SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:44 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
Discussion
What Is Correct Voltage For Storing Lipo Packs?

What would be the correct voltage to attain when storing 3S 11.1V 3200mAh Lipo packs? What formula is used to determine storage Lipo pack voltages?

Thank you.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Jun 30, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:47 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
Storage voltage is what you would get them from the store and what they leave the factory at: 3.7v-3.8v per cell or 11.1v-11.4v total for the 3S pack.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:59 AM
United States, KY, Owenton
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
About 70% charge capacity is normal for LiPoly and LiFePO4 (A123/K2)
Battlepack is offline Find More Posts by Battlepack
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:05 AM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
652 Posts
General rule of thumb for lipo storage is to have each cell at approx 3.85 volts per cell and store them in a cool dry location. I keep mine in the refrigerator in zip-lock type bags.

If you do a search here in this forum you will find many threads discussing lipo storage.

Don
DonA is offline Find More Posts by DonA
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:55 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
General rule of thumb for lipo storage is to have each cell at approx 3.85 volts per cell and store them in a cool dry location. I keep mine in the refrigerator in zip-lock type bags.

If you do a search here in this forum you will find many threads discussing lipo storage.

Don
Do you keep them in a "lipo-sack" whilst in the fridge.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:24 AM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
652 Posts
No, I just use the zip lock bags. The zip lock bags help prevent condensation on the lipos.

I considered using the lipo 'sacks' but thought condensation would accumulate on the inside of the 'sack'.

Don
DonA is offline Find More Posts by DonA
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:56 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Putting a room temperature anything into a ziplock bag and putting in the fridge is trapping the moisture in the bag with the battery.

You want to protect from condensation when you remove the battery from the cold fridge to the atmosphere, not protect from condensation while in the fridge.

Sounds by your statement that you are putting battery in ziplock, then putting in the fridge. That wouldn't be helping anything.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old May 21, 2012, 12:13 AM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
How about storing in the fridge in a hard plastic container? Will it keep moisture out when I take it out of the fridge and leave it inside the container for an hour?
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old May 21, 2012, 06:31 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
Air contains moisture, so ideally you want something you can squeeze all the air out of. Cling wrap?
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old May 21, 2012, 06:20 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
I think I'll stick with room temperature storage. All this trouble is not worth a few bucks for a lipo
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Putting a room temperature anything into a ziplock bag and putting in the fridge is trapping the moisture in the bag with the battery.

You want to protect from condensation when you remove the battery from the cold fridge to the atmosphere, not protect from condensation while in the fridge.

Sounds by your statement that you are putting battery in ziplock, then putting in the fridge. That wouldn't be helping anything.
So whats the correct method
FlyHighSelllow is online now Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,016 Posts
The amount of moisture in the bag will be the same whether you put it in the fridge or not. Do it after you take it out and the moisture in the bag will condense on the battery. Put it in before placing it in the fridge will cause the moisture in the bag to condense on the bags surface. Which do you think is better? The bag prevents the room air from continually providing fresh water laden air to the surface. The moisture in the bag will is a constant.

Either way is OK
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The amount of moisture in the bag will be the same whether you put it in the fridge or not. Do it after you take it out and the moisture in the bag will condense on the battery. Put it in before placing it in the fridge will cause the moisture in the bag to condense on the bags surface. Which do you think is better? The bag prevents the room air from continually providing fresh water laden air to the surface. The moisture in the bag will is a constant.

Either way is OK
haa haa ok. Too scientific. I just put them in a ziplock, sealed it up and put em in the frig at 3.75-3.8v. 32-35 deg. F.

Im going to take out what I will need for the weekend on Wed and Thurs to come up to room temp and charge Thurs and Fri.

Wish I would have done this a long time ago. I have a bunch of lipos. You know this heat is killing them. Cool is good.
FlyHighSelllow is online now Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySean View Post
Air contains moisture, so ideally you want something you can squeeze all the air out of. Cling wrap?
Seems like unlubricated Trojans would do the trick !
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:23 PM
oTc
Joined Oct 2006
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrick View Post
Seems like unlubricated Trojans would do the trick !
Yea...I can see were that would go..Wife asks, "Honey why do you have a large box of condoms?"
oTc is offline Find More Posts by oTc