HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:28 AM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
Discussion
Turbo Cad

Anyone know how to make simple accurate incremental breaks in a straight line. Need it to set up a cut file for laser so the parts will stay attached to the sheet.

Thanks,

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:38 AM
NMPRA 86T
United States, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Jan 2008
163 Posts
I usually just draw a vertical (or horizontal) line and offset it by the gap distance your laser cutter requires. I then select the "trim" command, then the lines I just drew, and trim out the lines between them.

I also try to align most of the lines so that the tab you trim off will be with the grain so it is easier to trim. It is a little bit of a trial & error as the size varies from the type of material and the thickness of the parts. Sometimes they will give you different gap distances for different materials and sizes, so you may want to ask them about that.

Good Luck,
ScorpionRacing is online now Find More Posts by ScorpionRacing
Old Jun 30, 2011, 01:49 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
I use double lines set to the correct width, if you need 6 breaks in a straight line, place the outer 2 double lines where you want them along the line , and the middle 4 anywhere along the line, select all of the double lines and use the distribute even horizontal or verticle to make them equal distances from each other, I then make all of the double lines a group, hit the trim command, select the group of doubles and trim between all of them, and hit the cut button while they are all still selected with the trim command to delete all of the double lines at the same time.

Its easier and faster than it sounds
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:57 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
Thanks guys, both of those sound like great workable ideas.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Jul 2006
114 Posts
devcad cam?
jregholdsworth is offline Find More Posts by jregholdsworth