SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:46 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Wow! Looks Real Purdy Jim! Good Luck on the Maiden!

I built my new 48" Super Vyper Friday PM and finished it late Saturday afternoon.

Got a Maiden flight in late afternoon today before the storms rolled in. 10-14mph switching winds. No problems, but it was super nose heavy. Got to mod the ESC leads to get the 4S 2650 to sit back farther. It's benched until I find some nice 14g red/blk hookup wire. Copper car wire I have is too stiff.
heritageflyer,

Congratulations on your Super Vyper maiden.

I decided to go with lighter batterys on the 47" Osiris, So instead of using my 4s 3200mAh lipo's, I ordered some 4s 2650mAh lipo's. They are supposed to be here Mon, So I'll change the Connectors and hopefully I'll get to maiden either Tues Or Wed if the weather co-operates.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:02 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Same ones I had planned for that plane and same packs using in the 48SV.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:35 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Same ones I had planned for that plane and same packs using in the 48SV.
Well, I maidened the 47" Osiris today, and it flew just like my 62". Couple clicks of aileron and El and it was flying dead on. Ran six packs through it and wish I'd had six more, It's a ball to fly. Ke is dead on, no trim needed. To say I'm one happy camper would be an understatement.

It's going to take my wife two weeks to slap the silly grin off of my face.

J
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:37 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Thanks for the maiden report and thanks for the earlier photos!

You went thru 6 packs and still wanted more!? I recommend you get a deep cycle battery and take your charger(s) with you to the field. I'm lucky that my field has a deep cycle on site that is charged by solar cells, so I've already got juice, and I just take my two iCharger 106B+ with me. With the Gens Ace packs I can charge up to 5C but usually charge at 3 or 4. With two chargers and 4 Gens Ace packs, I can fly pretty much non stop (well, with a few minutes break between flights to go put batteries on the charger and such).

Really looking forward to getting the Baby O!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:56 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
Thanks for the maiden report and thanks for the earlier photos!

You went thru 6 packs and still wanted more!? I recommend you get a deep cycle battery and take your charger(s) with you to the field. I'm lucky that my field has a deep cycle on site that is charged by solar cells, so I've already got juice, and I just take my two iCharger 106B+ with me. With the Gens Ace packs I can charge up to 5C but usually charge at 3 or 4. With two chargers and 4 Gens Ace packs, I can fly pretty much non stop (well, with a few minutes break between flights to go put batteries on the charger and such).

Really looking forward to getting the Baby O!
KTMRacr, I have a Deep Cycle Battery, But I don't Really need to take it to the field. I charge enough batteries at home to last me for a day's flying session. I usually take three pattern planes and a 3D plane to the field and the appropriate batteries for each plane.

There Is talk about bringing electricity out to our field , then if that happens, I and the other electric flyers wouldn't have to carry as many batteries or lug around a heavy deep cycle battery.

J
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:13 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Ran six packs through it and wish I'd had six more,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
I charge enough batteries at home to last me for a day's flying session.
OK, just sayin... My first impression was that you didn't have enough batteries.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
361 Posts
A nice man from Canada Post dropped off my 47" Osiris today.
Thanks Rob!!
Lance
LanceMc is online now Find More Posts by LanceMc
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Glad it arrived safely
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:47 AM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
I have a eflight power 10 that needs a home, you guys think it could work in this plane??
Joe_Wildcat is offline Find More Posts by Joe_Wildcat
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
361 Posts
Well Guys. I'm ready to maiden this beautiful bird tomorrow. Like a dummy, I broke a ball link connector. Rob from ADC is sending me some spares. (Thanks again Rob.) In the meantime I'll use the old Z bend connector technique. Is there anything I should be ready for? For example, my entry level pylon racer requires alot of right rudder and right aileron on takeoff. Or is it smooth as silk like my 3DHS 41" Edge?
Thanks
Lance
LanceMc is online now Find More Posts by LanceMc
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
Landings are not optional
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
I haven't flown my osiris yet, but pattern planes are typically some of the easiest to take off and land, they fly so straight and smooth. Just go fly it!
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:11 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Wildcat View Post
I have a eflight power 10 that needs a home, you guys think it could work in this plane??
A E-flite power 10 would be underpowered for this plane, You should have a motor that's rated for at least 500W and 800 to 950Kv to fly this plane, like it should be flown.

J
Last edited by Jim Lee; Aug 19, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
United States, MI, Saginaw Charter Township
Joined Feb 2007
114 Posts
A power 25 on 4 cells would be perfect.
RCBRUSKI65 is offline Find More Posts by RCBRUSKI65
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBRUSKI65 View Post
A power 25 on 4 cells would be perfect.

The E-Flite Power 25 weighs 60g more than the recommended motor, and is considerably more powerful. It would require bigger packs, and the total weight ends up quite a bit hieavier.

I've was flying a 47" Vanquish on a 130g, 870kV motor, and it was fine, certainly with 4S packs at the low end of spec'd size and weight. I plan on using this power set-up in my Osiris when it arrives. I like light airplanes.

I think the E-Flite Power 15 is closer the specified motor, but even it is 22g heavier and a bit high on the kV. The Power 10 does look a bit under-powered.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:44 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceMc View Post
Is there anything I should be ready for? For example, my entry level pylon racer requires alot of right rudder and right aileron on takeoff. Or is it smooth as silk like my 3DHS 41" Edge?
Thanks
Lance
Hi Lance:

The Osiris takes off and lands very easily. It will be airborne is just 20 feet or so, and requires no rudder or aileron input on take off. And it's such a floater that you can comfortably land it with a power off glide and a very slight flair as it sets down. Piece of cake.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse