Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:13 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Yes. Why do you ask?

-B
I was beginning to suspect that that was an unusually low flight time. I notice with both my micro Yak, Nine Eagles Solo Pro, and Sukhoi XP that 6min flight time discharges my 138mAh Turnigy's, 150mAh eFlites, and 160mAh Nano-Techs all down to 3.75-3.8V very consistently--in other words, normal performance.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:22 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Man, I don't pay attention as much as I should as far as how much mah I'm putting back into the batteries when charging or checking their level when I get home but if I had to guess I would say your numbers sound pretty close to mine but I think mine are just slightly higher, but not by a lot. Mine are also brand new batteries though too. I also am not flying at WOT for the majority of my flights. I try to, well, not baby my batteries, but definitely not harsh em' out. I fly at about 1/2 throttle most of the time and punch it here and there depending on whatever maneuver I'm doing.They sure last a lot longer that way. Not sure if any of this answered your question or not.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Considering you fly almost exactly the same way I do in terms of throttle usage, yep, you did
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:42 PM
Norge
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
I finally got my Pole Cat today, after flying all summer with my first plane, the UM T-28. This is a very different plane

First impressions: An ever so slight negative dihedral. The wings are actually bent very slightly downwards. Is this normal? (It's insanely stable inverted).
Rudder servo is extremely smooth. Aileron servo is really noisy. Elevator however is not smooth at all. it moves in increments when stick is moved slowly. The linkage seems to be sticking/binding on the foam. I think I might have to open up the passage. Will it be best to open the plane for this?
BTW, I limited servo travel to 96% to be safe, after reading this thread.

Flying impressions: I placed it in a parking lot with light poles, and did a nice rolling takeoff. The wheels aren't as capable as the T-28. It would just lift it's tail and stay put at a quarter throttle. Full up elevator is absolutely required to get rolling, but once you get a little speed it's not an issue anymore. It's a lot faster and more powerful than my T-28. It does slow down okay, but I don't think I can fly it in 30x30 feet, which I can with the T-28.
Rudder authority? Pretty much none, stock. I couldn't do hammerheads at all. It would just hover for a little while and then fall over.
I started out with 70% throw, at 15% expo. It made me survive the first seconds of terror, while adapting my fingers. However, I found the ailerons to be way too calm around neutral, to the point of being harder to fly, so I popped them over to 100% throw, and I think I'll clear the expo as well.
It does half cuban eights, split s, tight loops, and very large loops without problems. Inverted flight was just a pure pleasure, and outside loops was no effort at all. My T-28 just can't cope with large relaxed loops du to lack of power or too much drag or something, and it won't really climb during inverted flight, so the Pole Cat seems like a perfect step up for me.

Low voltage handling was a surprise. T-28 has a really slow pulsating throttle LV warning, which is easily noticeable, before it cuts out. The Pole Cat just sounds like a tiny kitten trying to growl for a few seconds before it cuts throttle. Fortunaly, gliding landings from inverted 3-4 meters up was no problem.

Sorry about the wall of text. I'm just excited
Wombii is offline Find More Posts by Wombii
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:20 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Don't mind the "wall of text" at all! This thread has slowed down to a crawl and it's a pleasure to see some new posts. I think the UM Beast being dropped down to $99.00 really kind of stole the Pole Cat's thunder.

Glad to hear you like it. It's my favorite UM. It does everything I wanted in a Micro without getting to crazy. The Sukhoi was just a bit to much for me but I might even be able to handle it with more Expo dialed in now that I'm used to the PC. Everything you described sounds about right as far as the various servos etc. However...I'm finding that each one of these Pole Cats (from what different people have posted) have their own personal characteristics or even flaws if you will from plane to plane. if you read any of my posts you saw that I had an absolute dog from the git go. Actually it flew fine on the 1st battery or two but right after that any one of the 3 servos would act up periodically and then finally total lock ups.

The new "replacement" plane that I flew this morning was a whole different story though. So far it's flying beautifully with 0 glitches. On my 1st one my rudder was pretty weal as well but I was still able to do hammer Heads no problem. On the new one this morning the Hammer Heads definitely had more authority. As a matter of fact I was having fun playing around with something I have never done before. I was flying complete ovals with rudder only to turn it. I was told as I move up to "full size" 3D planes that part of learning harriers and harrier rolls was having to learn to fly inverted and be able to turn with just your rudder. Anyway....doesn't matter. my point is that this particular PC has plenty of rudder authority. Similar to you I have also limited ALL my throws on all surfaces to 95%. Just want to try and keep any of the servos from traveling completely to their full end travel.

Phew! There ya go...another wall of text just to make ya feel better. LOL

-B
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
I think the UM Beast being dropped down to $99.00 really kind of stole the Pole Cat's thunder.
How did I miss that?!
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:21 AM
Joined Aug 2008
146 Posts
Flies nice...

Ya just got mine. Flies like a champ. Way better than my original Sukhoi 26M. More power especially with those nano techs..
Lowezz is offline Find More Posts by Lowezz
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:43 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowezz View Post
Ya just got mine. Flies like a champ. Way better than my original Sukhoi 26M. More power especially with those nano techs..
Glad to hear it. She is a sweet little thang isn't she. Yes, I'd say just about ANY battery is better than the stock ones. Wait til ya try a Hyperion or Miniaviation.

-B
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'd say just about ANY battery is better than the stock ones.
Funny...for the flying I do (aerobatics and passes at 60-70% throttle), I really can't tell the difference between the stock 150 and my 160 nano-techs.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
146 Posts
Under full throttle I can feel the diff between the nanos and eflite packs. Cruising around they feel no different IMO...
Lowezz is offline Find More Posts by Lowezz
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:38 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
I would pretty much agree with both of your guys statements for the most part. But I notice that with the stock battery I rarely reach the 6 min. mark. It usually poops out before then AND it doesn't take quite as much of a charge (usually only up to 4.0 or a bit higher) as my Hyperions or Miniaviations which charge to about 4.15 to 4.17. The biggest to me though is the strength of the battery, the umph, throughout my flights no matter how hard/fast I fly with the Hyperions or MA's. With the stock battery I feel it sag pretty fast (within a couple minutes max) when flying at anything above 50% throttle. But, that's just my experience and opinion.

-B
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
With the stock battery I feel it sag pretty fast (within a couple minutes max) when flying at anything above 50% throttle. But, that's just my experience and opinion.
The research has born out your feelings. I just can't really feel the difference at this point in my flying "career".
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,726 Posts
Quote:
I would pretty much agree with both of your guys statements for the most part. But I notice that with the stock battery I rarely reach the 6 min. mark. It usually poops out before then AND it doesn't take quite as much of a charge (usually only up to 4.0 or a bit higher) as my Hyperions or Miniaviations which charge to about 4.15 to 4.17. The biggest to me though is the strength of the battery, the umph, throughout my flights no matter how hard/fast I fly with the Hyperions or MA's. With the stock battery I feel it sag pretty fast (within a couple minutes max) when flying at anything above 50% throttle. But, that's just my experience and opinion.

-B
If your stock battery will not charge past 4v, it's shot, bad or whatever else you need to call it. I have not had good luck with e-flight 1 cell batteries at all, but when new they will charge up to 4.17 or better and work just fine for me. I seldom get my pole cat past 2/3 throttle, so I am fine with most batteries. I use what I can get at lhs and no one around here carries the hyperion or minivation. We usually run either thunder power or trunigy and they work fine.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:29 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,116 Posts
hey all you Pole Cat pilots.... knife edges... how does she KE for you all?

I guess I suck at it more than I thought I did ... meaning, the UMX Beast KE's almost telepathically for me... as does the Sukhoi XP... not so much (for me) with the PC.

-HD
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:26 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,116 Posts
OK, well, right after that last post I decided to give er another try... this time I adjusted the throws to max on the control horn for the rudder (inner most hole) and on hi-rates I bumped it from 90% to 100% and flew 3 bats.

why not... right? well, because of the numerous servo lock ups I have had on my other PC which pretty much has made mincemeat outta it with all the crashes it's caused I didn't dare put the range of movement more than 90%... I really feel cheated in that we (OK, most of us) can't comfortably fly the PC on max throws and 100% rates like its designed to fly w/o running the risk of servo lock up and baddo-BOOM!

I know, I know... there's a few of you that will say this has never happened to you ... yet ... it just seems there's more of us out here that is has, so if if it hasn't happened to you, consider yourself fortunate

anyways, it made a LOT of difference! I'm still working on my technique so I am only able to hold it in position for 2-3 seconds ... whereas before it wouldnt even do that... so maybe as my skill improves the KE on the ol PC will too

-HD
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy