HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:09 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Just getting ready to fly this thing and I'm wondering how much expo are people flying with the default low, medium, and high rates?

Thanks,
Carl
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:51 AM
R/C is a SICKNESS
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
I'm starting my build and have a couple of questions

Also, where do you guys put the rx? I see a ply piece marked RX but no obvious place for those 4 screws.

TIA
Vincent

Hi Vincent

I mounted the “RX mount plate” on the side of the fuselage with CA. I then put Velcro on to allow removal of the RX. This also allows for nice neat wire placement.

Hope this helps, I don’t think there is a WRONG WAY to do this….. but this worked for me.
Duncandiver is offline Find More Posts by Duncandiver
Old Dec 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I ended up putting the rx right in front of the wing tube. Works out for me with the aileron extensions coming out evenly.

Been toying with the CG. I'm surprised by how little flight changes with big cg changes. Battery has gone from against the firewall to almost to the wing tube with not much change. Inverted flight has slowly come up a bit more and I'm almost to where I like it.

More tweaking to come after this week but I'm loving how well it flys.

Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:03 PM
United States, OR, Lake Oswego
Joined Dec 2003
413 Posts
Props static amps, 12x6,11x7,11x8

Hacker A30-12XL 770kv V1 in Aspera, 4s2650mah, 30deg timing

12x6=40amps
11x7=31.5amps
11x8=34amps
732002 is offline Find More Posts by 732002
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
bucket of prop wash
reddinng CA
Joined Dec 2007
950 Posts
can anyone give me a AUW with out the battery and the recommended set up ?

how is the incidence coming out of the box ? i just stuffed my MKII yesterday
garrcass is offline Find More Posts by garrcass
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:18 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Petersen View Post
Just getting ready to fly this thing and I'm wondering how much expo are people flying with the default low, medium, and high rates?

Thanks,
Carl
I'm just flying mine with low and high rates. I use 30% expo on low and 50% expo on high, but I find that expo is very much a matter of personal preference and varies a lot from person to person depending on what people are comfortable with. My recommendation would be to simply set your expo in a range that you are accustomed to from your other models for the first flight, and then alter it (if necessary) to fit what you find most comfortable.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined May 2007
33 Posts
Osiris 47"

Is 700 watts overpowered for this plane? 3DHS specs 700W required
My Aspera performed well @ 500 W.
I'm contemplating the Omega 130 with 3S and 13X 6.5 or 14X7 prop.
I'm using identical power system in my 3dhs YAK 55 wth 46"WS.... output is 500W....very satisfactory.
earp is offline Find More Posts by earp
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:17 AM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
earp said,
Is 700 watts overpowered for this plane? 3DHS specs 700W required
My Aspera performed well @ 500 W.
I'm contemplating the Omega 130 with 3S and 13X 6.5 or 14X7 prop.
I'm using identical power system in my 3dhs YAK 55 wth 46"WS.... output is 500W....very satisfactory.

earp,
I don't feel that the Osiris is overpowered with the equipment that is recommended. I think that the specs were, that you would get approximately 700 watts using the Omega, Torque and Hacker Motors on a 4s 2200-3000 mAh lipo and a 12x6, 11x7 or a 10x8 prop. Not that 700 watts is required to fly the Osiris.

The 47' Osiris will also fly on the same set-up as you used on your Aspera, But the quickest way to get more horsepower, Is to go up in voltage. I would imagine that there are other fliers that are flying their Osiris on 3s set-ups and love the way that the plane flys. If you liked the way your Aspera flew on 3s, Then you would probably like the way that the Osiris flies on 3s.

I'm flying my 47" Osiris with the recommended Omega motor on 4s 30c 2650 lipo and a 11x7e APC prop and it's just amazing how well it flys on that set-up.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined May 2007
33 Posts
Thanks for the input. I will need 2 more 4S batteries. What flight time on 2600 maH?
Did you try 12 X 6 prop?
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:25 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
earp,
I have my timer set at 5 min, That gives me enough time to fly the current AMA pattern sequence that I'm practicing, and still leaves me the 20% reserve that I want in my battery.
I did try the 12x6 prop. I used a 12x6 Xoar prop. I don't remember off hand the numbers I got with it, But decided on the 11x7 with the Omega.

I do use a 12x6 Xoar Prop on my Vanquish, with a Hacker Motor. (A30-14L)

J
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:43 PM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
221 Posts
Very new to pattern stuff. I plan to get an Osiris in the spring. How do I find the AMA pattern sequence that you mentioned? Not easy to find on the AMA site. Any other info about pattern flying would be much appreciated.
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
DonJuan,

Try this link.

http://nsrca.us/index.php?option=com...420&Itemid=470

Look through the Sequences; Aresti, Maneuver Descriptions, and Power Point Presentations.

The Four Classes start with Sportsman and get more involved as you progress down the list.

Most new pattern fliers start with the Sportsman Sequence and progress from there.

The Four Classes are
Sportsman
Intermediate
Advanced
Masters

J
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
DonJuan,

Try this link.

http://nsrca.us/index.php?option=com...420&Itemid=470

Look through the Sequences; Aresti, Maneuver Descriptions, and Power Point Presentations.

The Four Classes start with Sportsman and get more involved as you progress down the list.

Most new pattern fliers start with the Sportsman Sequence and progress from there.

The Four Classes are
Sportsman
Intermediate
Advanced
Masters

J
Thanks Jim.
That is the most informative site I have seen on the subject.
Lance
LanceMc is online now Find More Posts by LanceMc
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined May 2007
33 Posts
Sportsman Practice

I have been putting in the flights for practice. Its very demanding, but rewarding. The threshold (myself) for "competence" with the entire sequence is at least a hundred flights.
Any similar results?
My goal is to compete next season in a few events in district 3 with the Osirius 62".
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:09 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,829 Posts
Well my second Aspera finally died after a gazillion flights. It was a minor had crash (ran into a tree on final, plane fell out of the tree from 5 ft on its tail and broke its back), but really the airframe was worn out. I was kind of waiting for it to fall apart in the sky...

I bought and starting putting the Osiris together. I know others have said this, but I have to repeat it. What a really nice ARF! I like building kits, especially scale planes. But I just want to get a pattern plane in the air. I am really impressed with the level of preassembly and how everything fall together!

I am also impressed with the airfoil vertical and horizontal stabs, hatch latch, precut vents in the cowling...! Maybe the Aspera should have died sooner....

Greg
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Last edited by Greg Beshouri; Feb 05, 2012 at 09:25 PM.