HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:45 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
47" Osiris

I'm thinking about getting a 47" Osiris to go along with my 62" Osiris. I've read the assembly manual online at 3DHS, but I didn't see any information about the diameter of the spinner that's needed for the 47" Osiris.

Can someone that's using a spinner let me know what size to buy?

Since I don't have a local hobby shop anymore, I try to order everything I need at one time.

Thanks in advance.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:52 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,141 Posts
Hi Jim:

It's 1.5 inches. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I couldn't fit a spinner on mine because the radial mount prop adaptor for the Torque motor I'm using is too short. But under the best of circumstances, I think it's a very tight fit for the prop hub in such a small spinner. However, the 3DHS photos show the plane with a spinner, so there must be a way to fit one. I ended up getting a bullet prop nut for my prop adaptor and just going with that.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:15 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,893 Posts
the prop adapter on the omega is pretty long and a spinner works as long as the backplate is thin like on the extreme flight ones or the greatplane clear e-spinners but you have to enlarge the whole to make them work
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:29 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
Hi Jim:

It's 1.5 inches. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I couldn't fit a spinner on mine because the radial mount prop adaptor for the Torque motor I'm using is too short. But under the best of circumstances, I think it's a very tight fit for the prop hub in such a small spinner. However, the 3DHS photos show the plane with a spinner, so there must be a way to fit one. I ended up getting a bullet prop nut for my prop adaptor and just going with that.

Neil
Thanks Neil, Now that you mentioned it, I did see that you posted a 1.5" spinner.
I'll be using a Scorpion motor with a extra long 5mm prop adapter and a Hyperion 40mm spinner that is built especially for the 11 to 14" prop hubs without cutting.http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-61...r--dsh-/Detail

J
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:05 AM
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
are the Torque motors a direct fit on the holes and blind nuts of this plane? is the 2814/820 the correct motor for this?
flipteg is offline Find More Posts by flipteg
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,141 Posts
Yes and Yes.

Neil
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:13 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,141 Posts
I flew my Osiris today on the two new Gens Ace 25C 4s 2500 packs that I bought for it. Very happy experience. Performance is great, and I flew 8 minute flights and put back about 1600 mAh into the packs. AUW with these packs is 2 lbs. 13 oz. I am very pleased with this plane!

Neil
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
I flew my Osiris today on the two new Gens Ace 25C 4s 2500 packs that I bought for it. Very happy experience. Performance is great, and I flew 8 minute flights and put back about 1600 mAh into the packs. AUW with these packs is 2 lbs. 13 oz. I am very pleased with this plane!
Ditto. I love it though I had a little issue on the 2nd landing and now she has battle scars
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:40 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,824 Posts
whoops
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Last edited by heligrom; Aug 01, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:48 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
590 Posts
Ok wing span is 47". What is the length and wing area? Why does 3DHS not publish these? Thanks.
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
Where are yall putting the battery I am using gens Ace 4s 2500 and I have to put quite a bit of up trim ( otherwise it heads straight toward the ground ) I have moved the battery back to about an inch from the wing tube and it is still nose heavy. The setup is the 130 omega hs-65mgs and hacker 55amp. It flew great once i trimmed it out but I don't think I should need this much trim.
Azone411 is offline Find More Posts by Azone411
Old Aug 04, 2011, 04:04 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azone411 View Post
Where are yall putting the battery I am using gens Ace 4s 2500 and I have to put quite a bit of up trim ( otherwise it heads straight toward the ground ) I have moved the battery back to about an inch from the wing tube and it is still nose heavy. The setup is the 130 omega hs-65mgs and hacker 55amp. It flew great once i trimmed it out but I don't think I should need this much trim.
Have you done an inverted flight test?? In case you don't know how to do this, take your plane up to a safe altitude, and roll it inverted at about 1/2 to 5/8 throttle, and see what it does. If you need lots of forward on the elevator stick, it is nose heavy, if you don't need any stick movement, it is neutral, and if you have to hold back on the stick, it is tail heavy. For a plane of this type, as it is not normally flown as a 3D plane, you want a slight push forward on the stick. This will make it "slightly" nose heavy, which is good for precision flight, and also for good landings.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:14 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,141 Posts
Azone:

I have a very similar set up to you, including the same batteries, but I'm using a different motor which may be lighter than yours. So the question to ask isn't where I'm putting the battery, but where the CG is, measured back from the leading edge of the wing. I am flying mine with the CG located 125 mm back from the leading edge (the rear most point of the range recommended by 3DHS). I get this by putting my battery about 1.5" in front of the wing tube. I don't require any up trim (i.e., the elevator is totally neutral). I'm very happy with the CG at that point. It requires just a tiny touch of down elevator to fly level inverted, and there is hardly any roll or pitch coupling in KE. Try measuring the CG point on the wing and see what you get.

Neil
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:48 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
My NIB Red 47 Osiris is still for sale. First guy had his two deals fall through so it is still available. $185 Shipped, USPS Insured, Stateside only.
heritageflyer, I received the 47" Osiris Thurs Aug 4th, Started Asssembling it on Fri Aug 5th. Finished it Today and let me tell you, It doesn.t get any better then this. 3DHS planes just keep getting better and better.

Everything fit like it was supposed to and more or less just fell together. Completed Airframe sans Battery weighed 2lbs 6ozs.

Depending on the weather I will maiden it either tues or wednesday. If it flys like my 62" Osiris, I'm going to love it. The other 25e sized planes will probably get some hanger time after I maiden the baby Osiris.

Thanks again,

J

Click on photos to enlarge
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:07 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Wow! Looks Real Purdy Jim! Good Luck on the Maiden!

I built my new 48" Super Vyper Friday PM and finished it late Saturday afternoon.

Got a Maiden flight in late afternoon today before the storms rolled in. 10-14mph switching winds. No problems, but it was super nose heavy. Got to mod the ESC leads to get the 4S 2650 to sit back farther. It's benched until I find some nice 14g red/blk hookup wire. Copper car wire I have is too stiff.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer