HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:29 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
exactly. like I said, you aren't going to need all kinds of power to fly an airliner anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal to make it look more scale. my 757 nacelle is not quite scale, but not that far from scale either. as I said before, this is why I chose the Rolls Royce RB211, because it has a single exhaust outlet that is not only much easier to model, but also easier to hide if it's not quite scale.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:12 PM
skilful builders' admirer
Greece
Joined Dec 2010
127 Posts
I love this kind of builds where everything starts from a computer screen. Especially when there's a rhino drawing on that screen. Wish you the best of luck with it. I'll be watching.

Nikolas.
n1k0l4s is offline Find More Posts by n1k0l4s
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:16 PM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Mar 2006
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1k0l4s View Post
I love this kind of builds where everything starts from a computer screen. Especially when there's a rhino drawing on that screen. Wish you the best of luck with it. I'll be watching.

Nikolas.
Thanks Nikolas.
cetorca is offline Find More Posts by cetorca
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:20 PM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Mar 2006
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
exactly. like I said, you aren't going to need all kinds of power to fly an airliner anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal to make it look more scale. my 757 nacelle is not quite scale, but not that far from scale either. as I said before, this is why I chose the Rolls Royce RB211, because it has a single exhaust outlet that is not only much easier to model, but also easier to hide if it's not quite scale.

Rich
Luv, I choose GE since it's like the B767 that I fly. Do you have any thread on your airliners?. I would like to see how you built them. I have to many things to decide how to build that maybe any info from your experience will help.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:36 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
there is a thread for my 757, but it's nowhere near finished. I've got the fuselage guts constructed, but dropped the project due to flying season arriving. I'll get back at it once the flying season is done. there's a bunch of use on here who do airliners...........

Demondriver has several threads. B767, B707, BAC111, A300, Shorts 360, etc.
SilentHunter has a few threads and has a very nice DC9/MD80
KSmith is building a very large A380
Ben E has a few threads
M Neff (Neffwaffe on youtube) has several airliners and he seems to knock them off like they are going out of style. LOL.

we're a small fraternity, but we all seem to congregate on each others threads. LOL. there are others on here and if I've forgotten you, don't take offence. my memory is really good, just short. hahahahaha.

Rich
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:37 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
never worked on a GE powered 67. all ours were powered by P&W at Air Canada.

if you need any help or advice, just let us know. one of us will answer you. I'll bet at least one of us has ran into a problem that you will run into aswell.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 01:07 PM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Mar 2006
253 Posts
Quote:
never worked on a GE powered 67. all ours were powered by P&W at Air Canada.

if you need any help or advice, just let us know. one of us will answer you. I'll bet at least one of us has ran into a problem that you will run into aswell.
What a warm welcome into the airliners world. Thanks. I checked your B757 thread and found your landing gear design very useful. I will use it as reference for mine. I'll CNC it in 6061 aluminum.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:53 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
wish I could mill landing gear for my Jaguar. I don't have the equipment and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the price some of these machine shops charge to do work. I'll have to wait till I can afford a nice vertical mill and a lathe to do my stuff. till then, it's getting simple retracts that are totally not scale. LOL.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:32 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,326 Posts
Cetorca your 767 build is gonna be great!. . . . . subscribed!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:22 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,156 Posts
Nice subject! Specially when you fly it for food

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:24 AM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Mar 2006
253 Posts
Thanks Ben and Demondriver. The landing gear it's going to be challenging. I want to make it as much as scale as the original. The goal is to have the design ready this month.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:29 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
just do the gear as simple as it needs to be. scale tends to be on the heavy side, so simpler is always a better option. if you can make something that looks like it should, you can always add scale details afterwards. plastic, foam and wood can be your best friend when adding scale detail.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:39 AM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Mar 2006
253 Posts
Quote:
just do the gear as simple as it needs to be. scale tends to be on the heavy side, so simpler is always a better option. if you can make something that looks like it should, you can always add scale details afterwards. plastic, foam and wood can be your best friend when adding scale detail.
You are right, what I wanted to say is about the retract function. I want it to retract as the original. What I'll do is to model it just as simple lines and once the geometry is working properly, I'll start to do the shape of linkages and struts.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:28 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
oh, I gotcha. I have all the flap tracks and stuff like that if you are interested. I can post them. just let me know.

Rich
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:36 AM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Mar 2006
253 Posts
Quote:
oh, I gotcha. I have all the flap tracks and stuff like that if you are interested. I can post them. just let me know.

Rich
Sure Rich, any help is welcome.