Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittsboylogan View Post
I think I'm going to get the UM T-28 instead of the Polecat, since this will be my first 4 channel plane. People have said the T-28 is easier, But is it AS durable as the Polecat? I'm kinda scared of the thin wing, unless it is durable
The Polecat is definitely more durable, and the T-28's wing is quite flimsy.
I had a Champ, and now I'm flying a Polecat. I didn't use the T-28 like people recommended. I'm flying fine, and haven't broken anything major, but if you don't mind spending some extra money on a T-28 just as a step to make things easier, it's probably a good idea.
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:29 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
My repaired/replaced plane is in the mail and should arrive friday. Can't wait to get it back in the air. I think i will look inside to see if they changed anything... Maybe they did separate the motor/brick to avoid the cut trace if that was the issue. Will let people know. We move indoors (120'x300') on the 28th for the winter so i look forward to lots of fun with this one.
Oh man hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Was 70 degrees and 0 wind today, had lotsa fun flights! Can't wait for the report, great plane especially for the price!
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:27 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perschek View Post
Oh man hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Was 70 degrees and 0 wind today, had lotsa fun flights! Can't wait for the report, great plane especially for the price!
I did love it right up until the rudder servo failure put it in. I hope this one avoids that. I got it at my LHS so it was probably from the very first shipment and I hope things have improved which is why I want to see if anything has been modified internally
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:00 AM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fabricate a battery compartment "door" for this bad boy? I plan on flying her in my local school yard during the cold winter/snowy months. I dont want the battery totally exposed so was thinking of making a little hatch to cover the battery as she flies...anyone have any ideas?

Or...would it be better to put the battery in like a makeshift "sock" instead of having a hatch?
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Last edited by Brooklynstar23; Oct 19, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:36 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23 View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fabricate a battery compartment "door" for this bad boy? I plan on flying her in my local school yard during the cold winter/snowy months. I dont want the battery totally exposed so was thinking of making a little hatch to cover the battery as she flies...anyone have any ideas?

Or...would it be better to put the battery in like a makeshift "sock" instead of having a hatch?
a sock would work but so would a piece of tape with one end folded over so you have a pull tab or similarly an address label
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:28 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
mcx / msr battery trays work well btw. Cut it off, and it has 2 pins that you can hot glue into place
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:55 PM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
What do you guys think about this.

I take one of these "book socks"

Cut it and measure to fit the batteries I am going to use (so they fit snugly). Then sew it shut so I am able to slide the battery in and out while keeping the UM connector visible. Do you think that would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Book-.../dp/B00110JHDO
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
196 Posts
So, Is the Polecat overall better as a first 4 channel, for a guy with some simulator time ,than the T-28 because of the thicker wing? I'm going to get one soon and can't decide....
Dittsboylogan is offline Find More Posts by Dittsboylogan
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,722 Posts
Quote:
So, Is the Polecat overall better as a first 4 channel, for a guy with some simulator time ,than the T-28 because of the thicker wing? I'm going to get one soon and can't decide....
I would pick the T28 for a first 4 channel. Not as aerobatic, but easier to fly and just as tough if not tougher for taking some abuse.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:31 PM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
The polecat is a more advanced aircraft.

The T-28 is generally regarded as the best low wing trainer.

The T-28 wing may be "thinner" but it by no means fragile when speaking in terms of <2oz planes.
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:44 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
polecat is a great plane....Imo
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
196 Posts
plus I'd like to put a 3-bladed F4u corsair prop. It looks sweet with that. Thanks for the info. I basically want a um 4ch. that after this one, i can get a Mosquito. Love that guys' looks.
Dittsboylogan is offline Find More Posts by Dittsboylogan
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,722 Posts
3 blade might look sweet, but doesn't have anywhere near the performance of the two blade. Probably would not fly well at all.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:35 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
next attempt

i got my replacement Polecat back today and the first thing I did was open it to see if there were any modifications. The only difference I noticed was that now there is a number on the foam in "sharpie" near the brick in the nose. I don't know if this is a "rework" number or if it is an "inspector" number or a serial number (it's just three digits - unlikely). Has anyone else opened a replacement and seen similar things? has anyone opened a NIB one and found numbers? I looked at the thread attachments and there aren't any shown in the couple of pictures.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:23 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
i got my replacement Polecat back today and the first thing I did was open it to see if there were any modifications. The only difference I noticed was that now there is a number on the foam in "sharpie" near the brick in the nose. I don't know if this is a "rework" number or if it is an "inspector" number or a serial number (it's just three digits - unlikely). Has anyone else opened a replacement and seen similar things? has anyone opened a NIB one and found numbers? I looked at the thread attachments and there aren't any shown in the couple of pictures.
my nib one has a #13 in the same place you are talking about
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal