SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:56 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Your boat looks great Boomer...she is the reason I got mine...here is the pic of your boat I really love....that reflection is awesome...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:13 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Collector pics

Thank you Sir! Here's a couple of kinda moody sailboat pics. for your collection
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:04 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Thank you Sir! Here's a couple of kinda moody sailboat pics. for your collection
Boomer
Wow I love that last one...thanks
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:08 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Next I decided to start with some of the little fittings:
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Now the instructions say to install the stuffing tubes for the keel and rudder. I like the way the keel tube is constructed and the o-ring is in a good location.

I greased the o-rings up with Grim Racer Speed Grease before sliding them into position.

I don't like the way the rudder tube o-ring and tube end is sitting on the bottom of the hull. It will provide another little something that adds to the drag. They should of recessed it into the hull to make it sit flush with the bottom...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:25 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Here comes the servo tray and electrics. This boat came with no electrics, so I bought the afore mentioned parts, Nirvana switch and battery box ( I already had on hand) servos and Spectrum reciever (I already had one of these too.) The kit even came with servo arms. Everything went together very well and I got the electrics powered up and installed per the instructions.

This was a very well thought out design and it is very easy to install and remove the whole tray or just parts as again as needed...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Just adding a few pieces and take a look at the last pic...I did a boo-boo...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:21 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,278 Posts
Looking good.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:02 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Looking good.
Thank you...thank you very much...

Ok guys...not everyone will admit to doing what I did....but in the pic you can see I forgot to install the hand cranks before gluing the two halves together. That means cutting them apart to correct....
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:10 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
I managed to correct that little boo-boo by cutting the glued parts open with a razor blade...I got lucky and didn't make a mess of it....see pic below.

Next I got out the silver paint and painted the winch drums. They came out great. The silver paint is much brighter than I hoped for...but I'm sure it will dull in no time once exposed to the elements....
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:23 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
The next set of pics shows where I left off last night. I installed the main hatch gasket and assembled the radar and mast, then I placed the parts on deck for a look. Nothing is glued down at this point.

I have to admit that I am surprised that more thought did not go into the two access hatches. The main front hatch is held down with a rubber band, while the rear rudder access plate is using double sided tape.

I will be looking to improve on this system and try to use magnets to hold these hatches in place. I need access to both every time I sail because I will be assembling and disassembling the boat every time it goes in the car...to include rudder removal...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Crash
You are making great progress and showing us your advanced skills. I know you have seen this picture but I haven't shared it with guys.

I found this method through trial and error. I tried magnets, worked great for making it easy to open and close the hatch, but it didn't put enough pressure on my gasket.

I came up with a simple latch devise at the back of the cover and bolted a trimmed servo arm at the front. I used high grade weather stripping on the inside of that hatch to form a gasket. The servo arm and the latch keep enough pressure on the foam gasket to make a truely water tight seal.

I am looking at a push lok to see how I can work that in on the 2nd boat.
I have another picture some where of another method I guy incorporated on his boat, if can find I'll post it.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:17 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Thanks for the pics Boomer. Did you try the really powerful little magnets or what? I want to try to conceal the device if possible. I don't want latches or buttons showing.

I have something in mind for a better than rubber band system...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:53 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
magnets

Too me they were pretty strong, but I guess that's relative. These hatches have to be really water tight as these boats love the rough weather and are so stable you can heel them over in the heavy winds with the rails deep in the water and hold the course all the way across the pond/lake - you will see blue water on the decks just like the big boys. Thus the need for a good seal.

I don't have to take mine apart to get it to the lake. Just lay it on it's side on the back of the golf cart. I used double sided tape to seal the rudder well.
Just cut it to shape and when I have take it off, it releases pretty well - I get about three or four off and on's with it. Then make a new one.

I can see where you will have to come up with something clever since you have to remove the rudder for transport.

I am headed down to the summer retreat for some sailin and flyin. Check in later. Keep up the great work!!

Boomer

Updated post -Found the pictures I mentioned of another fellow's hatch seal modifications - he also threaded the top of the keel shaft replacing the cotter pin style it comes with.
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM.