HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:46 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I have read over in the Beast thread about some servo issues.
What some have suggested is...before you even fly the plane....put a battery in it and set the plane down on the table,maybe while your watching TV.
Work the servos,elevator,aileron and rudder.
Work them back and forth...move them slow..hold them at certain times to replicate how they might be held while flying.
Do this for a whole battery or till you feel that you have operated the servos long enough to see if they would fail.

By doing that you might find a bad servo.
Now when you call HH you can tell them the servo failed before you even flew the plane.

Ridgewalker

Excellent Idea and exactly what I'm doing BEFORE I fly the replacement plane Horizon sent me!

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:11 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
755 Posts
Mine seem to only acts up nearing LVC. I have to get some of the Hyperion batteries and test it. I took the cover off and air blasted the servo and hit it with a light silicone spray. Hasn't frozen since the first time. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I have read over in the Beast thread about some servo issues.
What some have suggested is...before you even fly the plane....put a battery in it and set the plane down on the table,maybe while your watching TV.
Work the servos,elevator,aileron and rudder.
Work them back and forth...move them slow..hold them at certain times to replicate how they might be held while flying.
Do this for a whole battery or till you feel that you have operated the servos long enough to see if they would fail.

By doing that you might find a bad servo.
Now when you call HH you can tell them the servo failed before you even flew the plane.

Ridgewalker
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:55 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,489 Posts
Flew the Pole Cat today with my first set of 6 Hyperion 160's.
I must say they are the best 1s I've ever used. They made the Cat fly a bit faster and held their power much longer. My timer is set for 6 min of mostly WOT and it works out perfectly for me and good battery safe discharge.
I also land / plop on grass and still have the original wheel pants in near perfect condition because before I used the plane I removed the pants and placed tape on both sides and trimmed the excess. Sure there is a wrinkle or crease but they never broke or took on a deformed shape. Tape your panties and they'll never fall down... LOL
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:41 AM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Just recieved my Polcat today after having the faulty aileron servo replaced. Tested her out for around 2 mins at home with no issues, got down to the park and about 30 seconds in we have the same issue. Servo locked up. I re-bound to a new spot on the dx6i and still not working.

Spoke to modelflight here in Oz, and they will replace the whole plane. Fingers crossed this one will be fine............... The weeks wait will kill me though!!
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:52 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooni79 View Post
Just recieved my Polcat today after having the faulty aileron servo replaced. Tested her out for around 2 mins at home with no issues, got down to the park and about 30 seconds in we have the same issue. Servo locked up. I re-bound to a new spot on the dx6i and still not working.

Spoke to modelflight here in Oz, and they will replace the whole plane. Fingers crossed this one will be fine............... The weeks wait will kill me though!!
Sorry to hear that. I'm certainly no expert in this area but your example, similar to mine, with having a supposed "new" aileron servo still having issues makes me wonder if the problems some of us are having is on/with the brick itself? I've done the same thing with the newly replaced Cat that I got from Horizon as far as testing it at home for about 6 min.'s moving the sticks all around and so far have had no lock ups. But....I have not yet had a chance to actually fly it and I think that's where a problem, if any, will show up. I'm hoping to get her into the air in the next couple days so we'll see.

-B
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:37 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm certainly no expert in this area but your example, similar to mine, with having a supposed "new" aileron servo still having issues makes me wonder if the problems some of us are having is on/with the brick itself? I've done the same thing with the newly replaced Cat that I got from Horizon as far as testing it at home for about 6 min.'s moving the sticks all around and so far have had no lock ups. But....I have not yet had a chance to actually fly it and I think that's where a problem, if any, will show up. I'm hoping to get her into the air in the next couple days so we'll see.

-B
if it really is a LVC issue with the brick starving before cutoff you won't see it simply twiddling the sticks, you will need the motor running to maximize the drain. It might be something where as the servo gets dirty the draw ramps up and the built in ESC can't supply the load needed. This could be where the spray silicon could help
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:12 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
if it really is a LVC issue with the brick starving before cutoff you won't see it simply twiddling the sticks, you will need the motor running to maximize the drain. It might be something where as the servo gets dirty the draw ramps up and the built in ESC can't supply the load needed. This could be where the spray silicon could help
Hmmm...makes sense. Good idea with the Silicone. I'll have to give that a try. Is there a particular type/brand to use, or more importantly not to use? I use some at work for my work surface. All I know about it is that it's in a green can and is specified as "food grade". I've been told I have to use that for what ever reason on my metal cutting surface, even though I have nothing to do with food at my work place. Thanks.

-B

Edit: Aaah, found the can. Like I say, it's green, the brand is CRC, and it just says Industrial-Food Grade Silicone. Here's a link to the exact stuff: http://www.csnstores.com/CRC-Food-Gr...d=FR49-OEB1189

-B
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:52 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
How about this brand?

Hey, I just found a can of this exact stuff at work as well: http://www.katerno.com/detail.php?s=79759 Would that be safe to use? If so, are we just talking about a short spurt right in/on the servo track itself where the plastic armature travels back and forth? Thanks

-B
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,060 Posts
it's your plane and your money, but I would suggest if you spray anything in the servos to be careful and cautious. Most lubricants can affect the contact integrity of low voltage contacts. And they can contribute to collection of dust also.

There is an excellent product specifically designed to clean electrical contacts called deoxIT - available at most electronics and electrical supply concerns. Radio Shack is usually an easy one to find. I have rescued failed servos on my polecat with this and all seems fine so far. You spray a bit in and work the servo back and forth as long as you can stand it. Then you might have to give another small squirt and let set for 1/2 hour or so then work the daylights out of it again. This is the only thing I would even think about spraying in my servos and I had to think long and hard before doing this.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:23 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
it's your plane and your money, but I would suggest if you spray anything in the servos to be careful and cautious. Most lubricants can affect the contact integrity of low voltage contacts. And they can contribute to collection of dust also.

There is an excellent product specifically designed to clean electrical contacts called deoxIT - available at most electronics and electrical supply concerns. Radio Shack is usually an easy one to find. I have rescued failed servos on my polecat with this and all seems fine so far. You spray a bit in and work the servo back and forth as long as you can stand it. Then you might have to give another small squirt and let set for 1/2 hour or so then work the daylights out of it again. This is the only thing I would even think about spraying in my servos and I had to think long and hard before doing this.
Ok. Advice noted and heeded. Thanks

-B
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:12 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
It's so small... I love it...

I cannot believe how small this one seems compared to my "Beast"... This plane has some wicked lines to it, I hope it's as fast as the Sukhoi XP...

Cannot wait to fly this one...

Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:17 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
it just as fast

it aint no Beast though
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:10 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
A keeper!!?

Well, I'm happy to report that I finally took my new replacement pole Cat from Horizon out of it's box and put it through it's paces this morning. 1st I started by just fiddling with all the controls last night while I was watching TV. Just set my timer for 6 min.'s and kept workin' everything. No glitches. Then this morning while it was dead calm out I flew 5 brand spankin' new Miniaviation batt's through her. I love the batteries BTW seem to be just about as good if not the same as my Hyperion's. Those are the only two brands I will ever fly now in my UM's.

Anyway....I flew in Hi rates, Lo rates, did rolls, loops, barrel rolls, and even flew inverted for a bit just trying to make sure all the controls and surfaces wre getting a good work out. I flew each battery for 6 solid minutes of pretty much non stop aerobatic flights and am happy to report (knock on wood!) that I didn't have one glitch or lock up. So I'm hoping that this one is a good one! BTW...it balanced out perfectly with the Miniaviation 190's and didn't need one stinkin' click on any of the trims. She was a thing of beauty. Thanks Horizon!

-B
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:57 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,672 Posts
You normally do 6min on your 1S planes?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:06 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008