SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:37 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
... As for motors, it's 8.5mm, so does that mean it's the same as the Mustang and Sukhoi?
Are all the Parkzone 8.5 mm motors the same with the exception of wire length?
I asked this question a while back, but didn't see any feedback.
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:55 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
It should be the same "blackbell" motor, AFAIK.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:41 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,224 Posts
Love this little pylon plane. My low rates are just the ailerons Iset them at 65% and pretty much kept the rudder and elevator at 100%. Then high rates all 100%She like to go vertical and will do inside and outside loops till you get tired(using the 160 hyperion battery the onethey supply sucks) Very easy to fly with just rudder and elevator. Love it alittle zipper not really fast but just a load of fun.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
663 Posts
It flies much better with the battery moved forward. Probably as fast as the SBACH.
Also very fast roll rate on full rates.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:54 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
The rudder/elevator authority is my biggest concern with this plane. I'm used to 3D type aircraft with huge surfaces (even my UMX Yak-55), so I was wondering about adjusting the throws.

How's the vertical?
More than enough elevator and rudder for flying and more or less scale type aerobatics, but 3d stuff - IT IS NOT A 3D plane. That is the stuff you need the oversized elev and rudder for. Very tight loops, reasonably tight rudder turns. You do have to move the control rods in a few holes though. Several steps above the likes of the t28 aerobatic wise and pretty close to the sukhoi for rolls, loops and those types of things.
On the tail wheel, I can really understand people's concern with them hanging on grass, but I have been flying almost every um available from Horizon on an almost daily basis and all over grass with gear removed but with tail wheel left on and have broken almost every other part on most of them except the rudder/tail wheel assembly. Even my most beat up um still has the original rudder and tail wheel assembly still intact and never flown or crashed over anything but grass.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
More than enough elevator and rudder for flying and more or less scale type aerobatics, but 3d stuff - IT IS NOT A 3D plane. That is the stuff you need the oversized elev and rudder for. Very tight loops, reasonably tight rudder turns. You do have to move the control rods in a few holes though. Several steps above the likes of the t28 aerobatic wise and pretty close to the sukhoi for rolls, loops and those types of things.
Well, I've heard the Sukhoi wasn't good for 3D either, despite the larger control surfaces, so I wasn't all that disappointed. The truth is that I wanted to buy a UM and had had my eyes on the XP, but the LHS ran out, but had a couple Pole Cats in stock, so I was wondering if I should just go ahead and buy it.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:02 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Delete
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Last edited by jabsten; Jul 25, 2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: confused
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,224 Posts
This is your little voice Bryan BUY a Pole Cat they're too much fun not to get one. BUY ONE DON'T WAIT ANY LONGER BUY ONE NOW ........GET GOING NOW
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
This is your little voice Bryan BUY a Pole Cat they're too much fun not to get one. BUY ONE DON'T WAIT ANY LONGER BUY ONE NOW ........GET GOING NOW
lol...I'm sure I will. I just don't want to regret not waiting for the XP to come back in stock instead. I MUCH prefer slow flight and aerobatics to scale and racing, so I just want to be sure I'm not stuck with something I won't have much use for.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:59 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
How would you compare the flying characteristics in comparrison to the sukhoi
Stugoose is offline Find More Posts by Stugoose
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugoose View Post
How would you compare the flying characteristics in comparrison to the sukhoi
That's what I'm wondering. Sounds like the vertical's better, which is a surprise because they're on the same power system and the Pole Cat is slightly larger.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:05 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
That's what I'm wondering. Sounds like the vertical's better, which is a surprise because they're on the same power system and the Pole Cat is slightly larger.
Have you seen the video? It demonstrates pretty well what it can do. If you read on this thread and watch the video, I am pretty sure that you will find your answers
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
I'll flip through a few more. I saw the official video, which tells me what an expert can do with it. I'm curious what someone who isn't trying to sell the plane thinks
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:11 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
I'll flip through a few more. I saw the official video, which tells me what an expert can do with it. I'm curious what someone who isn't trying to sell the plane thinks
Chuckseeker made a video, and made some points/comparisons with the xp. It isn't as twitchy, won't roll quite as fast, but he said it flies beautifully like on rails. Has good vertical, and can do some good outside loops and flies inverted well. I would get this one over the xp, but I don't own the xp lol. I just got the sbach, so I don't plan on getting this one. It does look nice however.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:45 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
just got back in from flying my maiden flight.

Hate to sound like all the others but it flys awesome. Inverted flight is better than any other UM plane on the market. Does outside loops all day. Fast for a Brushed setup but doesn't compare to the Beast or Sbach. Flys great, likes to rip around pylons full tilt with no tip stall. Not much in the way of vertical, as much as any of the other brushed UM series. Makes the most beautiful landings, floats and glides right in. This is much more of a great indoor flyer than the Sbach or Beast. It will be one of my favorite UM planes.

another happy customer
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!