HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:56 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanExec View Post
There you go again chuck! Alluding to that last thing you haven't told us yet....maybe a pylon course or micro timing system in is the works? Can you imagine 10 or 15 of those things running around a few poles?
you might be able to use one of the free webcam timing systems out there, just as long as all the planes are different colors

http://sites.google.com/site/easylapcounter/
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:16 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,414 Posts
No guys the Hurricane i have here is the E-Flite 25e one, i have not heard of any more micros at this stage

as for the reason behind this plane i think some have hit it on the head, not everyone can afford or want a plane like the Sbach as it is beyond their skill/price range, BUT! they do like the "Looks" of a racer so this is an entry level style racer thats cheap to buy and a lot will already have the batteries for it, i think it will sell well

I must admit when first announced i thought the same as you guys Why! when the Sbach has come out, but when thinking logical it makes sense

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:21 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Something to keep in mind RE the Polecat vs Sbach, according to horizon, the Polecat weighs in at 1.25 oz (35.3g) (stated flying weight, I'm assuming that includes the battery) , and the Sbach 1.95 oz (55g) without battery, or add another 13 grams for it's two cell to total out to 68 grams, almost twice the weight of the 'cat! It's also lighter than the trojan by 3.5 grams, and the same weight as the 4-site.

Plus, the cat looks to have a pretty thin wing profile, vs. the Sbach, as well as a more aerodynamic fuse. Even if she's slower, I doubt it will be by much. The Sbach gets there with a $180 worth of brushless, two cell muscle, whereas the polecat looks to get there with efficient aerodynamics and weight. My guess is the limiting factor will be the champ prop. Throw on a higher pitch/lower diameter, and your in for a ride. It might still be out run by a sbach (sporting twice as much power!) but it will still be the fastest of the parkzone birds by a wide margin.

Another way to look at it: embrace the brushed motor as a factory spec, required for league racing (formula micro?). Now it becomes more about the racing than going for raw speed.

Edit: Chucks reply came in as I was typing, but I agree that looks and price are big factors here. personally, I'm hoping she's less of a handful than the UMX birds or the 26 XP, but still is able to punch through the wind. That said, I'm Looking forward to hearing back on your maiden chuck!
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Jun 30, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,414 Posts
The Pole Cat has Landed.............

The Pole Cat has Landed

lads this planes profile looks awesome

i wasn't expecting the truck till about 11am, i had just got out the shower, so it's arrived early, i have to just finish hanging the washing, then i'll pop down the street for supplies for the weekend, then it's home a a few photos for you to have a good look at this one

AggressorBLUE, i agree and i tell ya this plane is slick too, i'll get some close ups of it with the XP so all can see, well i'll go finish my jobs and get on with it

cheers chuck
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:58 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Well said blue!!!
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,414 Posts
hung the washing but said "dam It' to the shops i'll go later

heres the first lot of photos for you guys to look at

the foam is near smooth "ALL" over the molding marks are very few, this plane is slightly bigger than the XP, it has smaller Ailerons , Rudder and Elevator, bigger wing area, Tail area, oh! did i mention this plane looks "Awesome!"

anyway heres a few photos i'm off to the shops now

cheers chuck
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:30 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
Great pics Chuck! Thanks for this, I can't wait for you unbox vid and maiden flight report! What a sharp looking little bird!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Wow, looks awesome!! However I am not sure why it would be any faster than the SU-26 XP as the wing looks about the same thickness. I do like the fact that it is longer and has a slightly larger wingspan. The paint looks great and the bottom stripes are exactly what I prefer on the bottom of a wing. I am sure I will have to buy one

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
It does look fantastic, and finally HH has learnt to mold these foamies properly. However, I cannot help thinking how redundant this plane is today. With the SBach, and the market flooded with XP bargains, the number of potential buyers is very limited. Yes, it will be easier to fly indoors, but the SBach offer so much more versatility.

Anyway, it's the same .... in a new wrapping, Arnold probably didn't spend too much time making it happen, and maybe I'm wrong and it will sell like hot cakes, you never know, however, I believe they could have spent the R&D more wisely. Seth, if you are listening, do a Dornier 335 'Arrow' with the Mossie brick, that would bring bragging rights back to the UM line!
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:20 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
Seth, if you are listening, do a Dornier 335 'Arrow' with the Mossie brick, that would bring bragging rights back to the UM line!
I like your line of thinking, just one more thing, when (not if but WHEN) lightweight and reliable retracts become common, I believe that's when you'll see that explosion in WW II types that others have predicted.

We're on the cusp of another improvement for UMs that's another order of magnitude or better over what we've seen over the last few years.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:02 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
My next UM plane... Damn these things are like collecting Hotwheels as a child.. I just can't stop
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:24 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,198 Posts
definitely a good lookin' plane...I'm a sucka for red-white-blue

are we given any time lines regarding these little guys arriving at our LHS... late summer or fall... or Christmas'ish?

thanks for the pics Chuck, looking forward to your vid!

****UPDATE**** should be avail mid July per Seth in this vid (at about the 8 min mark)

HorizonHobby.com On The Horizon On The Horizon 6-30-11 (11 min 55 sec)
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Jul 01, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:13 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
That finish looks much better that early UMs. Still not sure she will be much different than the XP, Chuck - get back from the shops damnit!
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:06 AM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
204 Posts
Beautiful, so happy they continue to churn out Ultra micros, saves me having to build balsa ones with Cox TD.010's (mind you that is great to do also)
Where are the JETS? Not Banana Hobby ones but PZ or E flite??????? Come On!! 2 cell speedy jets by Christmas Please!
I understand the coreless route (cost) however I think an AP05 will look real nice in this Polecat!
pilatus mike is offline Find More Posts by pilatus mike
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:52 AM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
425 Posts
Where are the jets, and also, where the heck is the first UM bipe? Flyzone makes a UM Albatross and now Triplane, when is PZ going to follow suit?
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy