SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:01 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Sorry guys I got mine and then had to go out of town. First impressions is that she's a beautiful plane and looks fast even when sitting still. I did screw up one aileron servo hole but I'm blaming my wife for that because she distracted me when I was trying to cut them out. Here's a couple of pictures to hold you over until others post some or I can post some more.
Thanks for the pics. That thing looks saweeeeeeet! Need to get a little more work done and then some invoicing done so I can get one headed to my doorstep!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:37 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
Thanks for the pics. That thing looks saweeeeeeet! Need to get a little more work done and then some invoicing done so I can get one headed to my doorstep!
Perhaps that's why it's taking me so long to build it. I just keep admiring it . Will get her done this week and maiden this weekend.

Couple of built tips/hints: On the wing it looks like there's two places you can mount the aileron servo -- you want to use the hole closest to the front of the wing not the back one . I know there's a picture in the manual but I still screwed up. That's that I get for working on the plane while the wife was yapping at me.

Second the aileron and elevator pushrods are two different diameters. The elevator one is thicker than the aileron pushrods. I had a difficult time getting the ball ends to thread onto the elevator pushrod. What I ended up doing which seemed to help is first thread them onto the thinner aileron pushrod, remove, and then install on the elevator push rod.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Last edited by ZackJones; Jul 19, 2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added Built Tips
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:10 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
International Customers

Please feel free to contact ADC Hobby Store via E-Mail or PM me for a shipping quote.

We've received a small number to this point and should see some more shortly.

Thanks,
Rob
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
does anyone know if this plane uses Ultracote or does it use the same covering as the 42" Slick?
flipteg is offline Find More Posts by flipteg
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:02 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,123 Posts
I am set to maiden mine tomorrow. The build went very fast and smoothly. Only problem I have had was fitting a spinner. I am using a Torque 2814T/820 motor, and the prop adaptor isn't long enough to fit both the spinner backplate and an APC 11X7 E prop. So it will be spinnerless for now, not a big deal by any means. I will post some photos tomorrow.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
I think that is when APC suddenly changed the thickness of their prop hubs making some of the older Torque motor adapters too short.
flipteg is offline Find More Posts by flipteg
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:57 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
Exactly right. I have been buying hacker adapters for use on my torque motors as the hacker adapters have a longer bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
I think that is when APC suddenly changed the thickness of their prop hubs making some of the older Torque motor adapters too short.
going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:41 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Possible Warped Horizontal Stab

Guys,

I could use a little help. I was dry fitting the horizontal stab tonight and I'm thinking it's warped. Below are several pictures I took to illustrate the problem I'm seeing. I realize in a couple of them the ruler / calipers aren't perfectly straight but I think it's close enough for now. I'll put a description under each photo so you can tell what I'm trying to show in each one.

Assuming it is warped how do you fix it? I have zero experience with covering, etc. The cut out for the horizontal stab looks good to me. If you want to see a picture of it I can post that as well.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Guys,

I could use a little help. I was dry fitting the horizontal stab tonight and I'm thinking it's warped. Below are several pictures I took to illustrate the problem I'm seeing. I realize in a couple of them the ruler / calipers aren't perfectly straight but I think it's close enough for now. I'll put a description under each photo so you can tell what I'm trying to show in each one.

Assuming it is warped how do you fix it? I have zero experience with covering, etc. The cut out for the horizontal stab looks good to me. If you want to see a picture of it I can post that as well.
First, install it in the fuselage, and then check it. If it really twisted, then you can twist it in the opposite direction and heat the wrinkles with a heat gun or covering iron.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:07 PM
"Failure is not an option"
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
How does it look in the fues in relation to the wing tube? If its bowed you may be able to shim it. I had to add a shim to mine.
TOFAST4U2C is offline Find More Posts by TOFAST4U2C
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:19 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
First, install it in the fuselage, and then check it. If it really twisted, then you can twist it in the opposite direction and heat the wrinkles with a heat gun or covering iron.
The first two pictures show how it is when it's installed in the fuselage. You can see how much difference there is from one side to the other. (there's quite a bit)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:20 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFAST4U2C View Post
How does it look in the fues in relation to the wing tube? If its bowed you may be able to shim it. I had to add a shim to mine.
That's the odd thing. When I look at it in relation to the wing tube it looks straight or at least it does to me. I fly with another 3DHS addict so I'll see if he can stop by tonight and take a look at it with me.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:21 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
I'm a noob, but since you are so far off measuring from the end of the stab to the table surface, are you sure the gear is on straight and not crooked?
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:31 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
I'm a noob, but since you are so far off measuring from the end of the stab to the table surface, are you sure the gear is on straight and not crooked?
I thought about that last night when I was measuring it. Perhaps I'll take the wheels off or the landing gear off and measure again.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:18 AM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
559 Posts
Zack, first make sure your table is flat. Now take the gear off and slide the wing tube in so it is centered. Now find four objects that are all the same height, I like to use soup cans (full). Now support the fuselage with the soup cans under the wing tube and under the stab. Make sure the soup cans are positioned at the same location in relation to the wing tube and stabs on each side. Now have a look at how the stab rests on the soup cans. Any warp or missalignment will be very easy to see. If you have a large cutting matt with markings, you can set this up over the cutting matt and use the markings to postion the stab square to the wing tube before gluing. I used this method on my Osiris.

This model is much smaller and the wings are on , but you get the idea!
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD