HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Yesterday when I was flying really low I hit the right turn too fast and soft crashed it on the grass when it ended up tearing a small piece of foam off the rear wing. I'm sooo pissed I fixed it with some Foam Safe CA and I just got this Pole Cat. I was on my 2nd pack batt when I was flying and didn't get to enjoy more flight time on it.
civichb98 is offline Find More Posts by civichb98
Last edited by civichb98; Jul 24, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:05 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I am considering it, the spit, or the T-28 for my next plane. I can't afford all three, so I have to pick just one.
Nonsense! Micro's are just like potato chips. You can't have just one!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by civichb98 View Post
Yesterday when I was flying really lowe I hit the right turn too fast and soft crashed it on the grass when and ended up tearing a small piece of foam off the rear wing. I'm sooo pissed I fixed it with come Foam Safe CA and just got it. I was on my 2nd pack batt when I was flying and didn't get to enjoy more flight time on it.
That is the very reason I keep my planes as far off the ground as possible. The PC is just too quick to fly close to the ground. It goes from 20 up to the ground far too quickly for my nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Nonsense! Micro's are just like potato chips. You can't have just one!!

RD
I agree 100%, but my budget says I can only get one right now lol
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:56 PM
REALJDMEK9
Miami, FL
Joined Oct 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug sipprell View Post
nonsense! Micro's are just like potato chips. You can't have just one!!

:d

rd
+1
civichb98 is offline Find More Posts by civichb98
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
So how does the XP compare to the PC? I am considering it, the spit, or the T-28 for my next plane. I can't afford all three, so I have to pick just one.
GBLynden,

I've been flying all except the Spitfire (obviously), and love all of 'em...probably because they fly differently. Each is unique and special in its own right, which is why other pilots are encouraging you to get them all.

IMHO, here's how I'd briefly describe and rank them in ascending order of skill required:

T-28 = Basic 4-channel um trainer. Flys pretty slow and is great for a sm,all space field. Stable with some dihedral and undercambered wing, so pretty forgiving...but that means she doesn't take much wind. Does warbird aerobatics pretty well, although the roll rate is greatly improved by moving to the inner hole on the horn (inside the fuse). A really fun basic plane to fly and a staple in most pilots' hangars to go back to for relaxing flying.

PoleCat = A step up from the Lil T-Bird. Faster and more maneuverable. Takes a larger space to learn her in, but can slow down once you do. Will do more aerobatics and has a much faster roll rate. Not as forgiving and less inherently stable due to wing design with no dihedral, but that means she takes more wind and it makes her fun to fly inverted. Thicker wings make her more durable, although the tail surfaces are thin and a bit fragile. Designed as a pylon racer, she's a REALLY fun plane to fly. Flys and lands like she's on rails once you get used to her.

Sukhoi XP = Argueably the best um aerobatic trainer. One more step up from the PoleCat. Larger tail surfaces and ailerons make her more aerobatic than the PoleCat. Similar tough wing design combined with being well built makes her pretty much indestructible if you're flying over grass. Can do fast pattern and aerobatic flying or slow down for harriers and relaxing flying. Definitely the most versatile of the three. As such, she almost always goes to the field with me.

Spitfire = I'm guessing she'll fall somewhere around the PoleCat level of skill. Her AS3X technology will help, but she has a narrower track so landing could be trickier. She's a warbird, so will do only warbird aerobatics. Looks well built and fun to fly. I've got one on order and will post a flight report when she comes in.

Hope this helps. Choose based on where your skill level is and what kind of flying you want to do. If you love warbirds and pattern flying, or are wanting to build your skills at this stage, go with the T-28 or maybe the Spit. If you love aerobatics and are comfortable and confident with basic 4-channel flying, go with the PoleCat or Sukhoi.

If you're in this hobby to stay and grow, you will eventually want all of 'em. So do like most of us do, and move up in stages 1 by 1.

Enjoy your flying! That's the most important thing!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
T-28<p-51<PC<XP

I've progressed from champ to p-51 to polecat. So if youre thinking t-28....might feel a little too slow. Now my regular lineup to fly all 3, starts with champ, mustang and polecat. 10 lipos gone fast!

Also most lhs have test models, just so you can actually see them flying instead of an Internet video.
minchomexa is offline Find More Posts by minchomexa
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:03 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
Thank you for the help guys! I will say that I started with my Champ, horribly crashed an F-18 EDF 15 seconds into its first flight shearing off the left wing. Then I decided to buy my P-51 and then I got my PC after I got comfortable with with the P-51. I fly all of them except for the F-18 and I never crash them. I pretty much just fly them around and play it safe though.

The reason I am considering the wide variety I am is because I have Amazon.com points I plan to use towards the purchase. The Spit isn't on the list of available options on there yet, so it may just come down to the T-28 and XP for now while everyone tests out the Spit

I like the idea of the T-28 as a more relaxing 4-channel experience. I enjoy my PC and P-51, but both are more of a rush than I prefer sometimes. My employment is in transition right now, so this hobby is my fun time when I am not working through that process.

For the XP, I like the idea of challenging my flying a little more and I am guessing that due to the bright colors, it will be easier to see than the P-51 in the evening.

So there you have it
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:40 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,329 Posts
I keep meaning to get a UM T-28 for a relaxing flyer for the park.

Took the PC & XP to the park the other day with my Nephew. Both were too demanding to fly, I could chat to him but not properly. A T-28 would be perfect to buddy up with him too...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:30 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
I normally have my Champ and one of my others with me to have fun flying time to warm up and to fly when I want to chat. I just love this hobby!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:06 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,329 Posts
Everyone seems to rave about the Champ!
If I wasn't dead set on having a nose wheel plane then I'd probably get one
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the help guys! I will say that I started with my Champ, horribly crashed an F-18 EDF 15 seconds into its first flight shearing off the left wing. Then I decided to buy my P-51 and then I got my PC after I got comfortable with with the P-51. I fly all of them except for the F-18 and I never crash them. I pretty much just fly them around and play it safe though.

The reason I am considering the wide variety I am is because I have Amazon.com points I plan to use towards the purchase. The Spit isn't on the list of available options on there yet, so it may just come down to the T-28 and XP for now while everyone tests out the Spit

I like the idea of the T-28 as a more relaxing 4-channel experience. I enjoy my PC and P-51, but both are more of a rush than I prefer sometimes. My employment is in transition right now, so this hobby is my fun time when I am not working through that process.

For the XP, I like the idea of challenging my flying a little more and I am guessing that due to the bright colors, it will be easier to see than the P-51 in the evening.

So there you have it

Great! Good thinking! The T-28 would help you get more comfortable with your P-51 and Polekitty. Once you get there, you'll LOVE the XP!

Minor warning: Yes, the Sukhoi XP is very visible...much better than the P-51. But in late evening's fading light, if you are flying where there are a lot of trees, when coming straight towards you the dark blue leading edges of the wings can disappear in the dark green background and you're flying a yellow spot! Gotta watch out for that! Otherwise, her visibility is super!

Good luck with your job transition. And you're right...this hobby is wonderful "therapy". You can't think of job problems or anything else while you have a plane in the air! AND...with the hand-eye-brain coordination, you're staving off Alzheimers disease!

Tom
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience with me Tom. I appreciate it.

I am still a little torn as to which one to get and my fear is that neither will be around for that much longer so I want to make sure the one I get is the one I will be the most happy with.

On a side note, my PC seems to have slowed down a lot lately. I am wondering if I am just getting better or if the battery is losing its pop or a combo of the two. I have six new 160 lipos coming from HK (I believe they are Nanotechs or something like that, so those will be a good test once they arrive. I may also try one of the Thunder Powers I use in my P-51 to compare in the meantime. HK said in their e-mail to me that it could take up to 45 days for me to receive them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Everyone seems to rave about the Champ!
If I wasn't dead set on having a nose wheel plane then I'd probably get one
Explain your nose wheel plane preference to me. I have to hear it
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,329 Posts
Simples really, all my planes are aerobatic taildraggers.
Taildraggers are ok but I want to do ROG propper takeoffs and landings, mains first then nose instead of 2 or 3 pointers

Plus I need an easy flyer for me as well as my nephew.
I took him to the park and let him buddy fly my XP. It was too fast for him and I think put him off a bit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,607 Posts
A Champ is a perfect plane to turn people on to the hobby. I remember the guy at the LHS telling my that is the one I should go with and my face must have looked like this

What I wanted was a Mustang or something more cool. The box is really cheesy and doesn't do the plane justice though. It is so fun, handles wind better than my other planes, and climbs up into the sky like crazy. I will take it up a couple hundred feet and then just float around in the thermals. It is so relaxing and fun!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
731 Posts
GBLynden,

I am still a little torn as to which one to get and my fear is that neither will be around for that much longer so I want to make sure the one I get is the one I will be the most happy with.

Both are very popular planes and I don't see either being discontinued anytime soon. There's nothing like either of them available. Only liklihood would be if HH converts everything to 2s brushless. That may happen, but would take awhile. So I think you're ok to take your time and do what you want to. 'Sides, if they should go that route, their recent pattern has been to drop the price on the model they're discontinuing. If that happens to either of these, you could get both!

On a side note, my PC seems to have slowed down a lot lately. I am wondering if I am just getting better or if the battery is losing its pop or a combo of the two.

You may indeed be getting better and she doesn't seem to be flying as fast. The better you get, the more you'll be in control and able to slow her down when you want to.

In addition, try revving the motor up for a second or two while you hold the plane. Listen to the motor's pitch. Does it sound like it used to? Is the pitch as high as it was, or has it dropped indicating that the motor isn't spinning as fast as it was? That would be an indication that the battery is weak...either failing or not fully charged.

I often do this test before flying these little guys. They do take a lot of power and it's a good way to do a pre-flight check. If the battery is weak for any reason, I'd rather find out while the plane is still safely in my hand!

All of these higher performance micros take good batteries. The ones you have on order should help alot. Way to go!

Tom