SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaulguy View Post
Regarding biplanes, I figured someone would bring that up. That Beast always raises its ugly head whenever UM discussions ensue- it just won't go away. However, The Beast isn't really a UM- it's not even a Parkzone. The UM series are even smaller, use 1 cell lipos, geared/brushed power systems, and are generally setup for more scale/backyard type flying. The Beast with its 2 cell lipo and brushless motor is targeted more toward the 3D aerobatic crowd. I'd like to see something slow and relaxing that can do mild aerobatics, maybe something like a UM SE-5, or a Stearman, Travelair, you get the idea.
But I agree with you, a jet or glider would be really sweet. I'd buy a UM Radian in a second. They won't be able to solve the power requirements for a micro EDF anytime soon I'm afraid- at least not one that will give decent flight time.
Why isn't the beast really a um? It is smaller than most other um's and will fly in just as small a space and actually smaller space than some other um's. I have not progressed enough for really fast planes, but find that the beast will slow down better than several other um's that I have and I don't ever recall flying it wide open for more than an instant. I just putter around the yard with it or at least until I got the Sbach anyway.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 03:32 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Why isn't the beast really a um? It is smaller than most other um's and will fly in just as small a space and actually smaller space than some other um's. I have not progressed enough for really fast planes, but find that the beast will slow down better than several other um's that I have and I don't ever recall flying it wide open for more than an instant. I just putter around the yard with it or at least until I got the Sbach anyway.
It has a brushless motor and is setup for aerobatics which means it needs bigger, more expensive batteries. It's also a larger scale model. I'm not how you figure its smaller than "most other UM's."

Eflite UMX Beast specs:

Wingspan: 14.7 in (374mm)
Overall Length: 15.7 in (400mm)
Wing Area: 83.8 sq in (5.40 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 2.36 oz (67g)
Motor Size: 180BL Brushless Outrunner, 2300Kv (included)

FLYZONE ALBATROSS specs: (similar in size to Parkzone UM series)
Wingspan: 14.5" (370mm)
Weight: 1.0-1.1oz (28-31g)
Length: 11.1" (280mm)
Uses single cell LiPo, geared brushed motor

Now, while I'm sure someone is going to be quick to point out the fact that that wingspan of the Albatross is close to that of the Beast, they will ultimately neglect the weight (and the wing chord which is longer on the Beast)- 67grams vs the Albatross' 31 grams. The Beast is a model of a small, stocky aircraft with short moments and wingspan, unlike the Albatross. Also consider the length. The Beast in real life would be shorter than the Albatross, yet the model is 15.7" vs the Albatross at 11.1" The Beast is small, but it's not as small/light as a Parkzone UM bipe would be.
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Last edited by bfaulguy; Jul 03, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
to me the Beast is certainly a um, just like the rest of my um's. And I do and you can use the exact same batteries in it that I use in my um t28, sukhoi, Ember, etc. I fly it in the same places, for the same reasons as my other's. Just because um's are getting better, no reason they are not um's. Maybe they are super um's. And the Sbach just raised the bar higher for me.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:45 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaulguy View Post
The Beast in real life would be shorter than the Albatross, yet the model is 15.7" vs the Albatross at 11.1" The Beast is small, but it's not as small/light as a Parkzone UM bipe would be.
The real life size of any UM is a pointless comparison - its how small the RC plane is...

The size, not weight determines whether its UM or not. But if you don't want to consider it as a UM then its your choice I suppose.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:29 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Everybody has it's own definition of a UM. For me, if it does fit in a carrying box, then it's a UM. Sure enough, the box has to be small. I almost disqualified the Extra 300 because it came out with a much larger box, but then, I caved in.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined Jul 2006
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Everybody has it's own definition of a UM. For me, if it does fit in a carrying box, then it's a UM. Sure enough, the box has to be small. I almost disqualified the Extra 300 because it came out with a much larger box, but then, I caved in.
I agree, here is a photo with the Beast and the Sukhoi and you can see the wingspan of the Beast is smaller
And yes the box of the Extra 300 is huge.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined Jun 2008
698 Posts
Also the name of the Beast and the Sbach are UMX with "UM" in the title. They most certainly are Ultra Micro planes.
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:19 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,259 Posts
How can a plane be defined weather it's um based on whether it uses brushed or brushless? Doesn't make sense.

Anyway to each their own.

I can't wait to see somerealflight videos of this thing. This might be my next micro. Love it's looks!

Happy 4th of July everybody!
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:29 AM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
What a dumb debate if there ever was one. They are tiny planes that actually fly and fly well, 10 years ago it would have never been so just enjoy it.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Jul 04, 2011, 10:58 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,024 Posts
+1

p
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
what a dumb debate if there ever was one. They are tiny planes that actually fly and fly well, 10 years ago it would have never been so just enjoy it.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:01 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
What a dumb debate if there ever was one. They are tiny planes that actually fly and fly well, 10 years ago it would have never been so just enjoy it.
Agreed interplanet. Actually after watching the video discussion of it I was a little disappointed. They didn't present any details of it being any faster or doing anything diffent at all. Basically the same as the other micro's just in diffent skin. Might just hold off until I destroy one of my other micro's and then just buy the airframe pieces to builds this up, since I do love the looks.

I have to say all of these micro's have completely changed the flying world. There's nothing greater than going out in the front yard and flying.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:17 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
There's nothing greater than going out in the front yard and flying.
Sure there is...front yard and back yard flying!

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:04 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Agreed interplanet. Actually after watching the video discussion of it I was a little disappointed. They didn't present any details of it being any faster or doing anything diffent at all. Basically the same as the other micro's just in diffent skin. Might just hold off until I destroy one of my other micro's and then just buy the airframe pieces to builds this up, since I do love the looks.

I have to say all of these micro's have completely changed the flying world. There's nothing greater than going out in the front yard and flying.
Yeah in the video they said it flies like a parkzone micro warbird but in a different skin. Going for the Sbach .
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:17 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Yeah in the video they said it flies like a parkzone micro warbird but in a different skin. Going for the Sbach .
I find that odd, given the warbirds have undercamberd wings, and the cat has symmetrical.
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:39 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Yeah that threw me off to. BTW, you will not be disappointed in the sbach. What a wonderful plane it is!!!
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay