HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:48 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
I was kind of wondering that too...most of the UM planes seem plenty fast (at least if you're trying to keep them in a small space).
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:21 AM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,222 Posts
Picked up my little Pole Cat at my LHS and took it out this morning for it maiden. It flew realll well. I used only 60% for low rates on the airlerons 100% on rudder &elevator. Then just 100% high rates. Plenty of zip and handles like a charm. Very easy on the controls at low rates, roll lazy but switch over to 100% and boy talk about a roll. I did inside loops and outside loops as much as you want plenty of power. Not really a super speed demon but nice enough, Her slow flying is excellent. All I needed for trim on the maiden was a touch of up evelvator, or just move the battery to the middle position and she good to go. I find that it's a better plane then the Sukhoi(but that's a totaly different plane) I like the way it flys good control all around. This would be a good plane after you handled the UM T-28 and want alittle more, and then when you got this down the XP-26 would be a next choice,then the Sybach or Beast. I didn't really need to use the rudder as much as you would on the Sukhoi it will handle the bank and yank idea really well(good to know and use in the pylon races) It will climb near vertical with authority. Got around a good 8-12min flight using a fresh 160 hyperion battery(highly reccomended) the one provided is just too weak in my opinion. For $99 it's a great deal and another thing it's nice to see the aileron servo back inside the fuse like the T-28,P-51,Sukhoi. Much better than the Corsair. I recomend it highly for anyone who like a good areobactic racey plane. I'm happy with this bird and the workmanship is spot on.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Last edited by NEWBEFLYER; Jul 23, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:24 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
How do you think it compares to the XP in aerobatics? I normally fly 3D aircraft (38" DW Yak-54, Common Sense Yak-54, UMX Yak-55) and was looking to buy the XP, but my LHS didn't have any, but did have Polecats. At the same price, I'd considered buying it.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,095 Posts
Well I may be the first at something , early this Am , before Sunrise I went to maiden the Polecat , it got away from me and I lost the ability to see it well enough to fly it , oh no , throttle off in hopes , drive to search for it , fifty fifty chance of hitting pavement or grass , yes it hit pavement , foam spinner wasted , picked the remains off of the prop , stabilizer broken , instant glued it back on ,after returning back home , everything seems to be ready for the next flight attempt now .
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Jul 2011
27 Posts
Just got back from my maiden and what a sweet plane! I have a feeling, pending next weeks release, this could quickly become the most popular Parkzone UM to date. I will always have this plane with me when I go out. Winds were 5-10 mph and the plane had no trouble. Landings are easy, I was able to cut the throttle and glide right in. It flies nice and stable like the T28 and has good aerobatics similar to the Su-26XP. This plane will fly anyway you want it to, best of both worlds. If your having second thoughts about getting this plane, just go out and buy it. You won't regret it! Thank you Parkzone, you did a great job on this one!
RCRobbie is offline Find More Posts by RCRobbie
Last edited by RCRobbie; Jul 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
661 Posts
I did it because I could. Actually easy conversion.
Remove the old brick by carefully cutting the white glue, then twist it around until you can free the pushrods from the servos. Remove the brushed motor/gearbox.
Modify the foam slightly to allow the new brick to fit farther back. This moves the CG back to where it was and allows room for the new motor. Glue in with a little hot glue.
Cut the old pushrods so that the CF is about 1/4" behind the center of the servo arm.
Remove the old pushrod ends and use small heat shrink to re-attach with the surfaces centered.
Cut a piece of 1/8" light ply about 1-1/2" x 1/2". Drill a tight fit hold for the E-Flite 180 motor and glue it into the ply. I use connectors for the motor, but you could solder the motor wires directly to the brick, checking the rotation.
Remove enough foam from the nose cutout to fit the motor, then glue the ply/motor in with hot glue. Tilt forward to get a little downthrust.
Cut out the bottom of the fuse starting at the rear of the battery cutout to fit the 2S 240 battery from the Beast.
Tape the fuse back together and go fly.
Clocked mine at 53 mph.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:07 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
I did it because I could. Actually easy conversion.
Remove the old brick by carefully cutting the white glue, then twist it around until you can free the pushrods from the servos. Remove the brushed motor/gearbox.
Modify the foam slightly to allow the new brick to fit farther back. This moves the CG back to where it was and allows room for the new motor. Glue in with a little hot glue.
Cut the old pushrods so that the CF is about 1/4" behind the center of the servo arm.
Remove the old pushrod ends and use small heat shrink to re-attach with the surfaces centered.
Cut a piece of 1/8" light ply about 1-1/2" x 1/2". Drill a tight fit hold for the E-Flite 180 motor and glue it into the ply. I use connectors for the motor, but you could solder the motor wires directly to the brick, checking the rotation.
Remove enough foam from the nose cutout to fit the motor, then glue the ply/motor in with hot glue. Tilt forward to get a little downthrust.
Cut out the bottom of the fuse starting at the rear of the battery cutout to fit the 2S 240 battery from the Beast.
Tape the fuse back together and go fly.
Clocked mine at 53 mph.
Sweet!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
661 Posts
Can someone confirm the CG on the original? My conversion seems a little tail heavy.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
Richard

I have not figured out yet where I like the cg on mine, but the manual has the factory suggested in it. I have a question for you though. As you have had it opened up, does the aileron bellcrank have two holes like the t28 and other um planes? And if it does, which one is it in out of the box. Seems like it has a lot more travel than most um's in the stock outer hole.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
661 Posts
Thanks, Bobly. I haven't opened the manual yet, but I will.
The pushrod is in the outer bellcrank hole. The aileron servo is the long throw version,
and yes, it does have a lot of travel. I dialed my dual rate to 60% and it is still
quite manuverable.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:31 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
Can someone confirm the CG on the original?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox
I haven't opened the manual yet, but I will.

Unbelievable!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
What's unbelievable? If it's the manual thing, On these little um's I don't know if any of mine had one or not. I did look in the polecat one to see about the bellcrank and it didn't even mention it. If you have a whole bunch of these things, there isn't much to be found in the manual that you shouldn't already know. The manuals are pretty basic for sure. I don't pay attention to factory cg suggestions and just decide where I like it best, and everything else is pretty redundant from plane to plane.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
OK, enough is enough!!

all you guys out there selfishly buzzing your Pole Cats around, running lipo after lipo through it, enthralled with its beauty and speedy good looks, whilst the rest of us peasants can only sit here and watch our tracking info sloooooowly, ever so painfully sloooow, showing it's seven dog-gone days away

we can only live vicariously through your videos and reviews

you all should be ashamed of ourselves!

ooooh my, have some pity on us and flood the thread with pics and HD videos, for the love of Pete (whoever that is), we beeeeg you!!!
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Jul 24, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:49 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
What's unbelievable? If it's the manual thing, On these little um's I don't know if any of mine had one or not. I did look in the polecat one to see about the bellcrank and it didn't even mention it. If you have a whole bunch of these things, there isn't much to be found in the manual that you shouldn't already know. The manuals are pretty basic for sure. I don't pay attention to factory cg suggestions and just decide where I like it best, and everything else is pretty redundant from plane to plane.
LOL, I know what ya mean. Every single manual for most of my UM's are still in the factory plastic still stuck to the bottom of the foam. The only one I have opened in the past 2 years is when I got the extra 300 3d, since it was my first 3d plane.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,000 Posts
I actually haven't gotten the one out of the pole cat yet, just looked it up on the internet before I got the plane to check about the bell crank.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the little devil though. I have dubbed it my backyard sbach. My yard is too small for someone with my limited abilities to do much more than just fly the sbach around with the wheel side down most of the time, but the polecat lets me do rolls, loops, some inverted flying, etc in the smaller area I have. It isn't the plane the sbach is, but it isn't a slouch either. I find it a bit touchier than the sbach, but it seems to be super durable and quite capable of any aerobatic maneuvers I am capable of. It's not a 3d machine at all, but I am not into that style anyway. I think it should be a good seller given it's abilities, durability, price and being cheap and hassle free to fly for hours with a pocketful of $3 batteries. It's my current backyard aerobatic trainer to learn more stuff to do with the sbach when I have the room.

I'm surprised that apparently some shops haven't gotten any yet. Our local shops have had them since early in the week and still have stock.
Last edited by bobly; Jul 23, 2011 at 09:37 PM.