Cool, thanks folks!
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
Super Man's cousin! No cape!
Australia, New South Wales, Wangi Wangi
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
I flew my polecat this morning. I tried something I've never done before, hovering. I moved the CG back and hand launched it. Low and behold, it hovered. I was able to KE and do quite a few Hammerheads. I also tried a tourque roll and it went well. This thing is 3d capable if you're the right pilot.
Ultra_Spitfire is offline Find More Posts by Ultra_Spitfire
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:09 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Very windy here in the bay area, can't take a flight.....AAAARRRGH I'm having flying withdrawal symptoms.
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:05 AM
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Did you move the control rod on the bellcrank to the inner position for the ailerons? This makes things quicker in the roll department.
Going to now...
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:35 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Wow, that's great. You managed to KE before you moved to the inner hole on the bellcrank? Can't imagine how much fun you'll have once you do move it. Just be careful once you do, some of us have had our servos freeze up once moved to the inner hole on the BC. BTW...what exactly is a "Torque Roll" as opposed to a normal roll? Thanks.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:12 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
A torque roll is when you pull to a hover and the torque of the prop slowly rotates the plane while hovering.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:35 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Oh OK.....a Harrier Roll then. Thanks

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:17 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,558 Posts
I have mine programmed into my radio for sunday. Pulled the wheels off from the start. I have an SX motor waiting for it but I will fly stock at least the first day
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:24 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I have mine programmed into my radio for sunday. Pulled the wheels off from the start. I have an SX motor waiting for it but I will fly stock at least the first day
I put a SX motor in my UM Corsair and only had a few flights, maybe 6, on it when the brass motor pinion gear to nylon prop shaft gear began squealing. When I looked at it under a magnifying glass I discovered the brass pinion gear was badly worn and it was worn to the point even a new prop shaft gear would not mesh correctly. I would suspect the increased power caused the wear problem by increasing the load on the gears. The SX motor performed marginally better than the original. Since then I've installed a brushless motor using 2S batteries and have been ecstatic with the much improved performance. For now I will fly my PoleCat stock but eventually will install a brushless in it also.

Speaking of my PoleCats, I've got two, on my original bought August 18, 2011 I had to replace a locked up aileron servo ($20.00) about a month after I bought it. Today on fourth flight the rudder servo locked up causing my plane to crash. When I got it home I clipped the wire to the rudder servo on the AR6400 receiver as it had the rudder locked to the left. The plane is not worth spending $59.00 for a new receiver and I certainly would not buy a used one considering the problems with these receivers. I'm going to fly it without a rudder and in the meantime unbox PoleCat #2 hoping all the time this copy will be better electronically than the first.

Horizon Hobby has been very responsive to these issues even to the point of sending me a new PoleCat. Can't ask for much more than that and I really appreciate their great customer service.

Good luck with yours.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Sep 30, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Can you flatspin with the pole cat?
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:48 AM
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivcal View Post
Can you flatspin with the pole cat?
No, but I intend to try it.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:49 AM
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
LOL, tell me how it goes!
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:54 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,558 Posts
I flew 3 batteries through mine with some wind and wet conditions. I used the Nanotech 160mah and they flew it fine. One of the LHS has Hyperion batteries and so I will pick one up for comparison. I like the nanotechs in my 4-Site and they flew the Polecat fine.

I turned my low rates to 70% on aileron and elevator and dialed in 35% expo and it handled fine. people are right, there is very little rudder authority so i will move the rod in on the horn before the next session. I took the landing gear off from the start and it wasn't a problem bellying it into the grass. A great little plane for $99
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:02 AM
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivcal View Post
LOL, tell me how it goes!
I did it...Though it lasted about 3 maybe 4 spins.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:29 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_Spitfire View Post
I did it...Though it lasted about 3 maybe 4 spins.
upright or inverted?
RCG Plus Member