HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:42 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
ahhh...the lights!

The one mod I really think I might add is the boom mod to allow the sail to stay close to the booms even when adding draft/curvature...
Capt.Crash is online now Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
United States, FL, Laurel Hill
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
Yamaha Tamiya R/C Round the World Series

I have a complete Yamaha Tamiya R/C 1/20 scale Round the World series. Anyone interested in buying?
hal1941 is offline Find More Posts by hal1941
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:25 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Possible interest in your boat.

Hal
Just sent you a PM requesting details. I know a fellow in Australia the has been looking - it would have to be in kit form to make it practical to ship.

Check out the message and get back to me.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:31 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2007
27 Posts
sourcing parts

Hi

I'm keen to purchase one of these yachts, but they seem very rare. Does anyone know of a kitset for sale? I've found a secondhand made up one for sale which I am considering, but it does not include the lifelines, stantions or pulpit etc. Can replacement parts for these be bought still?

Thanks
Waikiwi is offline Find More Posts by Waikiwi
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:07 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikiwi View Post
Hi

I'm keen to purchase one of these yachts, but they seem very rare. Does anyone know of a kitset for sale? I've found a secondhand made up one for sale which I am considering, but it does not include the lifelines, stantions or pulpit etc. Can replacement parts for these be bought still?

Thanks
Parts are very limited. Similar metal Stancions can be purchased from a number of online hobby shops. Here in California, I believe Harbor Models http://www.harbormodels.com/ has them.

If that boat is in good shape, and all important parts are intact, it might be worth considering, if the price is right. It can be difficult to ship a completed boat, unless the person shipping it knows what they are doing. Just a "heads up" - Get some real good pictures before you buy.

Keep watching E-bay. From time to time they surface, but you have check regularly or you'll miss it.

Where are you located? New Zealand perhaps? I have another forum buddy in Australia looking for one - I have heard of a fellow that may have two new ones in sealed boxes. If he does have them and is interested in selling one, it will be expensive. Frieght could be pretty expensive to get one down to you.

Boomer
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:31 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
OK...back to the build....

...I left off on the sail arm rebuild...well...when I went back to work on the boat this weekend and I opened the hatch to look inside...unbelievably the sail arm was cracked.

My guess is, a combination of too small a hole was drilled before placing the screws and the age (sitting on a hot shelve in a warehouse for 10 years) of the ABS caused it to be a bit on the brittle side. So another little set back. Fortunately, I just ordered/received a spare. So, this time I decided to NOT drill and screw, but used a larger wheel piece under the arm to get more glue contact. When I went to test it, it striped out…I guess it wasn’t a Hytec wheel…so I added the little white nylon wheel under it. I will have to see if it holds up after all the stripping of the spline on the servo.

I also went to work on the new hatch latch system. I tried a combo of rubber bans front and back, but it was very hard to access the batteries and switch. It is best to use something that doesn’t involve rubber bands. I came up with the wooden fork idea and it works pretty well, but it’s hard to NOT mess up the hatch seal sliding it on. I like the magnets best…in fact I need to try a couple of small ones up front (in the red circle locations) as soon as I can locate some smaller ones. There isn’t enough room up front for the larger ones I used aft. I had to break those in half to get them to fit. You can break them using vise grips and a set of pliers, but it is a hit and miss deal as they snap in two hopefully even pieces...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:44 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Next…I found out when I went to place the pin in the keel shaft, I could not rotate it to the side to side location that it needs to be in to use the pin. When I glued the keel, I also glued the shaft not realizing it needed to rotate or have the pin hole aligned in a certain way. A good thing to know…

It caused problems getting the pin in/out due to the mast on one side fore and the hatch lip on the other aft. This gave me the extra push I needed to go ahead and thread the keel rod. I used an 8/32” thread and nut. I may need to file a little off the top of the shaft before all is said and done, to make more room for the hatch to sit all the way down.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:50 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
While the CA glue was drying under the magnets, I decided to put together a sail protector. I ended up using a piece of foam siding with Velcro straps…a considerable upgrade from the cardboard clip combo I’ve been using on all my other sails….but I figured this set of sails was worth the extra buck to protect the fragile mast spreaders.

I will be adding the “YAMAHA” name to the sail protector later.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:08 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
I also decided to go ahead and replace all the standing rigging with stainless steel fishing wire. I replaced the jib snap with a swivel cut open so I don’t have to snap it and added a streamer made of a plastic trash bag…it is extremely light and should work great.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:24 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Finally...the crew and some sheeting for visual effect. I used some action figures discussed earlier. They are a pit crew set by Tamiya for under $10.00 at Tower Hobby. I painted assembled and painted some more, finishing them off with decals made of plain paper on my ink jet printer, cut and glued to their backs. I sprayed the paper with Krylon Matt clear to make them water resistant before cutting them out. I used “Word” to design the decals.

More time was spent on the crew then anything else on this boat.

I also added brass pins to the figures so I can remove them at will with only a very tight pin hole in the deck. I used the smallest Dremal drill bit to make the deck holes and had to oil the pins to get them in the holes, they fit that tight.

The rope came out ok, is not perfect in several ways, but will due for now.

So…she is ready to rumble…now all I need is some wind and cooler temps…
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:18 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
It always amazes me what I see in photos...

...and knowing my luck I will have to redo the rigging one more time. After looking at the sail protector photos a little closer, it appears that I have the two bottom sets of spreaders reversed (longer ones above the bottom ones). Other photos appear to confirm the findings, but I will have to measure them when I get home to be sure. Having screwed and CA glued the hardware...this will not be fun...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:56 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Crash,
Superb work my friend. I like the way you've done your hatch with the magnets. I picked up some magnets the other day to use on my Nirvana and have some left over. I may try your idea on my boat.

I am a little concerned about the magnets having enough down force to compress the weather stripping adequately to have a water tight seal.

We've talked about the wind on your pond not getting up to a level to be concerned with, but on my home lake, we can see winds well beyond the boats range.

We can see waves that come will comw over the bow and on a tack into a run in high winds can push the bow of the boat under the water at significant speeds, which create some decent water pressure against the foam seal. Thus my concern for a truly water tight seal.

Could be a little more concern than is necessary, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I will try it and see how it works out.

Boomer
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:06 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Boomer...those magnets are really really powerful...I have a hard time getting the hatch up with just the two halves I use now. You actually have to slide them apart a little to get enough of a grip on hatch to pull it up. I think they will compress the seal...at least the one that came with the boat.....I don't know about household weather stripping.

Thanks for the kind comments...I can't wait to get in the maiden...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:14 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Crash
I am sorry I didn't catch the spreader mix up! I looked at the picture you posted looking down from the "crows nest" and should have noticed it.

You just got some extra practice doing the rigging. You will like the SS leader over the "string". It is stronger and looks really cool!

The magnets I found are hard to get apart, so I am hopeful they will do the job. My current set up works perfectly, but I don't like the latch at the back of the hatch. No one has noticed it, but it will look better with out it!

Can't wait to get the report on your maiden voyage!!!!

Boomer
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:18 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Crash
I am sorry I didn't catch the spreader mix up! I looked at the picture you posted looking down from the "crows nest" and should have noticed it.

Boomer
I should of noticed it too...but unless your specifically looking for it...

Oh well...back to Bass Pro for some more leader...BTW if your interested in those graphics for the crew....I can shoot you the Word Doc. Just let me know anytime...Crash