HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE View Post
meeting up would be very cool but are you close to the town of Port alberni on Vancover Island, British Columbia./Canada? probably not im thinking lol.but i like that idea,.. i've been wanting to video my flights anyways. O.K. then,that will be my new next thing to do and i'll try to gitter-done today if i can
Yeah, I live just South of Abbotsford. Get to recording that video!
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
FWIW: I am a fair distance from your QTH, but have had the opportunity to travel in and around BC, notably Powell River, Quesnel, Port Albernie, Crofton, Elk Falls, Victoria, New Westminster, Vancouver, Kamloops. Haven't been back in the area since 2005. In my opinion, unsolicited as it is, BC is one of the prettiest Provinces in Canada, one of the few places you can go skiing in the morning, then get in some fine sailing in the late afternoon! (Whistler/Vancouver).

Feel free to remind me why you wish to run a Champ motor in the Pole Cat.

RD
hmm,good question about motor,. thats all they had in stock and i was told by many, many many ppl said that champ=mustang same thing? polecats motor looks identicle,so i figured why not,.. but now you saying that i bought 2 champ motors one in champ,one in polecat,. one in polecat doesnt seem like it has the power it should have? now dont get me wrong,.. i'll have to make sure my batteries were fully charged i will try again.this time there is now-way i "over ran/burnt-out" these 2 new motors.another question 4 yea i had to put in an old reciever just temperarly,. no rudder servo on it at all,.. that wouldnt affect power would it?
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Yeah, I live just South of Abbotsford. Get to recording that video!
yea abbotsford is just a ferry away =) not far at all. today i didnt get able to make a vid =( but i'll work on it real quick like for ive been wanting to make a vid regardless. just need polecat running at least lol!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
hmm,good question about motor,. thats all they had in stock and i was told by many, many many ppl said that champ=mustang same thing? polecats motor looks identicle,so i figured why not,.. but now you saying that i bought 2 champ motors one in champ,one in polecat,. one in polecat doesnt seem like it has the power it should have? now dont get me wrong,.. i'll have to make sure my batteries were fully charged i will try again.this time there is now-way i "over ran/burnt-out" these 2 new motors.another question 4 yea i had to put in an old reciever just temperarly,. no rudder servo on it at all,.. that wouldnt affect power would it?
The Champ motor is the same physical size as the PKZ3616 Mustang motor, but that is where the similarity ends. The Mustang motor is stronger, a hotter wind if you please. I still think the Pole Cat motor, ostensibly the same as the Mustang motor only with a longer lead connector, is a bit hotter than the Mustang motor, but I can't really document this. For sure, placing a Champ motor in the Pole Cat will result is lesser performance, all else being the same. Changing the receiver should not have had any effect on the motor's performance, except for possibly being amp limited and thus shutting down (SLVC or LVC) the motor early.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
and yes vancover island is awsome,. ive lived many different places but yea port alberni is my home town,. lived in crofton when i was young.victoria is just the right size of city,. i like it there.where i live isnt too far from tofino either "paradise on the island" i'll be goin there very soon to camp and maybe surf/boogy-board the waves,if not that,just meet all the peeps on the beaches/camping that have traveled there from around the world,.. so yea i dont have to travel,peeps come here!.idk why but im like a magnet and ppl come up to me all the time"probably see me as a local" i used to be =D it's one place i highly recomend to go to in the summer.and like myself i carry/backpack my stuff around to camp free," i know all the hot/secret spots "unless you have a deep full wallet to pay for sites.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:23 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
The Champ motor is the same physical size as the PKZ3616 Mustang motor, but that is where the similarity ends. The Mustang motor is stronger, a hotter wind if you please. I still think the Pole Cat motor, ostensibly the same as the Mustang motor only with a longer lead connector, is a bit hotter than the Mustang motor, but I can't really document this. For sure, placing a Champ motor in the Pole Cat will result is lesser performance, all else being the same. Changing the receiver should not have had any effect on the motor's performance, except for possibly being amp limited and thus shutting down (SLVC or LVC) the motor early.

RD
just seems like champ plane get higher rpm's than [polecat with champ motor.unless like i was saying that batteries werent good idk
i'll have to re-test to see for sure thoe
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
oh yea another reason for getting the champ motors was because it came with mounts,.. i seen for myself that mix-matching different mounts and different motors doesnt seem to "fit" quite perfect?

teeth seemed to be too tight together when meshing together
Last edited by B.C.NEWFIE; Jul 18, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:37 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
just woundering peeps,.. im guessing that we all have a polecat lol.my question is for you all,... is what are your "pro's and con's" dislikes and likes with the polecat?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:18 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,776 Posts

Looks, Relaxing handling (compared to my XP!), Small enough to take anywhere

Tail feathers are weak, Needs more speed - to say it is supposed to be a racer, my XP is faster... Mine might have a weak motor, I'm looking at getting either an SX motor or upgrading it to 2S Brushless
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:28 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,241 Posts
Likes: Quick/fast, very responsive, fun! It is faster than my P-51 (though it is close) even though I fly my 160 Thunder Powers in my P-51 and the stock battery in the PC.

Dislikes: It is weakly designed. I have literally crashed my P-51 several times and it has required no repairs. I just landed with a normal landing with the PC and the next flight caused the rudded to spaz out on me. I then proceeded to crash horribly causing some damage all over the plane. It bent the rudder and required surgery to get it air worthy again.

The other thing I don't like is those wimpy little foam things on the wheels. I had to rip mine off to keep things balanced.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Last edited by GBLynden; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:58 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
As I recall from last winter's indoor flying, the guys that put the Mustang motors in the Champs got a lot more power so I don't think they are the same (other than dimensions) and I seem to remember something about the end cap being a different color?
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
As I recall from last winter's indoor flying, the guys that put the Mustang motors in the Champs got a lot more power so I don't think they are the same (other than dimensions) and I seem to remember something about the end cap being a different color?
I put a slightly used but still-good UM P-51 motor in a flyin' buddy's Champ and a Sukhoki XP motor in mine. WOW! The mod turned both of 'em into flyin' "hot rods"! 1/2 throttle is like what WOT used to be. Will climb quickly in short distance to 100' with 1/2 throttle! And flying in wind is a whole lot more fun...just playing around in the wind, now!

To be fair, I have to say that I'm flyin' with Hyp 160 batts. Original stock batts wouldn't get this performance, even with motor mods. The new PKZ 150's might, though, since I understand they're much improved with a higher C rating.
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:18 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
i like everyones feed back as i think we all share pretty much common things with our polecats and fits my thoughts also.definitly more power/speed,tail feathers are fragil.also is the sukoi motor the "hottest" motor to put in polecat with no Mods? had no idea that it would fit,and im betting they are same priced $$$
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
yes the p-51 caps are black as to white on the champ,also leads are longer.one thing thoe,being such small motors and such i put champ motor in rather mustang this time.my thoughts were that more power would be needed to get to the motor"longer wires" and i was thinking that also could be stressing motor/batteries seeing that it's not the specified motor. oh yea ,. now im waiting for the 3rd board that will be in my polecat. the original one died,. second died now waiting in the 3rd,... just a consern becuase i dought hobbyzone will be so "giving" to me if there is a next time lol
Last edited by B.C.NEWFIE; Jul 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: forgot
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
does everyone have to problem also as the polecat always wants to do a nose plant when landing,.. always a perfect landing,but at the end of runway my plane is always giving me the "moon" lol