SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
I think you were right about the LVC, coreman. I flew my box of batteries Sunday and it happened again when I tried my Thunder Power 1S 165mAh (this was one of the batteries I used last week when this happened). Although the charger indicates it is ready to go, the motor shuts down about 20 seconds into the flight. I was able to dead stick back to pavement with no damage. When I returned the throttle to zero and advanced it to attempt taxi, it worked for a few seconds and then cut off again. Dead 1S...
It was the most expensive 1S I've bought and it was the first to die.
it didn't HAVE to be the cause but I have seen it happen several times. The battery isn't dead, but it no longer is rated at 25C and so the voltage falls significantly when you tax it, causing LVC.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
If the place you store your batteries had a huge temperature change that damaged the batteries that could cause it.

First thing to do is change the motor.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:11 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
I think you were right about the LVC, coreman. I flew my box of batteries Sunday and it happened again when I tried my Thunder Power 1S 165mAh (this was one of the batteries I used last week when this happened). Although the charger indicates it is ready to go, the motor shuts down about 20 seconds into the flight. I was able to dead stick back to pavement with no damage. When I returned the throttle to zero and advanced it to attempt taxi, it worked for a few seconds and then cut off again. Dead 1S...
It was the most expensive 1S I've bought and it was the first to die.
There is something to be said for marketing right there.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
MiniAviation 190's have worked very well in my PC. Only recently have I converted to the Hyperion 240 1S 25C lipo, the defacto lipo for many of my Micro's. (Mustang, J-3 Cub, Champ, T-28)

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:02 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
220 Posts
My poor polecat is gonna need a pile of glue when I get home tonight.

While flying this afternoon, the polecat had a brownout (I'm using a dx6i) and went spinning straight into the dirt at full throttle. Both blades of the propeller broke off. The fuselage is broken on the top just behind the cowling. On the bottom it's broken just behind the motor mount. It's also broken just in front of the wings, and again just behind the wings. The whole plane has a sad, squishy, slinky feel when I hold it.

It's done this before, but never had such a brutal crash --- at least four or five times in the past, the ailerons have locked up and it's gone spinning to the ground. I always thought it was the aileron servo jamming, until today.

Today, the plane was headed directly at me, and was maybe only five feet away, when it locked into a spin. I immediately threw the throttle stick all the way down and started wiggling the aileron stick furiously. The plane kept rolling and, more importantly, the motor was still going full throttle when the plane hit the ground. That's why I'm convinced this was a brownout and not a servo lockup.

I guess I'm going to have to try and find a different flying site to determine if there's some interference causing my connection brownouts. I've always flown the Polecat in the same place, right next to a VERY large college apartment complex, where I can only assume there's a 2.4 gHz wireless router in every unit. Anybody think all those routers might be causing my problems?
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Last edited by FunkeyMonk; Nov 29, 2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added grisly details of the damage.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,640 Posts
I used to get wireless hits on my full-size airplanes, so I'd believe it.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
My poor polecat is gonna need a pile of glue when I get home tonight.

While flying this afternoon, the polecat had a brownout (I'm using a dx6i) and went spinning straight into the dirt at full throttle. Both blades of the propeller broke off. The fuselage is broken on the top just behind the cowling. On the bottom it's broken just behind the motor mount. It's also broken just in front of the wings, and again just behind the wings. The whole plane has a sad, squishy, slinky feel when I hold it.

It's done this before, but never had such a brutal crash --- at least four or five times in the past, the ailerons have locked up and it's gone spinning to the ground. I always thought it was the aileron servo jamming, until today.

Today, the plane was headed directly at me, and was maybe only five feet away, when it locked into a spin. I immediately threw the throttle stick all the way down and started wiggling the aileron stick furiously. The plane kept rolling and, more importantly, the motor was still going full throttle when the plane hit the ground. That's why I'm convinced this was a brownout and not a servo lockup.

I guess I'm going to have to try and find a different flying site to determine if there's some interference causing my connection brownouts. I've always flown the Polecat in the same place, right next to a VERY large college apartment complex, where I can only assume there's a 2.4 gHz wireless router in every unit. Anybody think all those routers might be causing my problems?
This happened to me in a large open field several times, I tried replacing Rx, TX, nothing worked, so it is now lying in a landfill somewhere
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:55 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivcal View Post
This happened to me in a large open field several times, I tried replacing Rx, TX, nothing worked, so it is now lying in a landfill somewhere
Well, mine's been glued back together and it's flying again. Though the nose is more glue than foam now -- there's even a "window" of CA all the way through to the motor mount.

Lately I've been rebinding the plane every time I arrive at the local airfield. My superstition is that in the binding process, the tx and rx will select the best frequencies for the area that day. I'm told that's what happens anyway when they're powered up, but rebinding makes me feel like I'm doing something to help. In any case, I haven't had it lose connection again since that last time.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
220 Posts
Hey Folks --

I guess it's time for me to leave this thread. After that post from last week, I ordered a new airframe...... but not a Polecat airframe!

The spirit of my beloved and decrepit polecat lives on now as a rebuilt FrankenSukhoi Su-26m/xp. Farewell, cats. Hello, Russkies!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2775
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:03 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
910 Posts
Four flights this afternoon...60 degrees, clear blue skies, light winds...priceless. I alternated flights with my GWS Formosa and enjoyed 1.5 hours of uninterrupted fun. Good times...
IfIHadWings is offline Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:52 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,268 Posts
I like having fun swapping between my Polecat and XP on calm days
You've got to have two (or more!) to fly or these little brushed motors get upset.

I nearly got the Spitfire for windy days but that went for the EQQ instead...

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:42 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
Hey Folks --

I guess it's time for me to leave this thread. After that post from last week, I ordered a new airframe...... but not a Polecat airframe!

The spirit of my beloved and decrepit polecat lives on now as a rebuilt FrankenSukhoi Su-26m/xp. Farewell, cats. Hello, Russkies!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2775
There is no need to stop posting in this thread. Its guts still provide you with the credentials.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
There is no need to stop posting in this thread. Its guts still provide you with the credentials.
Well.... I am still around....

But the Pole Cat's guts are dwindling down. I just replaced the aileron servo yesterday with a long-throw model. It means the only parts of the Pole Cat left are the aileron control horn, and some pieces of carbon in the tailfeathers, made out of the Pole Cat's control rods.

(This sort of "evolution" of one plane to another is how I get new planes without taking up more space in our small apartment. )
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:35 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
I hear you on the space thing. I have my planes and heli's all over the place. Space is not allowing anymore. I have had good luck with my micros lately, so I haven't had the option to get new stuff. I am sure it will happen soon though! I just jinxed myself there lol
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:45 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I hear you on the space thing. I have my planes and heli's all over the place. Space is not allowing anymore. I have had good luck with my micros lately, so I haven't had the option to get new stuff. I am sure it will happen soon though! I just jinxed myself there lol
I hear you on the jinx. We were about 3 hours through our 4 hour indoor session yesterday and I was chatting with one of the guys and mentioned that we hadn't had any real midair carnage today and within 10 seconds the only two planes in the air came together and crashed. Boy did I get yelled at! Sort of like never ending a day by saying you will take "just one more flight" because that is almost always exactly what is left in the airframe.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair