HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:48 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
639 Posts
I am a male and an engineer. We don't read manuals except as a last resort.
I only opened the plastic bag to get the number stickers out.
Anyway, my CG was a little aft, so I removed some more foam and moved the
battery forward about an inch to get the CG in the range from the manual
Richard Cox is online now Find More Posts by Richard Cox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:56 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly who bragged View Post
... On these little um's I don't know if any of mine had one (a manual) or not.
however, you had previously said:

Quote:
...but the manual has the factory suggested (CG)in it.
Unbelievable. You tell a guy who asks what the CG setting should be that's it's in the manual (neglecting to tell him what the setting is)....and then you suggest that reading UM manuals is not warranted because they contain nothing worth noting.

Yes, that's as unbelievable to me as someone asking what the "original" (factory suggested) CG is without so much as bothering to check the manual!!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
I am a male and an engineer. We don't read manuals except as a last resort.
Anyway, my CG was a little aft, so I removed some more foam and moved the
battery forward about an inch to get the CG in the range from the manual
Interesting, I usually prefer a bit nose heavy vs tail heavy, but so far my experimenting has resulted in being most satisfied with my 160ma batteries all the way to the back. I don't have the foggiest idea where the cg is in relation to where the manual says it should be though. Maybe I'll check it out just for grins. I just move mine around till I get what I like then pretty well stick with that. My rolls at lower speeds really straightened out when I got the battery to the back. With my batteries toward the front unless I really had the throttle on, rolls would result in quite a bit of altitude loss. If I was flying fast enough they weren't bad though with the front of the battery about where the gear fits.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:20 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
I wouldn't even do that much.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
however, you had previously said:

Unbelievable. You tell a guy who asks what the CG setting should be that's it's in the manual (neglecting to tell him what the setting is)....and then you suggest that reading UM manuals is not warranted because they contain nothing worth noting.

Yes, that's as unbelievable to me as someone asking what the "original" (factory suggested) CG is without so much as bothering to check the manual!!

Gene K
I told him that because I remember seeing it in the online manual when I tried to check about the adjustment to the aileron control horn. I didn't tell him what it was because I didn't pay any attention to what it said and didn't have the foggiest notion what it was. I still haven't opened the manual (if I have one) from the box and see no reason to do so. Sorry if I disappoint. But I do know from checking the online manual that it did not even mention having an adjustment for aileron movement on the control horn as other um's do which a previous poster verified that it does. So the manual ain't much help if it doesn't have such basic information as to where the movement adjustment for the ailerons is.

Don't know what you think I'm bragging about. I have nothing to brag about in this hobby. Way too old to brag and way too new to this hobby to have anything to brag about.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:00 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Sounds like a great plane that would make a good companion to my Champ and T-28. Forgive me if it has been already mentioned but is the landing gear easily removable? I pretty much have to fly off grass.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:06 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Forgive me if it has been already mentioned but is the landing gear easily removable? I pretty much have to fly off grass.
Yep!
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like a great plane that would make a good companion to my Champ and T-28. Forgive me if it has been already mentioned but is the landing gear easily removable? I pretty much have to fly off grass.
As above, yep easy to take off. And over grass seems to be super durable - don't ask how I know. Let's just say I have tested its durability already and it passes with flying colors. Nary a mark. The only mark I have on mine was because of the wheels - made a great landing on a parking lot, but a bit closer to the the parking stops than I should have been and the brakes didn't work well enough. Nose cone is now a bit crumpled looking, but that's all. I did add two pieces of tape. Out of the box, the top part is taped on the sides and back - I added two small pieces of tape across the joint at the front of the plane where it slopes back to meet the sides. This made it really solid in the front end. Maybe not needed, but totally unobtrusive and can't hurt.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,011 Posts
Quote:
And you might want to move or remove the tail gear too. Being taped to the rudder, if it hangs on something, it's going to try to tear the rudder off too.
Some of these micros, I have moved the tail wheel to the fuse, bent it and taped on.
Others, like this one, I took it off all together.

Grass landing is going to be my method too.
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:01 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Thanks a lot. Sounds like a winner. Guess I had better go order one now! Keep these reports and videos coming please!
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
And you might want to move or remove the tail gear too. Being taped to the rudder, if it hangs on something, it's going to try to tear the rudder off too.
Some of these micros, I have moved the tail wheel to the fuse, bent it and taped on.
Others, like this one, I took it off all together.
I was wondering when someone would mention this.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
965 Posts
Today was flying mine at the local club field in about 8 to 10 mph winds. Still very stable and smooth even with the wind. Had a LOT of groundspeed downwind....

Full range of rolling circles, 4 point rolls, inverted flight, inside and outside loops, knife edge (not enough rudder and/or too nose heavy), tried upright spins (again too nose heavy).

Guess I'll have to check the CG. I've been putting my battery forward over the landing gear because the velcro is so strong I can barely get the battery out and putting the battery forward makes it easier (big fingers!).

Oh, forgot to mention- great landings in the wind on our paved runway. Kind of hard to taxi back though- wind kept wanting to roll it backwards

I forgot the darn video camera, sorry.
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:31 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
mine is "out for delivery". Can't wait to get it in the air with all these great reviews.
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:18 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,011 Posts
Flight Report

Yesterday finally had the chance to fly the Pole Cat.

Initially, the ailerons were very sensitive and flying was twitchy. I ended up with 75% dual rate and 20% expo, and now if flys very smoothly.

Rudder and elevator needed a little more throw. Moved the link in one hole from the outside end.

Now that I have the controls set up the way I like, the Pole Cat is a good flyer and seems predictable.

It doesn't feel as fast as the UM Mustang (had one), but looks a little faster than the UM Trojan (only flow with others that have one).
I really like the color scheme too. Much easier to see than the Mustang.

I also have removed the landing gear, and tail wheel. As noted above, the tail wheel is taped to the rudder and can do bad things if it's snagged.
You can bend the wire and tape it back to the fuse if you wish to use it, and be more secure.
I didn't much care for the steering on the tail. A little cross wind blew it around pretty good.

Overall, it flys well. Not a speed demon, but stable and predictable.
The foam on the tail is really thin. Seems even thinner than the other UM's. Probably won't be long before I ding that up.

No real negatives to report. Just the tail wheel mounting, which isn't unique to this model.
So far, so good after I set it up for my style.
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Last edited by Woody_99; Jul 25, 2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,623 Posts
The rudder/elevator authority is my biggest concern with this plane. I'm used to 3D type aircraft with huge surfaces (even my UMX Yak-55), so I was wondering about adjusting the throws.

How's the vertical?