HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:37 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,212 Posts
OK... so I wanna know who will be the first to repaint their Pole Cat?

I know the Red Bull Edge 540 is not exactly the Pole Cat airframe, but the lines are similar, yes? it's kinda close

HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Aug 13, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
i havent repainted mine, but i have added sharks teeth to match my T-28 (though i think im going to change the eyes). still waiting on my new spinners, the stock one is rather chewed up after nosing over on landing a couple times....

that Red Bull livery would look quite good on it, even if its a different aircraft. much like the old Martini and Rothmans liveries on race cars, the Red Bull colours seem to work well on pretty much anything
fwa2500 is offline Find More Posts by fwa2500
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
I'd like to see the falken livery applied to an airplane... I know it makes no sense but I love that design
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:11 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,212 Posts
great idea on the nose art decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwa2500 View Post
i havent repainted mine, but i have added sharks teeth to match my T-28 (though i think im going to change the eyes). still waiting on my new spinners, the stock one is rather chewed up after nosing over on landing a couple times....

that Red Bull livery would look quite good on it, even if its a different aircraft. much like the old Martini and Rothmans liveries on race cars, the Red Bull colours seem to work well on pretty much anything
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:13 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,212 Posts
falken livery?

I Googled it and only see cars... is that what ya meant by "makes no sense"? (I s'pose so)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apothecarion View Post
I'd like to see the falken livery applied to an airplane... I know it makes no sense but I love that design
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Aug 13, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:33 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Got in a few more flights on mine today. Pretty fun little plane

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:34 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
true true true
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:07 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
FWA2500-How did you do the shark's teeth?
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
they are vinyl decals i bought off ebay (maybe a wee bit overpriced, but oh well) here. i like how they turned out, the largest ones on the sheet work perfectly on the T-28 and the next size down are what i used on the pole cat, obviously trimming as needed.
fwa2500 is offline Find More Posts by fwa2500
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:38 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I'm kind of disappointed in the Polecat.

There are a lot of other planes HH could have built that would have more appeal.

They could have just put a solid wing on a "Reno" painted UM mustang (with a modded upper fuselage) and they would have plane with more appeal AND could be sold as a spec "pylon racer".

Only a handful of people go to reno to see planes like the polecat race. They want to see Bearcats and Mustangs, etc.

A little to niche for me.
but there are some of us that just don't like the Mustang/warbird outlines. I can remember flying cheek cowled pylon 40 years ago and this brings it full circle for me. I got mine yesterday and haven't unboxed it yet.

I also agree that there are those of us that want to fly with the single cells and not upgrade to the Beast/S-bach power system/batteries. it's all personal taste. I love my UM 4-Site also and it has reminded me I have a left hand. I don't get into "buy them all" mode and this was one I felt I had to have
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:00 AM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I'm kind of disappointed in the Polecat.

There are a lot of other planes HH could have built that would have more appeal.

They could have just put a solid wing on a "Reno" painted UM mustang (with a modded upper fuselage) and they would have plane with more appeal AND could be sold as a spec "pylon racer".

Only a handful of people go to reno to see planes like the polecat race. They want to see Bearcats and Mustangs, etc.

A little to niche for me.
we all have opinions sorry you don't like the Cat......I sure like mine though
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MJF; Aug 14, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:28 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apothecarion View Post
yeah I didn't know you had flown all those other um's... If you think you can do it more power to you... I have trouble keeping my corsair from looking like a seagull going after fish, so if you fly that then hell, you'll prolly be fine... I just know that I personally would be very mad if I flew a plane that crashed on it's maiden and I had something to scrub it up to rather than just my poor skills as a pilot... it's just me.
Back when I learned to fly, i was the first in the area with an R/C plane. I learned with a trainer and the crash and repair school. Took me 2 years and my second plane was a lot lighter without the repair glue. I am still amazed at the guys back then that flew helicopters not only without mixing and pitch curves, but without GYROS. All the bells and whistles make the plane easier to fly but to some extent, the transmitter is doing some portion of the flying for you. The standard disclaimer on here should be "Your mileage may vary". if it is a tradeoff between flying a new plane with an older transmitter or flying an old plane with a new transmitter, I'd go with spending the precious money on the plane (and maybe some batteries). There is something to be said for a transmitter with all the bells and whistles (I'm happily flying a JR8103) but at some point it's just a matter of getting out there, flying the hell out of what you've got, and learning how it all plays together. it's sad enough that everyone buys ARFs (BNFs they are called now) and doesn't have the pleasure of seeing a scratch built creation soar

Jim
Your mileage may vary
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:13 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
EXCELLENT service to your customers is shipping working products in the first place. Why doesn't anybody understand this concept?

If these were isolated incidents, it would be fine. But it seems like so many of their products now are having launch issues (the most egregious offender to date being the DX8, but that's another issue). Horizon seems to be letting it's customers sort through the bad bits. The attitude boils down to "launch now, ask forgiveness later."
Sometimes you need to get a bunch of time in to sort out the MTBF on components. If they are the same parts being used successfully in their other birds, it's not a "sorting out" issue. If you are building a new plane out of existing proven components, it shouldn't be a huge worry. nobody is complaining about the slick new foam finish. but seriously, there is only so much testing that is going to get done on 10 prototypes before you have to launch a product. They have been great to the people that have reported problems here, sending out planes with no proof (returned plane) it wasn't a dumb thumb issue. The reported "container exposure to salty air" issue listed earlier is going to bite people that fly it in that environment over time. Can't help there being issues when you are building really tiny stuff like this. I had issues on my 4-Site servos and it was accumulated crap in the gear i had to see with a magnifier. When the tolerances conflict on the components, some things bind where other's wear in. They are making things right from what we have read in here

edit: The DX8 is a new design issue. Above mostly relates to the AS2000l problems and the AR6400 bricks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by coreman; Aug 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added DX8 comment
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:07 AM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Joined the Polecat team today!! My 3rd bird after the UM J-3 & UM T-28. Will probably only get to maiden her on Wednesday though. Can't wait!!

Do you recommend taping the wings at all?
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
nope .....not me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane