HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Before a beginner goes to a flat wing plane, he should fly a high wing that self rights, like a Champ, then move on to a low wing, that self rights less, like a T-28, before attempting a non self righting plane.
I must be a natural. The first plane I ever flew was the "full size" PZ T-28, then a 38" DW Yak-54. I've since included a UMX-type Yak-55, Common Sense Yak-54 and SU-26XP.

Of course, I've crashed everyone of them except the CS Yak at least once

There is something to be said for a good flight sim. I spent a lot of time in on RealFlight!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
I must be a natural. The first plane I ever flew was the "full size" PZ T-28, then a 38" DW Yak-54. I've since included a UMX-type Yak-55, Common Sense Yak-54 and SU-26XP.

Of course, I've crashed everyone of them except the CS Yak at least once

There is something to be said for a good flight sim. I spent a lot of time in on RealFlight!
I was making the assumption that no simulators were involved. Those have pretty much changed the landscape for flight training and flying a simulator can be harder than flying the real thing.

Once you develop the muscle memory to pull the plane out different attitudes/situations, then flying a flat wing plane becomes easy, but getting to that point might take a lot of glue, if you try to go straight there.

When I fly a sukhoi, I want it to do something and my hands do the rest. I want a knife edge and my hands go into knife edge position and make the course corrections necessary to hold knife edge flight. I don't think "more rudder, a little down elevator, right aileron".. I just think "knife edge". The simulator helps tremendously getting this down, because crashes only take a couple seconds to fix.

If someone can fly a 3D plane on real flight up and down the runway, inverted and land on the runway and have a computer radio, the polecat should be easy for them to fly.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
If someone can fly a 3D plane on real flight up and down the runway, inverted and land on the runway and have a computer radio, the polecat should be easy for them to fly.
Agreed
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:30 PM
burn the envelope dont push it
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Got one yesterday. CG balanced near perfect out of the box. Can't wait to maiden her, but the Oklahoma winds are sweeping down the plain right now.
pkznpilot is offline Find More Posts by pkznpilot
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
754 Posts
Winds died to near zero in the late afternoon so I got my Pole Cat in the air for the first time. Fly's great! Only issue was climbing at speed. I got that under control by moving the battery forward and I also ended up adding expo to the ailerons as I was a little wild at first. Aileron Expo and the moving the battery gave way to five flawless flight. Now I have a Trojan for sale because I can't go back!

Plane seems to lack in the vertical running 160mah Turnigy's. Any idea's for more power?
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Last edited by divemasterphil; Aug 23, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:36 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
yes..... Hyperions .... I fly 160's myself... if you bought 3 and flew them you'd have only one desire afterwards.....that ya had 3 more

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemasterphil View Post
Any idea's for more power?
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
I should buy a couple Hyperions to try out. 160 Nanotechs do well enough for me for now, though. Paying almost 10x as much per battery just doesn't do it for me.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:38 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Miniaviation's 190mah. About $7 each delivered. Work great in my T-28 and Beast, should do well in the 'cat.

http://miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:21 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Feb 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
I should buy a couple Hyperions to try out. 160 Nanotechs do well enough for me for now, though. Paying almost 10x as much per battery just doesn't do it for me.
Ditto. You can't beath $2/battery shipped to your door.

+1 for Nanotechs
joshuajcrouch is online now Find More Posts by joshuajcrouch
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
If I was getting started in r/c all over again (I'm old so I learned on balsa nitro trainer ) I'd get a Champ, then t-28 or polecat and then Beast. I know Beast is "touchy and fast" but on low rates and high expo is lots of fun !! It truely believe it is a great time to get started in r/c and some of the planes avalible today are things of my childhood dreams !

Nick
p.s. MY micro "hanger" not incluing mCPX heli that I love for flying in my back yard
nickimde is offline Find More Posts by nickimde
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
my cat lost bind for the second time today and speared into the pavement, no damage other than some scuffs on the nose (my vinyl sharks teeth saved it from ripping off more foam) though the spinner has been missing since the first time it did this which was in the grass.

i think ill be giving horizon a call, i like my polecat alot but i cant be having it not obey...
fwa2500 is offline Find More Posts by fwa2500
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
USA, CO, Pueblo
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwa2500 View Post
my cat lost bind for the second time today and speared into the pavement, no damage other than some scuffs on the nose (my vinyl sharks teeth saved it from ripping off more foam) though the spinner has been missing since the first time it did this which was in the grass.

i think ill be giving horizon a call, i like my polecat alot but i cant be having it not obey...
I think something similar happened to mine, I lost all responsiveness and it went down never to be found again.
tonebone is offline Find More Posts by tonebone
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:12 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
yep, I've heard/read good things about the Miniaviations and recently my brother ordered up some of them and I ordered up some 160 Nanotechs and we're gonna compare notes...

my guess is the Hyperions will be best, the MA's will come in a close 2nd, and the Nanos last, performance wise... and all things considered, the MA's may win out over all based on cost etc... I guess we'll see soon enough

-HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Miniaviation's 190mah. About $7 each delivered. Work great in my T-28 and Beast, should do well in the 'cat.

http://miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:19 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
yup, same thing happened to me not once but twice yesterday. After the 1st crash I took it home and CA's er' back together. Pretty substantial damage in 4 different places. But, up she went and actually flew pretty good. But 2 batteries later it did the same thing i minute into a fresh battery.......no signal whatsoever. Bam, straigh6 into terra Firma. She's pretty much totaled now. So loss of signal (more than once) and periodic frozen up aileron and rudder servos. Actually, I had to disable the rudder servo because it was doing the thing where when engaged it would zip all the way to the end of the track and then sloooowly creep back, not to center, oh no, but aaaaall the way to the opposite of it's travel. I figured I don't need the rudder for flying and since it was making such a God awful noise once it got to the end of it's travel that I just cut the wires. Anyway....I'm really dissapointed in the QC on the Pole Cat. I love this plane and I really like Horizon but it appears (to me) they have a bad batch of planes on their hands. More to the point I think the Bricks are what are bad.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
luckilly mine has been proving to be one tough bird. both times it happened it was with wings level and about 45˚ nose-down....could have been much worse...ill call horizon in the morning and see what they can do
fwa2500 is offline Find More Posts by fwa2500