HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:22 AM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Has anybody gone from analog to digital servos on a plane like this before? I was able to pick up a set of high tecs cheap and was interested if you can tell the difference...I have always cheaped out and just got analog...thx..
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
I started changing from analog to digital on my 25 size and up pattern planes a couple of years ago. The 2 advantages that digital are supposed to have is better holding power(less blowback) and better centering. Quicker....? depends on the servo that you buy.

I've been using Hyperion digital servos and they are priced to where you won't break the bank buying them . There are also others in the same price range.

I also use Hobbico digital servos on my Glo powered Sport planes. When You need to replace gear sets, It uses a HiTec gear train, So I'd say they are made by HiTec.

Some of the first digital servo's that I used were HiTec. They are still going strong and the only thing I've had to do was replace a gear set in one of them, Which was my fault. I jammed the tail of the plane in the side of my trailer when I was loading it and broke a couple of teeth on one of the gears.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Jim, could you tell the difference between the two? Jason
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Not a whole lot. The most noticeable thing was that once trimmed, the plane was very predictable. It flew with more precision, due to the better centering.

Most of my flying is done on low rates with very little deflection of the surfaces. I feel that the digital servos, with their better holding power are an advantage.

I don't fly competitive pattern anymore, But, I still practice the AMA Advanced and Masters pattern sequences anytime I take my pattern planes to the flying field.

The only time I go to the flying field and just fly simple patterns, Is when I'm flying my Glo Powered Sport planes, But they also have digital servos.

I just feel that for the extra five to ten dollars that a digital servo costs, It's worth it to me. As I've said before, The only failure that I've had with a digital servo was because of carelessness on my part.

I've read threads where some were using the less expensive digital servos sold by some of the online hobby shops and were having good luck with them. I personally haven't tried them, So I can't say, Yea Or Nay about them. Right now I'm waiting for the 2m Osiris to come out. If it doesn't make it this winter, I'll probably go ahead and order the 2m Vanquish, So I'll have a 2m plane for the start of Spring flying season.

I've already bought the high voltage Hyperion digital servos that I will be using in a 2m Plane.
J
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Jim, can a guy go use a "47 inch Osiris for sportmans class? I was thinking of putting together a 62 to try a few events this year..That would cost me about a 1k as I don`t run 5 cell at the moment.. any tips for guys wanting to get involved in pattern and not use a 2k$ plane to start? I`m sure I`m not alone on this..thx..Jason
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
We don't have many pattern contests up my way, But I would think that you could use the 47" Osiris to compete in Sportsman pattern. I've heard of pattern fliers using the 48" Vanquish in competition and doing well with it. The 47" Osiris is just as capable as the 48" Vanquish. I have both of them and I'd be hard put to choose one over the other in flying precision aerobatics.

The best thing to do to get your feet wet in pattern events, Is to go to the pattern contests and ask for help. Explain that you are new to pattern and would like to compete. I've run into very few pattern fliers that would refuse to spend some time talking to you or even flying your plane and telling you what trim it needs for competition.

If you have a flight sim, memorize the Sportsman pattern sequence http://www.nsrca.us/documents/judgin...20-%202011.pdf

and practice it as often as possible. I like to fly four flights on the sim, (I record each one) Then look at each one and see what I need to work more on. I do a lot of sim flyiing during the winter.

I started flying in pattern events in the early 70's and most of the planes that were being flown were kits that were put out by some of the top fliers of that era. A Kaos was just as competitive in Class A as was a Utopia. Class A would relate to the Sportsman class of today.

J
Last edited by Jim Lee; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Sep 2010
18 Posts
I recently won the sportsman level of my clubs pattern competition with a Pulse 60 (sport plane not a pattern plane). The sportsman is supposed to simple and able to let anyone start flying without needing to buy anything other than a sport plane they would fly. Your focus should not be on what plane to fly but concentrating on learning the pattern and getting the lines straight, the Loops nice and big and round and the rolls axial. I found the hardest part to the pattern was hitting the lines and making the pattern look good. I had a Wind 50 size pattern plane but chose to fly the Pulse as I had done all my practice with the pulse next year I will fly a pattern plane when I have practiced with it for monthes.
thebest_102 is offline Find More Posts by thebest_102
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
I wasn`t worried so much about the planes ability as much as the size of it. I `m pretty sure i could do ok with my 51 Slick.. I did end up buying a 62 Osiris because it was on sale..

I agree the lines are the hardest part...Everything in the sportsman pattern is pretty basic..Trying to make it look perfect is an another matter..
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
Ah well. Flight #48 on my little Osiris was not so lucky. Pulled the innermost rib off one wing and broke the second rib in as well. Cowl is toast and some damage to the sheeting on one side. I'll try to fix it, but if it's beyond my capabilities, should I get a Vanquish 48"? All the hardware would be transferable. The Osiris has been out of stock for months.

Edit: Looks like the Vanquish is out of stock, too. What's a guy gotta do to get a mid-size pattern plane around here?
Neko is offline Find More Posts by Neko
Last edited by Neko; Jan 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:49 PM
¿Por Qué No?
Joined Aug 2011
29 Posts
I heard the Baby 'O' will be available from ADC and Esprit in a couple of weeks.
whyrudy is offline Find More Posts by whyrudy
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:17 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Ah well. Flight #48 on my little Osiris was not so lucky. Pulled the innermost rib off one wing and broke the second rib in as well. Cowl is toast and some damage to the sheeting on one side. I'll try to fix it, but if it's beyond my capabilities, should I get a Vanquish 48"? All the hardware would be transferable. The Osiris has been out of stock for months.

Edit: Looks like the Vanquish is out of stock, too. What's a guy gotta do to get a mid-size pattern plane around here?
I think they are both very good, I would get what is available
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
How about this guy (Super TaiJi EP 40)?

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...?ProductID=155
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:40 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Neko,

The Super Tiaji 40 is a little bigger plane than the Vanquish or the 47" Osiris. It's a good flying plane, But you probably would have to go with different equipment if you bought this plane.

I have one and there is a build thread here on F3A Pattern. It will show you just about every thing you need to know about building this plane and choosing the gear for it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516967

If you decide to go ahead with this plane, be sure and read post 41, It shows what 19Graham91 did to his to get the C/G far enought aft. If I were to build another Super Taiji, I would do the same as he has done. The way it's set up from the factory results in the plane being far too nose heavy.

J
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:44 AM
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
Thanks, Jim. So the hacker A30-14L wouldn't hack it? PM me if you don't want to hijack this thread. I should have done that myself, I suppose, but it's not my fault the O's are missing.
Last edited by Neko; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:31 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Neko,

The Hacker would probably fly it, But not to the full capabilities of the airplane.

If you want to post more about the Super Taiji, put it in the Super Taiji thread, That way we won't be hijacking this thread. I monitor that thread also.

J