HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:29 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
Well it finally happened

Dumb thumbs. Taxing it back from the runway I gunned it a little and ran right into the net/pole that protects the pilots. I usually taxi to the end but nobody was out flying so figured what the heck.

Of course 3dhs is out of stock on the wing.

It broke between the ribs so should be an easy fix. Just going to have to buy a couple rolls of ultracote now.

I assume black but what blue color do they use?

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:39 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Feb 2002
160 Posts
that is very fixable. Popsicle stick backer and a balsa patch.
astropuppy is offline Find More Posts by astropuppy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
Yeah would rather fix it instead of buying a new wing. Here is a pic with some covering removed. The leading edge is sheeted so should be able to make a patch for that. Ultracote is going to cost more than a new wing wold But I can use that for other things I'm building.

Was going to enter a contest coming up but I was behind practicing anyway.

Robert
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:51 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Feb 2002
160 Posts
is the spar intact?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:34 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
[QUOTE=kingconsulting;23967523]Yeah would rather fix it instead of buying a new wing. Here is a pic with some covering removed. The leading edge is sheeted so should be able to make a patch for that. Ultracote is going to cost more than a new wing wold But I can use that for other things I'm building

After I damaged a wing on my 62" Osiris, Since the damage was all in the sheeted area of the leading edge. I used Monocoat trim sheets to recover it. A lot less expensive then buying rolls of covering. The colors weren't a exact match, But, Since 3dhs didn't have a replacement wing in stock, I got tired of waiting and just repaired the original wing. It flys just as good now as it did before the damage. (I did have to rebalance the plane laterally)

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
Yes the spar is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropuppy View Post
is the spar intact?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
That's a good idea. I still might pick up the rolls though. This is my favorite plane right now so want it the same as it was (as best as I can).

Going to put a couple small square pieces from rib to rib, Wedge and sand a leading edge between the ribs and resheet that section.

I got real lucky it broke exactly between the ribs. I could still have flown it the way it was the wing was still solid. Of course I wouldn't want to test that

Will post some pics when I get it done this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
After I damaged a wing on my 62" Osiris, Since the damage was all in the sheeted area of the leading edge. I used Monocoat trim sheets to recover it. A lot less expensive then buying rolls of covering. The colors weren't a exact match, But, Since 3dhs didn't have a replacement wing in stock, I got tired of waiting and just repaired the original wing. It flys just as good now as it did before the damage. (I did have to rebalance the plane laterally)

J
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:33 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Feb 2002
160 Posts
Being the spar is intact; here's a wild idea. Glue several bamboo skewer sticks or dowels between the ribs spanwise. Then fill the void with expanding insulation foam. When dry shape an airfoil and cover with sticky back monokote or shelf paper.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:20 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,641 Posts
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have this and the 48" Super Vyper? Is there a big enough difference in precision flying that I should wait for the Osiris to come back in stock? Thanks!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:26 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
difference in precision flying

FlyWW1,

That would depend on which you like to do more. Precision flying or 3D flying. Both the 47" Osiris and the 48" Super Viper can be flown either way. For a combination of both, I'd give the Super Viper the edge. For Precision Flying I'd give the Osiris the edge.

Most modern Tx's have duel rates on all surfaces, So Crank up the throws on High Rates and do 3D, Flip the switch and go low rates for the precision bit.

My vote goes to the Osiris, As I like to fly precision (I fly precision a little better than 3D) more than I like to fly 3D

J
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,641 Posts
Unfortunately the little Osiris has been discontinued. So now I'll never know unless I pick up a used one.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:23 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Well, I haven't tried one, But have you looked at the Oasis? It's a little bigger than the Osiris (50" wingspan) It looks like a nice flying plane. I've only seen one review on it and it was a favorable one. The price is right on it also. If I didn't already have way too many pattern planes of this size, I would give it a try.

http://www.valuehobby.com/review/pro.../category/185/

J
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,641 Posts
I have been looking at the Oasis. However there are no videos that I could find. Plus the only review I could find was good but he hadn't flown it yet. Plus with the Super Vyper only being $20 more after shipping I figured I shouldn't take the chance.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:29 PM
¿Por Qué No?
Joined Aug 2011
29 Posts
last chance

The baby Osiris will be available in mid March from Esprit and ADC Hobby.
whyrudy is offline Find More Posts by whyrudy
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,641 Posts
Not according to 3DHS. I asked them directly and they said it's been discontinued. I think they just haven't updated their websites yet.

The 47" Osiris is being discontinued from our lineup.

Regards,

3DHS