the Victoria and Soling ?
Thanks, Richard
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:21 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Baker View Post
Well here goes with the first batch of questions:
1. Up to what wind speed is the C-J comfortable using the A rig ?
2. What is the optimum position for placement of the mast ?
3. Is the rig tuned best by moving the mast at its base or by raking it ?
4. Does a jib boom counter weight really help when you have a jib topping loft ?
5. Is there a tuning guide similar to those published for the Victoria and Soling ?
Thanks, Richard
Hi Richard,

1. I have sails made by Carr, He said the "A" sails should be good up to 15mph. But that is pushing the limit.
2. A good starting position for the mast is 21 1/16 inches from the bow.
3. I have not had enough experience with the C-J to give you a good answer. Maybe some more experienced people can answer this.
4. The jib balance weight is so the jib will move out easier going down wind.
5. This is how I pre-tuned my sails. This is just a starting point.

1. I set the mast 90 deg to the deck.
2. I centered the mast side to side with the lower stays with 5 lbs of pressure. Then did the same with the upper stays.
3. I bent the mast to the back to match the luft in the main sail, this required 3 lbs of pressure.
4. With the sails at closed haul the main is 5 deg off center and the jib is 15 deg off center.
5. I set the camber in the main 3 fingers between the boom and foot, the jib is 2 fingers.
6. I set the twist on the main sail using the vang, the lower batten is parallel to the boom and top batten is 15 deg off the boom.
7. I set the twist on the jib to match the main using the topping lift.
8 Next I balanced the jib boom with a brass weight, with the sheet line disconnected and the boat on its side the boom sits 90 deg to the hull. With the brass weight it sit a little of the edge of the hull.

Here is my build log in case you have not seen it, it might answer some of your question.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354056

Ed
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:53 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
Richard,

I used Ed's settings as a baseline when building my Canterbury. I've only sailed my boat three times in mostly light air so I can't say I have a good answer to question 1. I'd say my boat has seen maybe 10kts in gusts and was perfectly happy with the A rig.

My mast at the moment is stepped at 530mm from the bow. Last time I had the boat out (very light wind...less than 5kts) the boat seemed to respond well to a bit more aft rake. My gut tells me that moving the step back to the max 540mm and removing some of the aft rake might be a better solution in light air. When I get the boat out in some breeze, I'll try moving the mast step forward and raking the rig even less to reduce weather helm.

I don't think the jib topping lift and the counterweight have much to do with each other. The topping lift allows control of the jib leech profile (or twist) while the counterweight just helps encourage the jib to go "wing on wing" downwind.

I'm not aware of a specific tuning guide for the C-J. Bob S. at Sirius Sails provided a general tuning sheet with his sails. This basically just covers recommended sheeting angles, twist profiles and draft setttings for his sails.

I think Ed Crowell and I are still on the steep slope of the learning curve with the Canterbury J, but I can tell you, so far it's a sweet sailing boat!!!

Kevin
Canterbury J #551
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Bob's 2nd C-J on the water at Ravenswood Sanctuary Pinjarra WA

More photos hopefully this weekend..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:57 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
CJ build information

Richard,
I just updated my build log to include some information on deck features that I'm working on. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727959
I've taken the text from Kevin's boat, CJ #551, build log and put it into a Word document so I could easily search for information that I need as I went along with my build. It has been a real help. I haven't updated it recently, but it most of the details of the build. I did the same thing for Ed's boat, CJ #529, but I didn't get as far with it as the other one because my hull arrived. If they don't mind I'd be glad to send them to anyone who wants them. I downloaded most of the pictures of Kevin's build with the intention of including them in the Word document, but I haven't done that yet. I don't know if I'll get to it or not. If the rain keeps up there is no telling what I might get done.

Jim CJ #503
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley