SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:46 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger turbo View Post
in reply to what planes i fly precision aerobatics katana etc and loads of war birds with a few jets thrown in.i would say that im in the bracket of advanced flyers (can do 3d and pattern ) just looking for something to play with when im away on holiday next week

cheers
You're ready for the Sbach then.... Though, if you love warbirds, you may like the look of the Beast as it is a bit cheaper (pretty much the same as the Sbach, but quite a looker). On the other side, 1S batteries are a lot cheaper than 2S batteries, so the Pole Cat could be a good choice. But at the same price as the Cat, you could also get a Sukhoi XP, which also work on 1S. You'll like any of those 4 airplanes for sure!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:14 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
WooHoo! HuffDaddy and I ordered our Pole Cats this morning. Hobby Shop says we should have them by Wed. Can't wait!!

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:16 PM
Green Bay, Wis.
Joined May 2003
225 Posts
Got my PoleCat yesterday. Maiden flight today flew 4 batteries. Started on low rates and was able to do nice loops and rolls.
Then went to high rates. This is the best flying um I have had. I think is rolls just as fast as the Sukhoi I had. It will also slow down even better than the um t28 I had.
I could fly close in under good control for very slow flight-almost stalling. Nice for slow maneuvering in tight spots and for touch and goes.
It easily did and inside outside 8, no problem with the outside loop. It is very responsive with fast maneuvering on high rates and higher speeds.
Flew in calm winds and winds up to about 5mph with no problem.
I got about 6 ĺ minutes of flight time on Parkzone 120 batteries and 8 minutes on nano-tech 160s, taking the batteries to 3.70volts.
JimL is online now Find More Posts by JimL
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:23 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post
Got my PoleCat yesterday. Maiden flight today flew 4 batteries. Started on low rates and was able to do nice loops and rolls.
Then went to high rates. This is the best flying um I have had. I think is rolls just as fast as the Sukhoi I had. It will also slow down even better than the um t28 I had.
I could fly close in under good control for very slow flight-almost stalling. Nice for slow maneuvering in tight spots and for touch and goes.
It easily did and inside outside 8, no problem with the outside loop. It is very responsive with fast maneuvering on high rates and higher speeds.
Flew in calm winds and winds up to about 5mph with no problem.
I got about 6 ĺ minutes of flight time on Parkzone 120 batteries and 8 minutes on nano-tech 160s, taking the batteries to 3.70volts.
great review! sounds like a fantastic plane
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
971 Posts
Got mine today! Working so can't fly but maybe later. Did bind it and discovered the motor runs really smooth compared to any of the other UM planes I have. Either I got lucky or they've improved the power system.
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:34 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
mines due in Monday, I can't wait now with these kind of reviews.
edge_pilot is offline Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
971 Posts
I now have 2 flights on my Polecat. I can report that it is very smooth and I have to say that its the best flying UM plane I've flown. I agree with the above post on its flight characteristics. This one out of the box is just perfect.

I actually spent part of the second flight doing touch & goes, its so smooth on takeoff and landing had a lot of fun just trying to grease it on. Takeoffs are straight with just a touch of right rudder. I never used full throttle, was lifting off at maybe half. Bounced a few landings, greased a few of them.

I copied the setup from my UM Extra 300, then turned down the low rates some. Worked like a charm.

It cruises at about 1/4 throttle just fine, when you accelerate to full throttle it moves out pretty good. Stays smooth at full throttle too. I had the battery all the way in the front of the battery well, so next flights I'll start moving them back and see how it does as the balance moves back. I expect that even all the way back it will fly fine, likely will slow down even better.

This one's a keeper!
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:19 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,027 Posts
I've got one too, but too darn hot to try it out!

As for spares, it looks to use Champ props. I picked up a pack of two that has the tiny spinners in it. Also picked up a couple of the correct spinners.

As for motors, it's 8.5mm, so does that mean it's the same as the Mustang and Sukhoi? Are all the Parkzone 8.5 mm motors the same with the exception of wire length? Just curious as I have some spares of those.
I can see in the cowl the motor has a couple of small holes in the front, like the Sukhoi motors.

Anyway, hoping to fly it soon, and now that I have a couple of spares, I'll never have a problem!
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
27 Posts
My first post! I wasn't going to get this one but did today with all the good reviews. Can't wait to fly it! It's a little breezy right now and 104 degrees so might maiden tomorrow morning. Will post a review after...
RCRobbie is offline Find More Posts by RCRobbie
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,069 Posts
Saw it at the LHS , beautiful plane , looks great , and it followed me home
Have the low and high rates set as per the manual , balance point checked with the batts , ready for some cooler weather to go try this beauty out .
Did I mention that it really looks great
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:14 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,406 Posts
Glad to see you guys found this little beauty to be just that, and just like i reported in my review vid Yes this is a great plane and i think once people start to see it, fly it, they will understand what i have been trying to say about how it is different than the XP26 but still has plenty of performance, yes it's not a UMX but then i'm sure there will be plenty of UMX style planes to come, this is a brushed plane that is top of the heap

cheers chuck

PS ok guys lets see some more video's
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:19 PM
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
mine should be in tomorrow, but alas im working all day both saturday and sunday so i will have to pick it up on monday cant wait!
fwa2500 is offline Find More Posts by fwa2500
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2008
668 Posts
Picked mine up tonight but it's raining here so hopefully I'll get to maiden her tomorrow. Great looking plane, once again I don't like the wheel pants, but oh well, no biggie. Love how the foam is so smooth and shiny looking like Chuck said. Could almost be mistaken for a different material in certain light. Anyone have any videos yet?
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
648 Posts
Picked one up at the LHS yesterday. Flew it this AM. Nice, but not fast enough.
Brought it home and converted to brushless using Beast components, AR6400LBL,
E-flite 180 motor, Beast prop and battery.
Easy conversion, took about an hour.
Maiden tomorrow.
Will gun it.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Jun 2008
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
Picked one up at the LHS yesterday. Flew it this AM. Nice, but not fast enough.
Brought it home and converted to brushless using Beast components, AR6400LBL,
E-flite 180 motor, Beast prop and battery.
Easy conversion, took about an hour.
Maiden tomorrow.
Will gun it.
Can we see some pics of the conversion?

Although I'm not sure why you'd want to convert it, if you want something faster fly the Sbach or Beast no?
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member