scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Beshouri View Post
Cool. Great to know!

I look forward to flying it.....probably about three weeks from now

Be sure and give us a update on your Osiris, After the maiden flight.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,825 Posts
Will do!

Can't wait.
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
R/C is a SICKNESS
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Get out there man...you'll love it
Duncandiver is offline Find More Posts by Duncandiver
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,825 Posts
I will....as soon as the rain stops!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Where?

Quote:
I will....as soon as the rain stops!
Hi Greg - noticed you're local. Where do you fly? I am a member at BARCS (http://barcs.org/) and I fly my 62" Osiris out of there

Bill
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Last edited by HouseOf4Doors; Mar 13, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,825 Posts
Hi Bill,

I was a Hornet. When that got shutdown I joined SACRC.

I have thought about visiting BARCS but never made it there. I understand it is getting shutdown?

I also fly at the Richmond field station. A friend of mine that works for the EPA has his office there. But it was a pretty tight spot for the Aspera (hence its demise).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bill,

I was a Hornet. When that got shutdown I joined SACRC.

I have thought about visiting BARCS but never made it there. I understand it is getting shutdown?

I also fly at the Richmond field station. A friend of mine that works for the EPA has his office there. But it was a pretty tight spot for the Aspera (hence its demise).
Hey Greg,

Yes, BARCS seems to be hitting the end of the line. It's a stupendous place after 11 AM (sun angle). Great views of Mt. Tam, lots of wild life. I live quite near the Richmond location you mention and have often wondered where a place is that I could fly my bigger parkflyers... but I guess that's private. We use the Bay trail at the west end of that property for biking.

Are there any pattern competition-leaning folks at SACRC? Due to the field orientation, looks like PM flying would be a chore, but AM through midday would be great.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,825 Posts
Yes, AM to noon is great. After that the cross wind can get a big challenging, at least for smaller planes and warbirds. I regularly flew my Aspera in the wind.

There are no pattern-competition fliers that I am aware off.

Let me check with my buddy if he is open to a couple more guys joining our not-a-club.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Yes, AM to noon is great. After that the cross wind can get a big challenging, at least for smaller planes and warbirds. I regularly flew my Aspera in the wind.

There are no pattern-competition fliers that I am aware off.

Let me check with my buddy if he is open to a couple more guys joining our not-a-club.
Thanks, Greg. That would be awesome, and would look forward to meeting you.

Bill
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:46 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
R.i.p.

Bad today flying the 47" Osiris. This is what came out of the tree. The rest is about 60 feet up in a pine . Sure hate hitting that stupid tree. This was one of the best flying planes I've ever flown.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Sorry to hear about your run-in with a tree. Are you going to be able to recover the rest of your gear and Plane? I clipped a tree last season,while turning on approach with my 62" Osiris, But, I was lucky and only damaged the left wing and the left side of the Fuse. It's all repaired now and I'm going to stay a little higher on approach from now on.

Are you going to try to repair your 47" Osiris or get another one. I also have the 47" Osiris and it is the best 47" F3A Pattern Plane that is currently flying.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Hi guys.

Finally maidened my Osiris yesterday, after buying it last summer. Crashed it, unfortunately. Fixable, but I'd like to run this by you:

At take-off, I noticed immediately that it was sensitive to aileron movement, big time. I flew it around, but it was VERY unstable, and a handful. I thought I was going to crash it, unless I got lucky. It would way over-react to control inputs. Finally, got close to the ground, near the runway, but it cartwheeled into the dirt. Broke right side of fuselage, wing separated from fuselage and wing tab is broken. Wing tube broken. Motor mount box is broken along with the cowling. Rudder has a gash in it. Both wings untouched except for the one broken tab. Otherwise, not too much damage, amazingly. CA and balsa and she should be OK, I would think.

First question: 3D Hobby Shop good for spare parts? I didn't see a wing tube listed on their site, or wings. Are spare parts available for this bird, beyond what they list?

Second question: Even though I double-checked the throws and set them to low rates, is this plane super, super sensitive? My Aspera flew like an arrow, completely different from what this one did.

Third question: I suspect CoG was the problem. Maybe the battery came loose, shifted front to back and sideways? I fly with a Thunder Power 3S 4350 mAh batt, ProLite, same one I used in the Aspera. I had done a thorough CoG check, marked battery position, but I'm thinking that if that batt shifted back a half an inch, maybe that was the problem. Anyone have a good feel for how sensitive this bird is to changing CoG?
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:48 PM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
Hi guys.

Finally maidened my Osiris yesterday, after buying it last summer. Crashed it, unfortunately. Fixable, but I'd like to run this by you:

At take-off, I noticed immediately that it was sensitive to aileron movement, big time. I flew it around, but it was VERY unstable, and a handful. I thought I was going to crash it, unless I got lucky. It would way over-react to control inputs. Finally, got close to the ground, near the runway, but it cartwheeled into the dirt. Broke right side of fuselage, wing separated from fuselage and wing tab is broken. Wing tube broken. Motor mount box is broken along with the cowling. Rudder has a gash in it. Both wings untouched except for the one broken tab. Otherwise, not too much damage, amazingly. CA and balsa and she should be OK, I would think.

First question: 3D Hobby Shop good for spare parts? I didn't see a wing tube listed on their site, or wings. Are spare parts available for this bird, beyond what they list?

Second question: Even though I double-checked the throws and set them to low rates, is this plane super, super sensitive? My Aspera flew like an arrow, completely different from what this one did.

Third question: I suspect CoG was the problem. Maybe the battery came loose, shifted front to back and sideways? I fly with a Thunder Power 3S 4350 mAh batt, ProLite, same one I used in the Aspera. I had done a thorough CoG check, marked battery position, but I'm thinking that if that batt shifted back a half an inch, maybe that was the problem. Anyone have a good feel for how sensitive this bird is to changing CoG?

First, I would email 3DHS. They are good about getting stuff to you if needed. Second, what kind of expo where you using? Maybe increase expo setting. This plane is very stable and performs well in windy conditions. Third, I would say that your CG was not right. A 4350mah battery for this plane is to heavy. 3DHS has a great manual to follow, with specific CG measurements. I would suggest using a 4s 2650mah if available.
diggity2424 is online now Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:25 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Suggest checking the direction of any expo. I fly Futaba so (-) expo is helpful. I put 3 more flights on a new 47" today and increased (-) Aileron expo to 30% from 25% at maiden. This aligned low rate aileron feel to that of my 62" Osiris for the way I fly. Osiris pilots enjoy crisp and precise rolling moments when the model is set-up as designed to fly. However, I could definitely see that if the expo is accidentally set in the wrong direction, that one would have a handful. I made that mistake two years ago when maidening an EF Taylorcraft 450 and had elevator expo dialed in the unhelpful direction. Crashed not far from rotation off the grass! LOL I learned all I needed to know about expo from that one. On another note, CG out of range could make any model unstable. 3DHS and AJ provide excellent specs and directions to get the best flight performance from their models so great care must be taken when using gear that is other than recommended. Suggest checking impact of pack size, weight, location on final CG. I am very impressed with the flying characteristics of both Osiris models and how well the little one flies like the big one (which flies like a 2m pattern ship) and have learned that any bad habits in my Osiris are those introduced by myself, the pilot / mechanic, LOL! Good flying! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania