SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
umm, no, nothing is wrong. my motor is bolted on with the proper adapter similar to what is pictured in the manual. it's quite hard to mess up just bolting on a motor. =/

i do not know if the prop adapter that came with my Torque motor is taller than usual, but i have removed the adapter to see what's under and the end of the motor can that sticks out (where the end of the motor shaft is) is also quite tall.

in any case, i went ahead and installed because i do not want to wait for another motor. it does seem like the Hacker and the Torque have almost the exact same dimension. which leaves the prop adapter to be the culprit.
flipteg is offline Find More Posts by flipteg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
i maidened the plane earlier. it was quite windy though but i think the plane handled it quite well. it still gets pushed around but no where near as much as a 3D plane of the same size in the same wind. i think the plane is very easy to land. on final approaches and getting ready to touch down, it is very easy to read when the plane is at its threshold of flight and very near stall. and this was with a strong head wind! i can't wait to see how easy it is to land on a calmer day.

Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:30 PM
"...certainty is absurd."
Joined Jan 2007
3,628 Posts
Congrats on the first flight. It is a lovely flying airplane!

It looks like you got the motor length sorted out?

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
no, the gap is there. i just put the cowling as close to the spinner as i could without having a gap on the canopy side. i just wanted to fly the plane right now. if it really bothers me later on, i'll just get another motor or adapter and maybe re-drill the cowl or get a new one.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
i can make the motor fit but the gap will be almost 1cm between the spinner and cowl. any less, and the opening at the sides of the front of the canopy starts showing.
1cm? That is over 3/8", about 0.4".

Kevin
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:46 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipteg View Post
umm, no, nothing is wrong. my motor is bolted on with the proper adapter similar to what is pictured in the manual. it's quite hard to mess up just bolting on a motor. =/
post a picture with the cowl off
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel View Post
1cm? That is over 3/8", about 0.4".

Kevin
Now you've taken a perfectly good measurement and made a disaster of it by converting it to imperial :P
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,628 Posts
Yep, but for the US audience it is still necessary! Not to mention everyone from Miramar...

And I think there is something wrong with the 1cm estimate. The adjustment available in my cowl was much less than 10mm fore/aft, and in the photos the gap to the spinner looks reasonably small.

Kevin
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
sorry, i over estimated the gap. 1cm was when i first tried to install it. by minimizing the gap as much as possible, i got it down all the way down to 5mm. it's exactly at 5mm from cowl to spinner. any less than that, and the canopy side will start gaping.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:17 PM
R/C is a SICKNESS
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
I’m just starting to fit my motor on my Osiris and I see what you mean.

With the motor in place, with X-mount and prop adapter installed, the gap between the prop adapter and the cowl looks like it will quite large. I haven’t finaled anything yet but it looks like the prop adapter will stick out over 1/4” past the end of the cowl.

My Aspera has a Hacker 30A-12L installed and I needed to use the spacers.

How did you get it to work???

Ben….it’s installed like the pic on pg 15
Duncandiver is offline Find More Posts by Duncandiver
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:28 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
How about measuring the length of the motor including the cross mount to the prop adapter (surface the spinner/prop mount to).

Is the Omega 130g shorter than the A30-14L?
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:36 PM
R/C is a SICKNESS
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
On the Hacker 30A-12L it's 2.060" from the back of the X mount to the front of the adapter and I asume a A30-14L is the same. Omega 130?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:37 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
572 Posts
One could bolt the motor directly to the firewall without the x mount. Use the x mount for a drill template. That should help a little.
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,628 Posts
Or drill a hole for the motor through the firewall, and use the x-mount on the back of the firewall. That would move the motor back the thickness of the firewall plus the thickness of the x-mount. The Vanquish I used to have had been done like that for a longer motor.

The gap to my cowl is a bit bigger than I would have liked too, but I just assumed my Pulso motor was a bit longer.

Kevin
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
R/C is a SICKNESS
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Here’s what it looks like with a Hacker A30@ 2.060” in my Aspera and an “other” motor @ 2.060” in my Osiris. (Yes its is lined up; the picture makes it look like I'm off the end of the prop adapter but I"m not...their equal and 2.060”) The airframes are lined up too. The cowl is as far forward as you would want to go and still have "meat "for the screws.