HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:37 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,411 Posts
Yep I read them too Doomsday and as said was not having a go at you or anyone else who was unfortunate to get one of the, what seemed like, bad batch, it was a pity as it is such a nice looking/flying plane if you had a good one

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,959 Posts
Hey chuck - your opinion requested

I have been using my sukhoi as my aerobatic trainer and it is getting pretty beat up and the motor has finally given out. Trying to decide to get a new one, or something else. I'll add that my Sbach is bar none my favorite, but still like having something slower to learn stuff on. Do you think the pole cat would suffice for learning basic maneuvers (not 3d). Thought it might a bit easier to learn stuff on than the Sukhoi, but not sure it's up to the task. I love to fly the um t28 for relaxation, but it just won't do much other than loops and level inverted flying, doesn't roll good at all.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
974 Posts
I think batteries are a really big issue- more so than the micro planes. I've had almost all of the different brands and seem to have success with only a few batts. Doesn't matter the brand, some work, some don't.

I almost wonder if the connectors or wires have a problem. The batteries I call "bad" do fully charge. When I go to use them within 60 sec of flight time I'll hear the LV cycling start. And those particular batts don't have nearly the power before that of the "good" ones.

I had a UM E300 that I almost sent back to HH becuase it seemed underpowered and the LV cutoff started almost immediately. Thought it might be a bad motor, but then tried one of my old but known good batteries. Completely different and obviously nothing wrong with the plane.

When I get my Polecat, I'll test fly it on known good batteries first. Thats the only way I know to be sure to get a good evaluation of the plane.

Anyone have any ideas about why so many bad small Lipos? I am wondering if there's bad connections or wires inside the cover, or if maybe the chargers are killing the batteries. If it was the chargers I'd expect it would kill all the batts not just most of them.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic- just wanted to say that everyone might want to use known good batteries so this Polecat gets a good rep right away......
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
no offense taken chuck! The UM Corsair has been the 1 warbird that I have always wanted in a UM version. I was and still am saddened that mine flew the way it did. Yes I had high hopes for this plane but that had nothing to do with how it actually flew. But due to the love I have for the corsair, thats why it has hit me so hard and why I consider it the worst UM plane experience I have had yet.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Last edited by DoomsDay; Jul 12, 2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Edit note: sorry for the hijack with the corsair talk.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I have been using my sukhoi as my aerobatic trainer and it is getting pretty beat up and the motor has finally given out. Trying to decide to get a new one, or something else. I'll add that my Sbach is bar none my favorite, but still like having something slower to learn stuff on. Do you think the pole cat would suffice for learning basic maneuvers (not 3d). Thought it might a bit easier to learn stuff on than the Sukhoi, but not sure it's up to the task. I love to fly the um t28 for relaxation, but it just won't do much other than loops and level inverted flying, doesn't roll good at all.
IMHO i think the XP and the Pole Cat are 2 very different birds, the XP is a lot more "touchy" than the Pole Cat, so yes the Pole Cat is easier to fly, BUT! it is not going to perform like what the XP can in the right hands

this is one of those questions only "You!" can answer, do you feel like something a little different, then get the pole cat want the same as, then buy the XP

then again parts are available you know and for the cheap price of $99 in the USA ($129Aud here) for the Pole Cat, buy that and just spend a little on parts for the XP then have the best of both worlds

cheers chuck
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenelder View Post

Anyone have any ideas about why so many bad small Lipos? I am wondering if there's bad connections or wires inside the cover, or if maybe the chargers are killing the batteries. If it was the chargers I'd expect it would kill all the batts not just most of them.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic- just wanted to say that everyone might want to use known good batteries so this Polecat gets a good rep right away......
the Hyperion i have are nearly a year old and still seem as good as new i also use the same 160mAh single cells joined in my 2s Beast so these batteries have been well and truly "Used!" i always land before i hit LVC usually around the 7min mark, i really think the C rating is what the problem is with the stock batts, the hyps deliver right till the end

Funny thing is i have had no trouble to date with the 2 stock 2s 120mAh batteries i use with the beast, it mainly seems just those little 1s batts

cheers chuck
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:36 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
Quote:
I think batteries are a really big issue- more so than the micro planes. I've had almost all of the different brands and seem to have success with only a few batts. Doesn't matter the brand, some work, some don't.

I almost wonder if the connectors or wires have a problem. The batteries I call "bad" do fully charge. When I go to use them within 60 sec of flight time I'll hear the LV cycling start. And those particular batts don't have nearly the power before that of the "good" ones.

I had a UM E300 that I almost sent back to HH becuase it seemed underpowered and the LV cutoff started almost immediately. Thought it might be a bad motor, but then tried one of my old but known good batteries. Completely different and obviously nothing wrong with the plane.

When I get my Polecat, I'll test fly it on known good batteries first. Thats the only way I know to be sure to get a good evaluation of the plane.

How many ultra micros have this problem? Maybe its the wires. What batteries are you using? I think you batteries are dead or the wires maybe. Trouble shoot your charger, and airplane to rule those out first. Then see if it is the battery.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:31 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:

I agree one hundred and ten percent. Good batteries like hyperion's can make a huge difference.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:44 AM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
974 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments on batteries. For the record I've used the eFlite batteries, hyperion, thunderpower, and turnigy. I've had great ones and bad ones of each brand. Right now I have a TP that is amazing, keep pushing it but never any problems. Have another one bought at the same time, can't get 60 sec out of it.

Chargers: have used those little single cell that come with the UM, the 4 port that comes with the UM 4-site, and adapters connected to a hyperion 720i. Still haven't identified which, if any of the chargers, are creating a problem.

I am wondering if they crimp those micro connectors onto the battery leads that maybe they aren't getting the crimps quite right. It is hard to believe that many single cell batts are bad.

But thanks to all of you!
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
I have been following this thread and the plane does look great. I am in the "brushless fan club" and wish this plane came with one. I have to thank Chuck for all his reviews I found on youtube. You were the reason I bought a Beast and I love that plane !!! I would also like to see this plane come out with lots of stickers so we could have air races at the field. 3-5 of these little guys racing around would be a lot of fun ! Also IMHO Turbo is also correct that different batteries/props make a huge difference in how these little planes fly. I have flow "gassers" for many years and batteries seem to be like the type of engine you have. All engines are not the same even if they are the same size. A racing .46 vs a no-name .46 are not the same in power even if they are the same size. Hyp batteries and E-batteries are not in the same league. Batteries really do make a big difference on how these little planes perform. Props are also important on the how aircraft perform.

Nick
nickimde is offline Find More Posts by nickimde
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:25 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your comments on batteries. For the record I've used the eFlite batteries, hyperion, thunderpower, and turnigy. I've had great ones and bad ones of each brand. Right now I have a TP that is amazing, keep pushing it but never any problems. Have another one bought at the same time, can't get 60 sec out of it.

Chargers: have used those little single cell that come with the UM, the 4 port that comes with the UM 4-site, and adapters connected to a hyperion 720i. Still haven't identified which, if any of the chargers, are creating a problem.

I am wondering if they crimp those micro connectors onto the battery leads that maybe they aren't getting the crimps quite right. It is hard to believe that many single cell batts are bad.

But thanks to all of you!
Cycle the batteries with the good charger. See if any of the batteries are bad. Is only one thunder power battery defective? Also try wiggling the connector when the LVC occurs after 60 sec. That should rule out the connector, and battery, if those work.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:54 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
"ParkZoneís first Ultra Micro Series Formula 1 airplane, the Pole Cat, is a slippery little racer"...that's slow!

Dear Horizon,

We have seen the (UM brushless) light.
The Beast and Sbach are spectacular!!
(Looks like they are discussed more in this thread than the Pole Cat.)

Isn't it time to move on??

UMX Stryker by Christmas!!

Please!

Thanks,

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
"ParkZoneís first Ultra Micro Series Formula 1 airplane, the Pole Cat, is a slippery little racer"...that's slow!

Dear Horizon,

Please!

Thanks,

rc
Would like an UMX Habu too . An umx stryker would go pretty fast, it'll be a blur at full throttle!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:36 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post

Dear Horizon,

Please!

Thanks,

rc
A umx stryker would be soooo awesome!
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:46 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,736 Posts