HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,147 Posts
all these grrrreat flight reports and no videos being posted, aaaah phewy!!

are we supposed to just take your word for it?

coooome on guys, break out the vids!!
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:56 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
just got back in from flying my maiden flight.

Hate to sound like all the others but it flys awesome. Inverted flight is better than any other UM plane on the market. Does outside loops all day. Fast for a Brushed setup but doesn't compare to the Beast or Sbach. Flys great, likes to rip around pylons full tilt with no tip stall. Not much in the way of vertical, as much as any of the other brushed UM series. Makes the most beautiful landings, floats and glides right in. This is much more of a great indoor flyer than the Sbach or Beast. It will be one of my favorite UM planes.

another happy customer
Thanks for the write up! I opened one up today at the hobby store, and the smooth foam should be standard now on all...If I had extra money I would consider lol
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
all these grrrreat flight reports and no videos being posted, aaaah phewy!!

are we supposed to just take your word for it?

coooome on guys, break out the vids!!
I tried to get a video but the camera guy couldn't keep up. Need to find someone else...
RCRobbie is offline Find More Posts by RCRobbie
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
Not much in the way of vertical, as much as any of the other brushed UM series.
That's what I don't get...I could have sworn someone had said it had great vertical...
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:05 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,404 Posts
i have another vid of the pole cat flying indoors, also in the same vid is the Sbach, the 300 Extra 3-D, the T-28, the Corsair, the mosquito and many other planes, will try and get it up later today

BUT! yes it would be good to see some others

Bryan, try a good battery i think you will see an improvement

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
i have another vid of the pole cat flying indoors, also in the same vid is the Sbach, the 300 Extra 3-D, the T-28, the Corsair, the mosquito and many other planes, will try and get it up later today

cheers chuck
Cool, can't wait to see it!
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:38 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post

cheers chuck
Awesome!
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Jun 2008
666 Posts
Man I do love how this plane flies. I brought it out with my Sbach today and my nephew came along. He's about 8 and when I flew the Pole cat he loved it. I brought out the Sbach and he said "is that the same thing?" which I guess is understandable since they do look similar in design. Although when I opened it up to WOT he new it wasn't the same plane.

Great little racer though, love to fly it in small areas and the roll rate is fantastic.
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,174 Posts
That would be me I fly this bird alot now and really enjoy it's flight character. It will go vertical with authority and at the top go into a nice hammerhead after that an outside loop after that an inside loop after that fly inverted really nice and easy after that on high rates it will roll so fast you forget how many times it rolled over after that,you're zipping around an imaginary pylon course beating up the competion after that, it'll slow down enough to take another deep breath and do it all over again,after that it'll come in on a nice glide slope with alittle power on and touch down with you very mush satified that FINALLY they GOT it right. This is the what it should be . Nice clean design and flying ablities that are easy to do. I think this wil be the better of the planes made. I'm buying another one just to keep around in a box for the future. Hope they have spare bare parts so we can paint them ourselves .
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,174 Posts
OH yea AFTER THAT make a VIDEO of what you did After THAT take it easy. LOL
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:43 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
I guess some peoples "vertical with authority" is different than others.

I am running Hyperion 160 cells in mine. My P-51 has every bit as good as vertical as this plane has.

That aside it still is definately one of the best planes in the micro series. It flys so well in other areas it more than makes up for it. Flys inverted almost hands off, that is a huge plus. Outside loops are effortless. I'm sure it will become my most flown plane, especially during indoor season.

I guess the only thing it is not good at is getting its video taken!
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
Spain, Aragůn, Huesca
Joined Apr 2011
135 Posts
A question for all you Pole Cat experts.
I learnt to fly on a Champ and have progressed to other R/E/T planes of about 1m span. I'm now looking to get my first plane with ailerons.

I like the convenience of flying UM's in the field next to my house which gives me maximum opportunity for real life stick time. Now, most recommend the UM Trojan as a first aileron plane after the Champ but I simply do not warm to it's looks. Whereas, the Pole Cat........yummy!

So, my question is. Would the Pole cat be too much of a jump from the Champ?

Thanks in advance,

artisan.
artisan23 is offline Find More Posts by artisan23
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan23 View Post
I learnt to fly on a Champ and have progressed to other R/E/T planes of about 1m span. I'm now looking to get my first plane with ailerons.

I like the convenience of flying UM's in the field next to my house which gives me maximum opportunity for real life stick time. Now, most recommend the UM Trojan as a first aileron plane after the Champ but I simply do not warm to it's looks. Whereas, the Pole Cat........yummy!

Thanks in advance,

artisan.
Short answer, yes it is. Especially if you dont have a computer radio to tame it down more. Is it possible, yes, but not for MOST people. You will probably destroy it learning. The t-28 hands down is the best second plane. Anything very aerobatic is to much for your first aileron trainer.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:15 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan23 View Post

Thanks in advance,

artisan.
I can only tell you from my flying experience. Everyone is different.

My very first plane ever was a UM Mustang and I flew the wings off of it. (not literally). Yes, I crashed the first one a few times, not from normal flying, but from hot-dogging around. I used a computer radio, but left all expo and D/R at stock. Later I learned about expo, and it did make the plane easier to fly in a scale like fashion.

My second plane was a UM Cub, which is similar to the Champ, but certainly different than a Mustang.

Having said all that, the Pole Cat at first was pretty twitchy until I tamed down the ailerons. With that, it flys very well.

If you have your orientations down, and can tame down the ailerons, I'll bet you could fly the Pole Cat too.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Artisan what kind of controller do you have? I personally don't have the pole cat yet but if you have something like a dx6i or better you can tame down the plane with expo and setup dual rates so the plane isn't as responsive.

I was in the same boat you are but I had a night vapor. I ended up going to the t-28 with my dual rates and expo set. I think without the dx6i I have it would have been harder to learn on that t-28. So without a programmable controller I'd say the answer is you wouldn't be able to easily fly the polecat(and keep it in one piece).
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim