HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:01 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,124 Posts
Flight Report

I had a great time this morning maidening my 47" Osiris. Basically, everything they say about the 62" version seems to also be true of the junior model. I started out with the CG at the furthest forward of the suggested range (11 cm to 12.5 cm back of the LE). It felt a bit nose-heavy for my taste, and had some pitch and roll coupling in KE. I ended up moving it back to the most rearward of the range, and found it much more to my liking with the coupling issues almost completely eliminated . The plane tracks beautifully, and the snaps were everything I was led to believe they would be (very quick, and easy to stop very precisely). I am using a Torque 2814T/820 (which seems to be an almost exact equivalent to the Hacker A30-14L that is recommended). With 4S 2100 pack, I flew for 8 minutes and put back around 1500 mAh, so I see no reason to get any larger capacity packs for this plane.

I have to again praise Ben & Co. for the easy build of this model. I hate building, and usually try to find someone else to do it for me. I'm a bad combination of having very little patience myself, but wanting everything to be perfect (which is why it's usually better for me to have my planes assembled by others). But this model was so easy to put together! It arrived Friday, and I had it ready to fly today without breaking a sweat. Here's a pic of the plane before it's first flight.

PS: to Zack, I think you are obsessing a bit over the assembly. I think you may have been confused by the fact that the horizontal stab on this plane is not only airfoiled, it's tapered, so it will not lie flat on a table. Just line it up with the wing tube as specified in the instructions, and I'm sure it will be fine. Trust me, if I could do it, you can!

PPS: Thanks for the suggestions about the Hacker prop adaptor. I may try to fit a spinner, but frankly, if I could find a "bullet" shaped prop nut to fit, I would just put it on there and call it a day. The 1.5" diameter spinner is going to be a tight squeeze under any circumstances.
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:28 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Man I really have to stop reading BOTH threads on the new Vyper and Osiris!!! I need to just pick one and stop reading the other one! I won't be able to do that I know, and I won't be able to keep myself from getting one of each.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and thanks for the pic! That is a really beautiful plane. I can only imagine how well it flies.

Oh yea, and thanks for the run time report on the batteries! I was wondering if 2500 mAh would be enough to get a 6 minute flight in, but the fact that you are getting 8 minutes (with only 1500 mAh used) is awesome!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:29 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
card stock is a cool idea
Hmm... Well I guess we all know who's idea that was in the first place now.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:35 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
PS: to Zack, I think you are obsessing a bit over the assembly. I think you may have been confused by the fact that the horizontal stab on this plane is not only airfoiled, it's tapered, so it will not lie flat on a table. Just line it up with the wing tube as specified in the instructions, and I'm sure it will be fine. Trust me, if I could do it, you can!
Bingo! You nailed it. I guess this being a precision plane I wanted to make sure everything is absoltutely perfect (well as perfect as I can make it anyway). I will move forward with the build tonight and plan to maiden mine Saturday morning. Congrats on your sucessful maiden flight!
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:47 AM
"Failure is not an option"
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
Fired my Osiris up for a pre flight with a 12x6 APC, Omega 130g and Hacker 55esc and was 48 amps and 714 watts. She weighed in at 3lbs 4 oz. Maiden later today if its not too hot. Us long Islanders dont see 104 degrees much.
TOFAST4U2C is offline Find More Posts by TOFAST4U2C
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:39 PM
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
Got a couple of flights on the Baby Osiris today. Turns out I have a radio glitch causing some trouble hense only 2 flights. But those 2 flights were good ones. Man this baby moves like a scalded monkey with the 4s 3300 mah. pack, 7 min flights and going vertical is effortless, I have to get off the throttle or I cant see it. Nice and straight with very precise lines. On down lines letting her slow down to a crawl then full throttle looks great. Was hovering without much effort but thats just power over weight. Just as nice as its big brother with much less space required to get the giddy up going. I did see an issue with high rates on the elevator. Every thing lines up on the elevator but on full up on high she cork screws badly. I dont seam to need the high rate for pattrn or sport flying any way. Seems to like slightly hot landings but the jury is still out on that one. Everyone should have a Baby Osiris.This was my second 3DHS plane that required no trim adjustments on the maiden, zero.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,124 Posts
TOFAST:

You might want to try a lighter battery. I'm flying mine at 2 lbs. 12 oz. Vertical is unlimited, but landings are very easy. Also, your issue with high rate elevator is not any kind of defect with the model, in my opinion, just an example of what happens when you try to treat a pattern plane like a 3D foamie.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:04 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFAST4U2C View Post
Got a couple of flights on the Baby Osiris today. Turns out I have a radio glitch causing some trouble hense only 2 flights. But those 2 flights were good ones. Man this baby moves like a scalded monkey with the 4s 3300 mah. pack, 7 min flights and going vertical is effortless, I have to get off the throttle or I cant see it. Nice and straight with very precise lines. On down lines letting her slow down to a crawl then full throttle looks great. Was hovering without much effort but thats just power over weight. Just as nice as its big brother with much less space required to get the giddy up going. I did see an issue with high rates on the elevator. Every thing lines up on the elevator but on full up on high she cork screws badly. I dont seam to need the high rate for pattrn or sport flying any way. Seems to like slightly hot landings but the jury is still out on that one. Everyone should have a Baby Osiris.This was my second 3DHS plane that required no trim adjustments on the maiden, zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
TOFAST:

You might want to try a lighter battery. I'm flying mine at 2 lbs. 12 oz. Vertical is unlimited, but landings are very easy. Also, your issue with high rate elevator is not any kind of defect with the model, in my opinion, just an example of what happens when you try to treat a pattern plane like a 3D foamie.

Neil
Thanks for the flight reports. I'm especially interested in battery size vs. flight time vs. flight performance. Looking to get one of these in the future and I really like big batteries. I'm just returning to this hobby and I don't necessarily need the "BEST" flying plane for competition or anything like that, I would rather have flight time so I get more of it so I can get better quicker. That being said, I don't want to make the plane fly like ass at the expense of flight time. If you can get the CG good with a 3300 pack, and get it trimmed out pretty good, and you can still land the thing relatively easy, then I would personally go down that path to start with. On the other hand, if going with a 3300 pack makes it so that lots of mixing is required for KE and such, then I don't want to do that. No need to make the learning curve steeper than it needs to be.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
KTM
I left out the knife edge required almost zero right stick. If you want a powerful compact yet accurate sport/pattern flyer the Baby Osiris won't let you down is my guess. I have been enjoying the larger version for awhile now. Same results just a lot less dollars.
Neil, I have some smaller and lighter packs but I thought I would try a Gensace 4000 4s and get closer to 10 mins flight time.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
how many mAh per minute are you using based off how much you put back in with your charger?
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:54 PM
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
I don't know if I can answer your question but 4s 3300mah came down cool and with 51 percent remaining on my meter. I haven't charged the packs yet. Hope that helps.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:58 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFAST4U2C View Post
I don't know if I can answer your question but 4s 3300mah came down cool and with 51 percent remaining on my meter. I haven't charged the packs yet. Hope that helps.
Let us know how much you shove back in please.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:57 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,855 Posts
My NIB Red 47 Osiris is still for sale. First guy had his two deals fall through so it is still available. $185 Shipped, USPS Insured, Stateside only.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
My NIB Red 47 Osiris is still for sale. First guy had his two deals fall through so it is still available. $185 Shipped, USPS Insured, Stateside only.
I would buy it off ya... I just can't do it for a few weeks yet... If you still have it after the middle week in August, I'll buy it. Just can't do it at the moment!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:42 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,855 Posts
Copy that! It may still be here by then.... I may be picking up another Buck Huck soon (I hope) before they are gone.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer