HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:06 AM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
Build Log
Guillow Typhoon #906 conversion

hello All, as a kid, i remembered thumbing through a book of planes and came across the hawker typhoon. i really digged that menacing square jaw up front. then i flipped the page and saw the tempest and liked it even more mainly because of the nicer tail. so here i am with the guillow typhoon kit # 906 and the tempest tail i'm bashing in. guts will be mcx brick, motor/gearbox/prop from mosquito. stock balsa will be used, glues will be gorilla throughout all balsa parts and CA for landing gear parts. other parts will be heat shrink tubing for guides, piano wire, bamboo stick to bridge the elevator halves, parts of a gws prop for control horns and foam block for nose.
igo is offline Find More Posts by igo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:21 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The MCX's brick won't be able to handle the Mosquito motor and prop from what I've heard, you'll need an AR6400.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jun 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
yellow baron, that's interesting. can you or someone verify that? i've actually test run the set up and it seems to work fine.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:33 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I'll have to dig around some after the holiday. if it seems to be working fine for you then by all means have at it!
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:42 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
tail elevator build

here's what i have for the elevator and rudder. this plane will be rudder elevator and throttle. the rudder is the biggest departure from original guillow design. the rudder is scratch built.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
264 Posts
Nice!! What's the weight so far?

I think you should add one more stringer between the leading edge and the first stringer. This would make it look less like a "starved horse" when covered, if you know what I mean. And the stringers in the rear should go all the way to the end of the fuselage. Other than that it's a really nice build and I can't wait to see more pics!
Truckerboy is offline Find More Posts by Truckerboy
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:41 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
igo,

I'm following along quietly. Good job so far! I agree with the few little details that Truckerboy mentioned, but you are moving right along!

-Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jul 07, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
632 Posts
Looking really good!

I bought an Avenger kit to do the same thing.. Will be following as well!
Barrett_G is online now Find More Posts by Barrett_G
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:09 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
truckerboy, that's a good analogy about the starved horse. i've already bashed the rudder so i shouldn't stop there. but i did. why? most likely because as good as that advice is, i'm too lazy to do it. some tissue covered pics are on the way...

barrett g, i just finished building the avenger. mine weighs 1.5oz now due to repairs. here's the link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...uillow+avenger
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:04 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
more fit checking with some covered parts

they look like i glued the wings on but it's just fit checking. wt at this point is 1.1oz. using stock wood. somehow i lost a few pictures of the control wires to the mcx brick, close up pictures of the placement of the brick and close up pictures of the motor mounting. sorry.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 12:33 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
one of the features i liked most about this plane is that the landing gear is space wide apart and the wheels are way ahead of the cg. it makes landing very easy. the landing gear wire design is long enough to act like cantilever beams. i'll get some pics of that soon.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:16 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
all covered up

here's the plane all covered up. the green tissue is not stock. i wanted something bright and found green tissue. i'm sure it's heavy but i'm going for it anyway. the color reminds me of parakeet.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
igo,

Great job...

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr