SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
what tx are you using?

where are you flying?

if you can remember where exactly were your sticks when this happened?
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apothecarion View Post
what tx are you using?

where are you flying?

if you can remember where exactly were your sticks when this happened?
Dx6i open field well away from interference short of some standard hydro lines in the area, flying with 3 other guys none experienced any issues including the other dx6i owner.

Were this the first time I would not be able to tell u the sticks but seeing as how this is 3 times now I can tell u exactly first occurrence today was flying flat 3/4 throttle maybe 20 ft away 12 ft up start to bank to the right side and she nose dives (think wrong rudder during KE)

Second time in a slight dive roll right with up elevator to climb out and she does the exact same thing full rudder (believe me I did not put any in) she dives nose in. Same as the last plane that horizon has already replaced I now have full servo lock with the inability to center it will only travel from one extreme to another and will not center I will post video soon to show what I mean
00nothing is offline Find More Posts by 00nothing
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:11 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,219 Posts
00nothing, sorry to hear of your frustration... from what have personally seen first hand now on 2 brand new Pole Cats, both my brothers and mine, and from what you've described, I think you (and us) have experienced an issue with the AR6400L (?) brick locking up in our planes... both servos on the brick as well as the aileron servos... at first I was suspicious of just the aileron servos (AS2000L) but i think its more along the lines of the brick itself

I am confident HH will take care of you

-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00nothing View Post
I can't believe it another brand new pole cat another pile of parts I am so ready to give up but I know I can't I wish I could just blame myself but I know this is not me, flying along perfectly straight all of a sudden dives hard to the right side as I go to bank that way. Now this isn't a drop or flip over with to much stick this is slight aileron and boom nose in.

Pick it up check control surfaces another screwed nose whatever it all seems good must have been the idiot with the radio. Slow stick it around for a bit seems good bring it in let her cool and take it out to rip, 2 mins in she dives like a shot duck.

The rudder is in complete lock tear her apart in the field exact same issue as my last plane utterly locked and when I do get it to move it will not center. I am way to pissed to think right now but apparently the dsmx tx's may have some issues so who knows what it is now all I know is I am not happy right now and really hope horizon takes care of this issue.
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:16 AM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Just tried getting some video to show on here (to hard to do with one hand) but found something very interesting, if I get the servo moving between the locked end points (manual turn gear to unlock) and apply any sort of elevator no hands near the rudder inputs it automatically forces a rudder lock.

Huff what tx are you and your brother using
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Anyone in here flying an sbach I may go buy one tomorrow till The polecat issue gets sorted but want to be sure nobody is getting the same issues
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:55 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,219 Posts
brother is using a Dx5e and I am on a Dx7... what are you using?

btw... I have mine dialed in with recommended throws, control rod settings... + 50% expo ... but being suspicious of servo lock outs before (I've seen that on my UM P51 & Sukhoi XP in the past) instead of high rates running at 100% I pulled it back to 95% (low rates at 70%)

Quote:
Just tried getting some video to show on here (to hard to do with one hand) but found something very interesting, if I get the servo moving between the locked end points (manual turn gear to unlock) and apply any sort of elevator no hands near the rudder inputs it automatically forces a rudder lock.

Huff what tx are you and your brother using
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:12 AM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Dx6i dsmx version

Ya i did the exact same thing reduced d/r as well as reduced the travel adj. tonkeep it slightly below the manuals throws. Was really hoping it would just be fun from here on out. A good friend of mine has the sukhoi xp and has never experienced anything like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
brother is using a Dx5e and I am on a Dx7... what are you using?

btw... I have mine dialed in with recommended throws, control rod settings... + 50% expo ... but being suspicious of servo lock outs before (I've seen that on my UM P51 & Sukhoi XP in the past) instead of high rates running at 100% I pulled it back to 95% (low rates at 70%)
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:34 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
Gotta say, these issues certainly don't make the Pole Cat that attractive a prospect
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Gotta say, these issues certainly don't make the Pole Cat that attractive a prospect
If this were an isolated incident i would say it's still a great plane but it's a little perplexing that it's happened to me twice and to others as well. It's made a bit wary of all the UMX planes. But horizon isn't the company they are because they dish out bad products I am sure this will be fixed immediatly.

The polecat is such a fun plane well worth it once any issues are corrected
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
it's 3 reports so far... kinda isolated but then there are only like 20 different posters that own it and talk in here

personally the polecat has been a very nice kitty for me.... all that's gone wrong is the spinner sucks and crumples easy, and the brushed motors in these things suck and have all been replaced in all my planes after less than 100 flights

it's easily my favorite brushed micro I have
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:42 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
Quote:
If this were an isolated incident i would say it's still a great plane but it's a little perplexing that it's happened to me twice and to others as well. It's made a bit wary of all the UMX planes. But horizon isn't the company they are because they dish out bad products I am sure this will be fixed immediatly.

The polecat is such a fun plane well worth it once any issues are corrected
Seems odd considering that there's nothing new in the plane's electronics.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:39 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,075 Posts
I have a hard time getting the batteries loose from the Velcro. They are sticking too tight.
Anyone have a trick to removing the battery? I was thinking about a small loop of some type to slide under one end.
For what it's worth, I have Velcro brand very thin white/clear Velcro on my batteries, and the stock Velcro in the plane.

Pretty good if that's the only complaint I have about this plane.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
I have a hard time getting the batteries loose from the Velcro. They are sticking too tight.
Anyone have a trick to removing the battery? I was thinking about a small loop of some type to slide under one end.
For what it's worth, I have Velcro brand very thin white/clear Velcro on my batteries, and the stock Velcro in the plane.

Pretty good if that's the only complaint I have about this plane.

Use a bit of tape to make your own pull tab on the battery that's longer than the one that are on them
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Just spoke to support at horizon as I expected they are going to take care of my cat, but more importantly the issued has been well documented in the hopes that if it becomes an occurrence that is repeating itself they can address it.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:49 PM
USA, CO, Pueblo
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Just spoke to support at horizon as I expected they are going to take care of my cat, but more importantly the issued has been well documented in the hopes that if it becomes an occurrence that is repeating itself they can address it.
So I was flying my Pole Cat the day after I got it, it kinda got away from me and all of a sudden it started a nose dive, I pulled up and NOTHING happened, the rudder and ailerons seemed to respond but then I lost sight of it, and never found it. I searched for nearly 3 days, I would have searched longer but I ordered the pole cat and sent it to my in laws house because we went down there for vacation, I have never had a problem like this before and am an experienced pilot. Is this the sort of thing I can talk to Horizon about, I mean I understand there will be people that lose planes but mine lost all elevator, I really dont feel like its my fault.

Tony
tonebone is offline Find More Posts by tonebone