HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:19 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,174 Posts
Crash -
if you plan to sail in some decent (strong) winds - be sure you have a rescue boat handy. When you cut the swivel for easy connect/disconnect, you also lowered it's strength considerably. If fishing leader snap-swivels used for side shrouds open in wind when they have a positive connect - I might be a bit concerned about your jib to deck connect. There is a lot more tension on that connection than you might imagine - since it acts as both foestay, as well as keeping the jib luff tight for better pointing. If you decide to add backstay tension, - again, a lot of pressure there to straighten out the portion of the swivel that was cut for quick mount/dismount.

Only a word of caution !
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:14 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,489 Posts
Dick
I am surprised you haven't seen any of his videos. He has a a very cool Atlantis Tug that has made many a rescue for his fellow club members.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:12 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Thanks Dick...I will test it at home 1st. That swivel is made of a very strong stainless/chrome of some sort. I use a simular set up on my Nirvana only it is a brass hook swivel and the only time it let go was when I had a little head on with another Nirvana and got de-jibbed...is that a word?

OK...I stopped on the way home from getting a root canal (seriously...damn tooth has been killing me) and picked up some more wire leader in anticipation of having to redo my entire standing rigging, but guess what...it was an optical illusion...I got it right....the spreaders are correct...yea....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:37 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
Crew looks great.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:48 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Crew looks great.
Thanks Miller....

Dick...I did a pull test on that cut down snap last night...you are right...it was a rescue waiting to happen...thanks for catching that...

I replaced that jib connection with the stock black snap to the jib boom where it can be opened and closed a little easier. When its hooked to the deck plate its too hard to get to with my fat fingers inside that little pulpit on the bow.
So what I did was chain that stock black snap to a smaller uncut snap swivel like I was using and it is snaped to the deck plate. So...I have 2 snaps with a swivel in between. It is a little longer than I wanted but is still the recomended length via the instructions.

Questions:
1.) Has anyone added a jib topping lift to this boat?
2.) Can it be added without it hitting the mast or sail?
3.) I notice my main is hitting the backstay...any one have that problem?

I think a longer gooseneck is in the near future. Ordered a spare set of stock sails/battens today before they are gone too...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:54 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,489 Posts
Questions:
1.) Has anyone added a jib topping lift to this boat?
2.) Can it be added without it hitting the mast or sail?
3.) I notice my main is hitting the backstay...any one have that problem?
I think a longer gooseneck is in the near future. Ordered a spare set of stock sails/battens today before they are gone too...[/QUOTE]

Crash,
Since Dennis did his thing on the Nirvana project, I have been considering adding a top lift to my Yamaha. The issue is the stock jib is too close to the mast.

The main sail can touch the upper section of the backstay, but it has had no visable affect on the sail. The jib touches one of the spreaders and has worn a small notch out of the sail fabric.

I was going to buy a back up set of factory sails, but Dennis D. @ Walrus makes both 1.4 mil polyester or out of ripstop material that look like the originals. They work well on my friends Yamaha, so I may go that way. Carr makes a set for these boats too.

The pictures below show my sailing partner's Yamaha (in front) with a set of Walrus 1.4 Mil polyester custom sails.

A different crane might resolve the concerns - Viggio installed a racing style crane and made a custom set of sails that look like they fit with out hitting anything.

If you expand the last photo you can see that I used a standard aircraft clevis to secure the jib. It is very easy to un-clip when needed.

Food for thougth.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:58 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Boomer...your jib boom looks higher than the recommended, that allows it to ride further aft and into the mast....just an observation. That clevis is cool but is causing the problem just mentioned....
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:22 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash View Post
Boomer...your jib boom looks higher than the recommended, that allows it to ride further aft and into the mast....just an observation. That clevis is cool but is causing the problem just mentioned....
Yep - it is - but is sails better that way. I tried it in the recommended position, and found from trial and error, at least on this boat this way worked better.

On the other Yamaha in the pictures, at the suggestion of Dennis, we moverd the connection forward, backwards, higher and lower than the suggested factory position. Where you see it on his boat is where it is working the best.

I have ordered a jib rail that I plan on installing in place of the factor bracket.
I am also planning to add a bowsie or a cleat to that connection to permit easy adjustments. This is only to let me play around to find the "sweat spot"
for the jib to be in.

The boat is surprisingly nibble in little wind and super great in the heavier stuff.

I am learning all the time on this stuff. My two best buddies are advanced sailboat racers (the full sized versions) and RC boats and planes, and are helping me learn about this stuff. I am always up for new info that helps me improve my knowledge, sailling skills and in boat set up. I might add they are very good at helping me spend my money too!

Keep those cards and letters comin!

I included a better picture of the jib position on the other Yamaha with the ripstop Walrus sails. And a snap shot of my two best pals enjoying a wee bit of the Captain's fine rum. That particular day, we all had more than our full rashion! ARRRGGA!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 26, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:45 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
ok...but that is why it's hitting the mast...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2009
52 Posts
crash where can this part be purchessed. I've seen it on others also
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...711__75311.jpg thanks Jack
clouddancer120 is offline Find More Posts by clouddancer120
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:44 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouddancer120 View Post
crash where can this part be purchessed. I've seen it on others also
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...711__75311.jpg thanks Jack
Clouddancer

I can field this question for you since I posted that photo. You can get this item from the manufacturer @ Sailsetc.com link http://sailsetc.com/fitmast.htm#
I think these are the part numbers - go to the link to check it out. Prices are British pounds
26-120 Compression strut 10.50 `
26-140 Compression strut 10.50
26-190 Compression strut - new 10.50

Suggest you send them the picture and their catalog page and tell them you need the price and cost of shipping - they take only credit cards - no Pay Pal.

Nice people - good stuff and fair prices.

Boomer

Two other sources (these are dealers)
http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index...3f1d8c07f8b442
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustra...-%23-014d.html
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 26, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Information appreciated

Hi Everyone, I stumbled upon this thread whilst looking for info regarding a boat that belonged to my Father who has recently passed away. Because of his ill health it had been stored (not very well) away for some time. I believe this Yacht to be the one that is being discussed here. No one in our family is familiar with the RC Yacht scene and we would like to gather some info in regards to the boat in view to selling it. We are in Auckland, New Zealand and have found this listing for a similar yacht on our local trading site (similar to ebay) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=394093566 and we are hoping to sell on the same site. However we would like to see the boat go to a true enthusiast and someone who would appreciate it. Dad had many hours of enjoyment with this boat as he was unable to sail himself in his later years.As soon as things are sorted out I can post some photos but would welcome any advice or inquiries to my email address - Thank you
bellatui is offline Find More Posts by bellatui
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:41 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatui View Post
Hi Everyone, I stumbled upon this thread whilst looking for info regarding a boat that belonged to my Father who has recently passed away. Because of his ill health it had been stored (not very well) away for some time. I believe this Yacht to be the one that is being discussed here. No one in our family is familiar with the RC Yacht scene and we would like to gather some info in regards to the boat in view to selling it. We are in Auckland, New Zealand and have found this listing for a similar yacht on our local trading site (similar to ebay) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=394093566 and we are hoping to sell on the same site. However we would like to see the boat go to a true enthusiast and someone who would appreciate it. Dad had many hours of enjoyment with this boat as he was unable to sail himself in his later years.As soon as things are sorted out I can post some photos but would welcome any advice or inquiries to my email address - Thank you

Bellatui
I am in communications with a chap in Melbourne, Australia who is bidding on the boat on that web site. If he doesn't win the bid, I am sure he'd be interested in your Yamaha if it is in good condition.

I can put him in touch with you if you are interested in getting together. Once you get us some pictures, I confident we can help you find a good home for your Dad's boat.

I will send you a PM to give you my e-mail address -

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 28, 2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:45 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Update on hatch....

I made an improvement on the main hatch last night. I was able to fit the same powerful magnets under the fore end and now have a very strong seal.

I looked at the gasket after the hatch sat a for a few minutes and it looked like I was getting a very tight seal all the way around...but I did lift and reposition the side gaskets a little bit and closed up a gap. It should work very nicely.

Here are some pics...oh and I added a logo to the sail protector too...
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Jul 28, 2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:28 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Got her wet today...