SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
yeah the polecat is the same size, extra 300 is not, it's the size of the beast and sbach
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:51 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
Thanks, apothecarion.

I haven't seen an SBach or Beast box either, but I'll see if I can find some pictures of one.

The SBach seems good value for money compared to the brushed UM planes, apart from the horrendous price of the batteries for it, and I already have a big pile of single cells.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
I found a youtube clip of the Extra 300 box. It does look pretty big.

E-flite UMX Extra 300 3D Unboxing (3 min 9 sec)
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:14 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
the extra 300 box IS bigger. as of right now, its probably the biggest UM box.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:27 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Ask and you shall receive!

Extra has the biggest box.
Sbach is bigger but not as big.
Beast and Sukhoi have the same size but Beast is thicker.

I sometime wish HH would have made only one or two size of boxes max. But hey, I've learn to live with it!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Amen Brother
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:43 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
Brilliant. Thanks, RealGambler. That's exactly what I wanted to see.

The 4-Site box is also SU-26 sized, but thicker (I've got one, and it's on the same pile of boxes).

I like biplanes but the Beast is the one I'm least tempted to get. It just seems too heavy for it's size, from the videos I've seen of it. I like micro planes to be able to fly slow.

I'll probably get a Pole Cat soon. I really like the looks. I just might get the Extra 300 too. There's a BNF Basic version of it that's just the plane without a battery or charger. That's the cheapest option.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:54 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Got my Polecat today and MAN....it such a nice looking plane in person....really nice...
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Brilliant. Thanks, RealGambler. That's exactly what I wanted to see.

The 4-Site box is also SU-26 sized, but thicker (I've got one, and it's on the same pile of boxes).

I like biplanes but the Beast is the one I'm least tempted to get. It just seems too heavy for it's size, from the videos I've seen of it. I like micro planes to be able to fly slow.

I'll probably get a Pole Cat soon. I really like the looks. I just might get the Extra 300 too. There's a BNF Basic version of it that's just the plane without a battery or charger. That's the cheapest option.
The polecat is really neat, but the Beast will fly slower if that's important to you.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:58 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Well, got my Pole Cat today and was able to maiden it. It was much windier than I preferred for a maiden but went for it any way. It went great and I absolutely love it. Only one minor problem though. After a few successful flights this afternoon I went back out this evening for a couple more flights when the wind had died down to nothing. On my very 1st flight about 4 minutes into the flight my aileron servo froze up! Nothing I tried would free it up until I got it home and opened it up. Wish I knew exactly what the problem was but after my brother and I just basically tapped the big end gear/sprocket it would would work for a while and then freeze up again. We took an air can and blew out the servo real good thinking maybe there was a tiny bit of debree (from what I don't know) in there and now it "seems" to be working. Will try it again tomorrow morning and see how it goes. If it continues of course I'm going o contact HH and see if they will replace it. Oh...btw, since I had the top off already I decided to put a 5043 prop on. We'll see that does. I'll report back.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:34 AM
Super Man's cousin! No cape!
Australia, New South Wales, Wangi Wangi
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Intrested in the pole cat... Might pick one up when they come up if Horizon does something about their customer service!
Ultra_Spitfire is offline Find More Posts by Ultra_Spitfire
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:51 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:

All three airplanes are simply awesome... My favorite is still the Extra 300. Here's a video of the Beast from my real bad day at the park yesterday. (crashed it a few times, but luckily, damage is minimum). In the middle of the video, I'm flying it slower, and close. I kind of like the scale look... Don't watch the last minute of the video if you don't like seeing nasty crashes!

Warning: Beast video, not pole cat...
A bad day with the UMX Beast (5 min 48 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
oilas.. you prolly just got a bad set of gears, my msr came with servo gears that were not cut well at the factory causing it to lock on me... replaced the gears and it worked fine.. so when you call hh try to get a whole servo replacement but just use the gears and save the rest for when a whole servo goes out one ya
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:07 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apothecarion View Post
oilas.. you prolly just got a bad set of gears, my msr came with servo gears that were not cut well at the factory causing it to lock on me... replaced the gears and it worked fine.. so when you call hh try to get a whole servo replacement but just use the gears and save the rest for when a whole servo goes out one ya
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I'll do. However...in the mean time now that it "appears" to be moving freely again I'm about to go outside and try a flight with 5043 prop and spinner on er'. I'll try to get some video of it.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Is the box the same size as the SU-26 and P51D? I'm wondering if it would fit on the same pile

I've wondered about the size of the E-Flite Extra 300 box too. I haven't been able to find a picture of one but I assumed it must be quite a bit bigger. I may buy one, but I'll have to work out where to keep it first, and how practical it is to transport it in the box. I can take my SU-26 or P51D to the park in a large plastic bag quite comfortably.
You can transport all planes in a plastic bag with the exception 4-Site and Extra 300 because they are to fragile. The Extra 300 is very long and come with the biggest box.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli