Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:20 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Well, sad to say that Pole Cat #1 is now basically toast. After not one but two more crashes (now a total of about 5-6) from a servo failure and then plane going totally dead in mid flight the other night I CA'd her back together and took her out this morning to see how she'd do. I did a pre-flight check and ailerons and rudder were moving fine. Mind you, at this point I have disabled a the totally faulty rudder servo by clipping one of the wires, and gave her a toss. She took off nice and level and then i gave a little up elevator to climg out and she just nose dived straight into good ol' Terra Firma. Tup, no elevator response. So anyway....guess it's time to pull out the replacement Cat that Horizon sent me a few weeks ago and see what all is faulty on it. How are the rest of you Pole Cat owners fairing?

-B
Also had a rudder servo fail. Horizon didn't want to do anything since I flew it. They sent me parts for a servo though. Now my micro stryker has a dead servo on it. I replaced the servo guts but it still doesn't work right.

Two micros 12 flights together and two dead servo one busted plane.
rx7weee is offline Find More Posts by rx7weee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,279 Posts
My Pole Cat has been flawless as with all my other UM's. I'm just amazed and disappointed to hear about all these failures. These UM's have always been one of the most durable and reliable planes I've owned. Although I did have a 1 minute flight and crash on a UM T-28 due to a stuck down elevator servo, HH replaced the complete plane as it was only 1 day old. Other than the 1 incident they made good for and hundreds and hundreds of combined flights on all of my UM models all is well. (so far)
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:31 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Ya, I think my brother would agree with you in that he currently owns 4-5 PZ UM's and has literally 100's of flights between them all and is quite happy with all of them. That is until we both got the Pole Cat. He's has the same basic problems I am. I'm a bit dissapointed by the response that RX7weee got from Horizon though. I mean....because you flew it!?? Why not? How are we supposed to very that it's not a one time occurrence if we don't try a few times to verify? And what if the plane is totaled after the 1st crash due to a bad servo or brick? Are they going to say no because the plane is now damaged? Uh, duh...it's totaled because of your bad servo/brick! The thing is, to me, it's kind of ridiculous to replace a plane with another "possible" bad one. Meaning, why don't they do a bit more extensive testing on them before they send a replacement out? The problem is that like when mine 1st started acting up it only did it sporadically so if they just work the servos a few times and fire up the motor once they'd say, yep, good to go, but that wouldn't really prove that's it no-deffective. I guess you can't really expect them to bench test it for a week before shipping out either, so then what? And just sending a replacement servo won't do anything if the problem is a bad brick which is very hard to determine without the proper electronic gear and knowledge. So at this point I'm just really frustrated and at a loss for what to do next. The biggest disappointment is that I really love this plane and just want a properly working one. It does exactly what I want it to do without being to much to handle. If I didn't like it overall it might be easier to just let go and move on, but then there's the issue of $100.00 down the drain. HH has my good money and all I have is a faulty smashed up plane to show for it. Ok...rant is over...

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:23 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
I feel you! It does suck. I told the guy I only flew it like six times then it failed. He responded by telling me that there is no way to know if I flew it once or fifty times. I told him there is no way I flew it that many times in a week....

I really hope they do something about my stryker. I'll be very upset if nothing gets done like the pole cat.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:40 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7weee View Post
I feel you! It does suck. I told the guy I only flew it like six times then it failed. He responded by telling me that there is no way to know if I flew it once or fifty times. I told him there is no way I flew it that many times in a week....

I really hope they do something about my stryker. I'll be very upset if nothing gets done like the pole cat.
Your Stryker!? You mean the new UM Stryker? Don't tell me they are having servo issues as well!? Good grief.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:04 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Your Stryker!? You mean the new UM Stryker? Don't tell me they are having servo issues as well!? Good grief.

-B
Yup the new um stryker. I got like six flights on it before the elevon servo started to randomly stop working
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:37 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Bad batch of servo's or bricks?
So much for their motto of "just fly"
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:37 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,090 Posts
I am a bit surprised and little disappointed that we havent seen any posts from our friends at HH to update us on anything they are working on regarding what is obviously a hardware issue.... realizing its probably not in their official job description or requirements to chime in on these threads, but the planes I have watched on RCG as they roll the latest birds out there's usually an occasional update post keeping us appraised of production issues, delivery dates, fixes etc

the Pole Cat has been out for just about a month now... not sure I've seen any posts from HH

-HD
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:15 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,448 Posts
Irene is here tomorrow... how much wind can they handle?
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:56 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
My polekitty still running good as day one got about thirty flights on it
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:51 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Can I use an parkzone/eflite/hobbyzone stock ultra micro transmitter with the Polecat??
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:19 AM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivcal View Post
Can I use an parkzone/eflite/hobbyzone stock ultra micro transmitter with the Polecat??
Yep!!

Just got word from modelflight here in Oz, and they have replaced my faulty aileron servo.
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:52 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivcal View Post
It will bind, but it will be a lot easier to fly with a better TX.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:48 PM
United States, CT
Joined Jan 2011
33 Posts
i just picked up a Polecat today. I flew through 5 batteries with no issues and the plane flew beautifully. well.. there was one small issue, but that was pilot error...an unintended "landing" event.

i was hand launching at the field near my house over tall grass. i should have taken the landing gear off first but due to my impatient nature with new "toys" i did the pre-flight and tossed it. i snapped one of the foam pieces on the landing gear the first time i touched down. no big deal, it's already fixed. after that the gear was off and i was back up.

this thing is everything i wanted in a UM. it's fast enough to keep a grin on my face, it rolls and loops with ease and it's handling is very predictable. well worth the $99.00 i spent.

i am a bit nervous though after reading these last few posts about all of the servo issues. i hope they got that sorted out in the latest batch...

happy flying everyone.

kgb
NitroBobby is offline Find More Posts by NitroBobby
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:05 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
I have read over in the Beast thread about some servo issues.
What some have suggested is...before you even fly the plane....put a battery in it and set the plane down on the table,maybe while your watching TV.
Work the servos,elevator,aileron and rudder.
Work them back and forth...move them slow..hold them at certain times to replicate how they might be held while flying.
Do this for a whole battery or till you feel that you have operated the servos long enough to see if they would fail.

By doing that you might find a bad servo.
Now when you call HH you can tell them the servo failed before you even flew the plane.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker