HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
How serving the nation vs serving yourself works

Easy...you're willing to put your nation above your job.

Quote:
Congressman John Conyers, Democrat, from Michigan has just served up the money quote regarding his party's true position on doing something about our nation's budget woes:

"This is the first time that I can remember being confronted by members of the Congress, my colleagues, who say, 'I don't care if I get reelected or not, I want to cut the budget by $100 billion or whatever,'" said a bewildered Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), who was first elected to Congress in 1964. "I've never seen that kind of a member before. ... It's a dangerous point of view from my perspective."

Those weren't Democrats he was referring to but Republican congressmen who have demonstrated their serious intent to do something about this economic crisis even if it costs them their jobs. As Conyers makes clear, this is a concept completely alien to Democrats.
what actual responsibility looks like
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:08 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Conyers was the guy that pretty much admitted that he didn't know what was in the Obamacare bill and laughed at the notion that people were demanding their Congresmen to read the bill before signing right?
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:18 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
The OP makes perfect sense in that I wouldn't expect ANY Democrat politician to put the country ahead of their job, and I am proven right time after time.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,861 Posts
The dam broke, far too many items in the news this week... I am very concerned.

The other scary thing, hat tip to zero hedge... China has been buying Euro's on the dips over the last 2 weeks. It's a confusing scenario that is playing out... I closed the DXY spread trades, small gains but something is about to break.

I mention this because, have any of you seen the devastating TV adds coming out about Obama's policies cause/effect?
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:20 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,861 Posts
Back to the regularly scheduled program…

Quote:
As Conyers makes clear, this is a concept completely alien to Democrats. And he's assuredly right about
one thing-it is indeed dangerous-especially to old dinosaur…
I find it amazing at the honesty in his comments, but as the article indicates… there is a likely outcome. We saw this in the midterm elections when rino republicans got handed walking papers… not enough for my liking but enough to signal shifting powers.
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Easy...you're willing to put your nation above your job.

what actual responsibility looks like
Any chance you could cite a reference as to when exactly that was said by Conyers, and where?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:49 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Can I get a rational explanation of how cutting the federal budget is going to solve the economic crisis? And by economic crisis, I mean a poorly performing economy, not the federal budget deficit.

Is it the old, tax them less mantra? Because the taxes aren't going to be lowered significantly by anyone's standards, by either party. The tax rates are going to remain effectively the same. If the spending is lowered, there will only be less going on the credit card, and less going into the bank accounts of government emplyees, contractors, etc. around the nation, and the world.

While that may be a sound long term strategy for reducing the overall economic drag of the government when the spending is reduced slowly, it won't stimulate the economy rapidly as there are very few tax incentives businesses aren't already getting. And that is sure to harm the economy, at least in the time it takes for private enterprise to fill that economic gap. And that might take a while. Until someone can figure out how to generate more jobs, the driving force in the economy, the economic stagnation will continue.

That dem politicians aren't willing to lose their job over holding out over spending cuts doesn't surprise me at all, since it's in opposition to their ideology. They would raise taxes in order to balance the equation. What surprises me is that we've seen so few repubs go on the record as saying they're willing to lose their job over spending cuts, because that should be part of their ideology. It is part of the new Ronald Reagan pledge they all take to get RNC support. Yet the vast majority of repubs won't say any such thing in public.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:45 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjetpilot View Post
The dam broke, far too many items in the news this week... I am very concerned.

The other scary thing, hat tip to zero hedge... China has been buying Euro's on the dips over the last 2 weeks. It's a confusing scenario that is playing out... I closed the DXY spread trades, small gains but something is about to break.

I mention this because, have any of you seen the devastating TV adds coming out about Obama's policies cause/effect?
China's in a pickle. The are long over due for a correction and rise in their currency. They fight it off buy buying any currency in sight, but it has to end. When it does, it won't be pretty for them or us.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
No one can provide the sources I asked for in Reply #6?
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:33 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
No. There are plenty of examples, but all of the same quote.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Whaaaat? You mean you don't just believe???
Rufcut is online now Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
The OP makes perfect sense in that I wouldn't expect ANY Democrat politician to put the country ahead of their job, and I am proven right time after time.
How is it possible you are commenting on something that you never checked for authenticity?

If there are sources and links to prove that Conyers said this, let's get them out where we can all examine them.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,171 Posts
Do you not know that the first duty of a politician is to get reelected? If the politician does not get reelected, how will he or she be able to continue to serve the American people?
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Do you not know that the first duty of a politician is to get reelected? If the politician does not get reelected, how will he or she be able to continue to serve the American people?
Making up and fabricating "quotes" that can then be pasted here is how LTUP works?

HighFlight and MtnGoat are reverting to this now???
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:53 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
google?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/58076.html

m4rs is offline Find More Posts by m4rs
Last edited by m4rs; Jul 01, 2011 at 11:32 PM.